+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take a moment for Whitts.

Re: Take a moment for Whitts.

Based on what I've heard about Whitts' personality, I think the Whitts End would quite appeal to his sense of humour. I'd say the most important people in any decision on naming a stand after him would be his family - if they were alright with it, then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    For me, "Whitt's End" does not have enough gravitas to be a respectful commemoration.
    I quite like the punery/irony due to his laidback style but can see how this would be disrespectful to some

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Based on what I've heard about Whitts' personality, I think the Whitts End would quite appeal to his sense of humour. I'd say the most important people in any decision on naming a stand after him would be his family - if they were alright with it, then why not?
    My thinking absolutely.

Whatever happens - something needs to be done

Might be a different matter if we were talking about Colin Bell. Otherwise, this/\

Fine if it's used informally by us, but not the official name. Old Trafford doesn't have a Fergie Stand.

We also need to remember that this name will last for 40 or 50 years, or more. People will come who have never seen him play, eventually never heard of him. I'd want them to want to find out who he was, rather than thinking it's a silly joke.

Guys the last thing I would want is disrespect the Great man and all his family.It was only a suggestion that I made on the basis that Peter had a very dry sense of humour and I wouldn’t have be surprised if he would have liked it himself.
    Ultimately if and a very big if,should the club decide to do anything it should be down to the family to get the final say.
    I really hope something gets done.

Whitts End is an apt name , as footy has unique humour , if his family went with it I think it would be our own quirky memory for one of our own .

Whilst we all agree that Whitts was one of our best players, and his premature death was a complete tragedy, i’ve never agreed with naming stands after former players, managers, owners etc.
    A clubs history is all encompassing, and goes on day after day. Imo, no one character should be singled out.
    Billy Hardy played 590 games for us over 20 seasons. Phil Dwyer played over 470.
    Len Davies scored 179 goals for us, over 12 seasons. Don Murray played 146 consecutive games fo us. The list goes on.
    Not keen on Statues either. Fred Keenor was undoubtably one our our greatest captains, but it’s a team game. Hugh Fergusson who scored arguably the most important goal in our history, ended up sadly committing suicide in his 30’s
    Each and every player, manager and owner are just part of the fabric of a club,

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Whilst we all agree that Whitts was one of our best players, and his premature death was a complete tragedy, i’ve never agreed with naming stands after former players, managers, owners etc.
    A clubs history is all encompassing, and goes on day after day. Imo, no one character should be singled out.
    Billy Hardy played 590 games for us over 20 seasons. Phil Dwyer played over 470.
    Len Davies scored 179 goals for us, over 12 seasons. Don Murray played 146 consecutive games fo us. The list goes on.
    Not keen on Statues either. Fred Keenor was undoubtably one our our greatest captains, but it’s a team game. Hugh Fergusson who scored arguably the most important goal in our history, ended up sadly committing suicide in his 30’s
    Each and every player, manager and owner are just part of the fabric of a club,
    I understand that to an extent, but “bland” is the word that springs to mind with me when I think of Cardiff City Stadium with its Canton Stand, Grandstand, Family Stand and Ninian Stand.- compare it to Ninian Park with its Bob Bank and Grange End, names that don’t sound like they took someone ten seconds to come up with. If we’re talking about players who have been with us since the new ground opened, Whitt’s has to be the overwhelming first choice to have a stand named after him and, say, the Peter Whittingham Family Stand/Whitt’s End works for me because many of the kids who’d go in there would remember him.

I understand that to an extent, but “bland” is the word that springs to mind with me when I think of Cardiff City Stadium with its Canton Stand, Grandstand, Family Stand and Ninian Stand.- compare it to Ninian Park with its Bob Bank and Grange End, names that don’t sound like they took someone ten seconds to come up with. If we’re talking about players who have been with us since the new ground opened, Whitt’s has to be the overwhelming first choice to have a stand named after him and, say, the Peter Whittingham Family Stand/Whitt’s End works for me because many of the kids who’d go in there would remember him.
    I think all modern stadiums are bland Bob.
    Too sanitised and soulless. The old stadiums were unique. When i think back to NP, the first thing that springs to mind, is Captain Morgans Rum 😁

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I think all modern stadiums are bland Bob.
    Too sanitised and soulless. The old stadiums were unique. When i think back to NP, the first thing that springs to mind, is Captain Morgans Rum ��

For me, it’s the horrible stench and back of the throat taste of those horrible Peter’s pasties and I never even bought one (did anyone)

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    For me, it’s the horrible stench and back of the throat taste of those horrible Peter’s pasties and I never even bought one (did anyone)
    The toilets had the same effect, the place was a slum, going over the road was the best City move since Woodruff to Rees to Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Will always take a moment for Peter Whittingham.LEGEND.
    Should name a stand after him,how about
    The Grange End Family Stand.
    “ WHITTS END “
    Update. The Trust are actively pursuing the idea of having a stand named after him.

Great news

Yes it is great news.

Also "Whitts End" has grown on me.

An email asking for views regarding naming a stand after Whitts has gone out to Trust members. I think it important to seek his family's opinion before any proposal is put forward to the club. Otherwise, The Peter Whittingham Family Stand is, IMHO a fitting tribute to a sadly missed legend.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    An email asking for views regarding naming a stand after Whitts has gone out to Trust members. I think it important to seek his family's opinion before any proposal is put forward to the club. Otherwise, The Peter Whittingham Family Stand is, IMHO a fitting tribute to a sadly missed legend.
    Agreed.