+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Lorimer

Peter Lorimer

Taken too soon at 74

RIP

Re: Peter Lorimer

RIP but 74 is a respectable and normal age to die, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Someone will probably say the same when Prince Philip kicks the bucket. Rocket shot on Lorimer if I remember rightly.

Not when you are 73.

A big part of Revie's "dirty Leeds" side of the 70's.

They were as dominant a team then as say MU were in the 90's/00's or Liverpool in the 80's.

Widely accepted to have the hardest shot in the game.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Not when you are 73.
    Very true.

Three score and ten was considered a good innings not so long ago but they say people are living longer now

It does seem strange how many of these household names are passing at around the late 60 early 70 age which I don't consider to be old.

I suppose footballers of the generation before were dying at a similar rate it was just that they weren't so well known by the masses, pre-TV.

Not when you are 73.
    Or even 66 like me.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Very true.

Three score and ten was considered a good innings not so long ago but they say people are living longer now

It does seem strange how many of these household names are passing at around the late 60 early 70 age which I don't consider to be old.

I suppose footballers of the generation before were dying at a similar rate it was just that they weren't so well known by the masses, pre-TV.
    Also there's more 'space' for news nowadays. A few decades ago you needed to be a decent name for your obituary to get in the news. Now there's guitarists from one hit wonders in the 60s who will have their death reported.

Not that this applies to Lorimer, who was a genuine known name.

Gosh another Leeds death , had a long term illness .

Wonder if these lads dying in their mid 70's didn't have the luxury of better health awareness and behaviours, and its caught up with them .

Average death rate in UK is around 81 these days ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh another Leeds death , had a long term illness .

Wonder if these lads dying in their mid 70's didn't have the luxury of better health awareness and behaviours, and its caught up with them .

Average death rate in UK is around 81 these days ??
    Yep although that average life expectancy applies to those being born these days. A new born boy has a life expectancy of around 79 and a new born girl can expect to live to 83.

Not when you are 73.
    Even less so when you are 74, like me!

I friggin’ hope not, I’m 76 this year!

A big part of Revie's "dirty Leeds" side of the 70's. They were as dominant a team then as say MU were in the 90's/00's or Liverpool in the 80's.
    Hardly. Leeds only won two league titles spaced five years apart, which is incomparable with the Man Utd and Liverpool sides you mentioned. Indeed, isn't it a commonly-held view that the Leeds team of the late-60's to the mid-70's were far less dominant than a side with their abilities should have been?

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Someone will probably say the same when Prince Philip kicks the bucket. Rocket shot on Lorimer if I remember rightly.
    He’ll live until hes 200 that ****.

RIP, perhaps one of the few likeable ones out of the bunch of dirty tw@ts that were involved with Leeds. And TLG is correct, they weren’t dominant in the late 60s/early 70s era, won a few things but were more bridesmaid than bride. Revie and his lieutenants Bremner & Giles were dodgy as f*ck with plenty of back up from other team mates. Perhaps if they’d have concentrated on football, because they could turn it on on occasions, rather than the dark arts they may have been more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    RIP, perhaps one of the few likeable ones out of the bunch of dirty tw@ts that were involved with Leeds. And TLG is correct, they weren’t dominant in the late 60s/early 70s era, won a few things but were more bridesmaid than bride. Revie and his lieutenants Bremner & Giles were dodgy as f*ck with plenty of back up from other team mates. Perhaps if they’d have concentrated on football, because they could turn it on on occasions, rather than the dark arts they may have been more successful.
    Agree completely, I remember them concentrating on playing football and cutting down on all of the gamesmanship in 73/74 and they won the title comfortably.

As mentioned above, Lorimer (along with Eddie Gray, Paul Madeley and, possibly, Mick Jones) was not one of their dirty players and was known most for his cannonball shot - City's John Buchanan was often compared to him when it came to shooting power). Lorimer stayed with Leeds through their decline in the 80s and was in their side which played us in the old Second Division - from memory, the rest of their great team had left them or retired by then.

RIP

A big part of Revie's "dirty Leeds" side of the 70's.

They were as dominant a team then as say MU were in the 90's/00's or Liverpool in the 80's.

Widely accepted to have the hardest shot in the game.

RIP.
    No they weren't. In between 1969 and 1974 they won the league twice and the FA Cup once. Liverpool did the same between '73 and '76. And Derby won the league twice between '72 and '75. Revie left in 1974 and European Cup Final notwithstanding it was pretty much over for Leeds by then. They were a good team for about 10 years like Derby, Everton and Forest in the 70s and 80s. But they never came near to dominating like Man U or Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’ll live until hes 200 that ****.
    Lizzard people innit?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Hardly. Leeds only won two league titles spaced five years apart, which is incomparable with the Man Utd and Liverpool sides you mentioned. Indeed, isn't it a commonly-held view that the Leeds team of the late-60's to the mid-70's were far less dominant than a side with their abilities should have been?
    Perhaps I should have added the word "almost" in there.
    They were certainly the most consistent team of that era (late 60's early 70's) and as you say they should really have had much more silverware than they managed.

They always seemed to be the team everyone "hated" (probably too strong a word) let's say wanted to lose, unless you were a Leeds fan of course and it was not just the league they should have won more times, the FA Cup too.

In the popularity stakes they could be considered in the same way as the aforementioned teams if not for the trophies they won.
    In fact runners-up many times, they could arguably be considered seasoned bottlers.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No they weren't. In between 1969 and 1974 they won the league twice and the FA Cup once. Liverpool did the same between '73 and '76. And Derby won the league twice between '72 and '75. Revie left in 1974 and European Cup Final notwithstanding it was pretty much over for Leeds by then. They were a good team for about 10 years like Derby, Everton and Forest in the 70s and 80s. But they never came near to dominating like Man U or Liverpool.
    See my reply to TLG.

Also you've got to remember that 10 years is almost a lifetime when you are a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Perhaps they could have won the title better... without cheating

Agree Lorimer seemed a decent bloke, as was Allan Clarke and of course Gary Sprake, perhaps a little biased with the latter

Agree Lorimer seemed a decent bloke, as was Allan Clarke and of course Gary Sprake, perhaps a little biased with the latter

Gary Sprake, in later years, was persona non grata at Elland Rd, even attended games incognito because he spilled the beans about the shady goings on in the Revie era.

Allan Clarke soon had the decentness drummed out of him after leaving Leicester. Sniffer was as evil as his team mates, dirty, sly bugger.

Very true.

My way of thinking regarding mortality is that I would have submitted an official appeal if the Grim Reaper came to take me before my 60th birthday and to consider every day breathing thereafter as a wonderful bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My way of thinking regarding mortality is that I would have submitted an official appeal if the Grim Reaper came to take me before my 60th birthday and to consider every day breathing thereafter as a wonderful bonus.
    yes, me too. My dad went at 64, so I consider having made it into my 60s as a decent result