Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
Whilst we all agree that Whitts was one of our best players, and his premature death was a complete tragedy, i’ve never agreed with naming stands after former players, managers, owners etc.
A clubs history is all encompassing, and goes on day after day. Imo, no one character should be singled out.
Billy Hardy played 590 games for us over 20 seasons. Phil Dwyer played over 470.
Len Davies scored 179 goals for us, over 12 seasons. Don Murray played 146 consecutive games fo us. The list goes on.
Not keen on Statues either. Fred Keenor was undoubtably one our our greatest captains, but it’s a team game. Hugh Fergusson who scored arguably the most important goal in our history, ended up sadly committing suicide in his 30’s
Each and every player, manager and owner are just part of the fabric of a club,
I understand that to an extent, but “bland” is the word that springs to mind with me when I think of Cardiff City Stadium with its Canton Stand, Grandstand, Family Stand and Ninian Stand.- compare it to Ninian Park with its Bob Bank and Grange End, names that don’t sound like they took someone ten seconds to come up with. If we’re talking about players who have been with us since the new ground opened, Whitt’s has to be the overwhelming first choice to have a stand named after him and, say, the Peter Whittingham Family Stand/Whitt’s End works for me because many of the kids who’d go in there would remember him.