+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Still no derby double

Still no derby double

I wonder if there are other derbies where this has happened?

The record is quite remarkable. In the 21 occurrences where either side has won the first league derby of the season, they've lost the second game on 16 occasions. I'm trying to work out how close either side has got to completing a double, but goal timing data from games, certainly pre 2000, is difficult to come by.

Re: Still no derby double

Feel like I’d only ever heard people talking about “the double” last season and surprised it was the case as I can’t remember anyone mentioning it before personally in my time following the city till then.

It is a relatively infrequent derby too, league wise, which I guess contributes a little, with a good wedge of fixtures being Welsh cup matches. Must be one of the more “meaningful” derbies in UK football (or anywhere else for that matter) where league encounters are so low?

Not complaining at staving it off for this season mind!

The derby double thing might be a relatively new ingredient, just adds a little bit more spice.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...uddle-20222443
    Beaming Mick McCarthy explains huddle celebrations as Cardiff City aim cheeky swipe at Swansea City after derby win
    The Bluebirds came out on top in the South Wales derby with a toughly-fought 1-0 win at the Liberty Stadium
    Delighted Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy said his players' ecstatic huddle celebration was a subtle reminder to Swansea City about how they celebrated like they "won the league" when they came out on top in December.
    Jacks 0 v City 1.jpg

I love that it's about the players and not the fans. They wanted it for themselves and for each other. It's good to see it means that much to them.

So it's been 30 seasons in the same league

It must be one of the only games where it has never happened with 25+ games.

It definitely makes it more interesting just because it's so strange, it's not really a big deal though, reckon Swansea would get tshirts made up of it when they do it.

It's going to happen, sooner or later....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It's going to happen, sooner or later....
    Yes you’re right, if it doesn’t in the next ten years, it’ll happen in the twenty years after that, if it doesn’t happen then it’ll happen later, as sooner has gone

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Feel like I’d only ever heard people talking about “the double” last season and surprised it was the case as I can’t remember anyone mentioning it before personally in my time following the city till then.

It is a relatively infrequent derby too, league wise, which I guess contributes a little, with a good wedge of fixtures being Welsh cup matches. Must be one of the more “meaningful” derbies in UK football (or anywhere else for that matter) where league encounters are so low?

Not complaining at staving it off for this season mind!
    I think it’s been talked about on here ever since they got promoted back to the championship.

I’d love it if we could be the first ones to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I love that it's about the players and not the fans. They wanted it for themselves and for each other. It's good to see it means that much to them.
    ^^^ this

of course the players know the fans in workplaces will love the banter when they have won, but its great to see that it means something to the players, under past managers it was just a game, maybe MM has brought into this

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    So it's been 30 seasons in the same league

It must be one of the only games where it has never happened with 25+ games.

It definitely makes it more interesting just because it's so strange, it's not really a big deal though, reckon Swansea would get tshirts made up of it when they do it.
    So would Billy the Badge 10 seconds after the fulltime whistle, don't kid yourself different