+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Easy to say that after yesterdays result, but i was one of presumably many, who were totally underwhelmed when he got the job.
    i’d never really looked at him in depth, and just had the impression he was a dour faced, run of the mill, under achieving has been.
    Since he’s been here, i found out he once refused to shake hands with Margaret Thatcher, which instantly made me admire him as a person.
    Our run of form since he’s been here has been top notch, albeit not very pretty, but none the less, very effective.
    Before yesterdays game, the threat of the Jacks completing the first ever league double between the both of us, was very real, and i was dreading it.
    Not only did we avoid that, we beat them.
    Watching his after match interview, where he applauded the players effort, and said he was going to put a coat hanger upside down in his mouth to keep a smile, really made me laugh.
    He’s never gonna get us to dizzy heights, playing scintillating football, but i’ve found a new admiration for him, and whilst he’s here he’ll get my full support
    If it all goes pear shaped, i’ll not be in the number calling for his head.
    Yesterdays result, and all it meant, has im, given him cult status already.

Re: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

I think, it's the best football we have played for a good while..
    Tom Sang was Neil Harris leaving present to us along with Perry NG.

As the song goes, "The futures so bright I got to wear shades"

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I think, it's the best football we have played for a good while.
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Seriously?
    I can't actually remember a time Cardiff were ever easy on the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    I can't remember ever seeing a City team that were less easy on the eye.

I don' t think I'm alone in thinking this is easier to watch than both Warnock and Harris' Cardiff.

I'll take you through a few of the managers who were less pleasing on the eye in your lifetime of supporting Cardiff City. DURBAN, HIBBERT/OSMAN/PHIL NEAL/RUSSELL SLADE/TROLLOPE/WARNOCK, and that's without sitting down for a cuppa and really thinking about it

The end of Harris' reign. I think its a little harsh to judge McCarthy's style at this point, he was clearly brought in and told to sort out the defence, back to basics, keep us up etc. If we're playing the same way at the start of next season then its more of a worry

Dave Jones side ?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Dave Jones side ?
    Jimmy Scoular and Jimmy Andrews also spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Dave Jones side ?
    Of course they were. Has anyone watched the recent reruns of the play off semi against Leicester?

Some people on here have very short memories.

Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.
    The start of the promotion season under Warnock was pretty good, we were ripping teams apart

Then we lost to Preston and he decided to shut up shop and grind out wins

I've always liked Mick McCarthy as a person and I've never really understood his 'dour' reputation. He's always seemed to have a really good sense of humour to me. He's also always come across as a genuinely decent, down-to-earth guy and an honest man who doesn't talk bullshit. I really like all of those things about him and always have. I find McCarthy a distinct contrast to Neil Warnock, who's an interesting and amusing character for sure, but also dislikeable in many respects.

Big Mick has done a great job since he arrived here. Those who backed Neil Harris continuously must be feeling really foolish now, especially after last night's game. What a contrast to the meek surrender at the CCS in December, with Harris outcast Flint scoring the goal and Bacuna nowhere near the right-back berth.

The football itself is still dreadful, though. I've watched City three times in a little over a week and they've been abysmal. The notion of the side keeping to the basics and playing within its limitations has been stretched to the extremes in the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea. To say City rode their luck in those matches is an understatement and quality of football has been truly appalling.

It's difficult to judge McCarthy in terms of the football at present as he's only working with what he inherited and he's getting very decent results under the circumstances. But I really hope we'll see a genuine improvement in style next season, because this lot are painful to watch much of the time.

I've always liked Mick McCarthy as a person and I've never really understood his 'dour' reputation. He's always seemed to have a really good sense of humour to me. He's also always come across as a genuinely decent, down-to-earth guy and an honest man who doesn't talk bullshit. I really like all of those things about him and always have. I find McCarthy a distinct contrast to Neil Warnock, who's an interesting and amusing character for sure, but also dislikeable in many respects.

Big Mick has done a great job since he arrived here. Those who backed Neil Harris continuously must be feeling really foolish now, especially after last night's game. What a contrast to the meek surrender at the CCS in December, with Harris outcast Flint scoring the goal and Bacuna nowhere near the right-back berth.

The football itself is still dreadful, though. I've watched City three times in a little over a week and they've been abysmal. The notion of the side keeping to the basics and playing within its limitations has been stretched to the extremes in the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea. To say City rode their luck in those matches is an understatement and quality of football has been truly appalling.

It's difficult to judge McCarthy in terms of the football at present as he's only working with what he inherited and he's getting very decent results under the circumstances. But I really hope we'll see a genuine improvement in style next season, because this lot are painful to watch much of the time.
    McCarthy has always been known as one of the tiny number of managers who speaks the truth and is likeable as a result.

If you think the football is abysmal then you clearly didn’t watch Cardiff City under Harris at all, so you are in no position to comment. You have invalidated your whole post by making that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If you think the football is abysmal then you clearly didn’t watch Cardiff City under Harris at all, so you are in no position to comment. You have invalidated your whole post by making that remark.
    You think the performances against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea were an improvement in footballing terms on what we witnessed under Harris? If so, you're deluding yourself because you were so opposed to Harris. The results are better, the spirit is better, the organisation is better, the football is still garbage.

You think the performances against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea were an improvement in footballing terms on what we witnessed under Harris? If so, you're deluding yourself because you were so opposed to Harris. The results are better, the spirit is better, the organisation is better, the football is still garbage.
    Cherry picking alert ! Totally forgetting the seven wins previously, which were miles better than anything before this season and especially the displays against Derby, Luton, Bristol City, Bournemouth and Preston in which we played some good stuff as well and scored goals.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Totally forgetting the seven wins previously, which were miles better than anything before this season and especially the displays against Derby, Luton, Bristol City, Bournemouth and Preston in which we played some good stuff as well and scored goals.
    I wasn't forgetting those games at all. I was simply referring to the standard of football we've witnessed in recent weeks during the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea, which in my opinion was truly abysmal (I didn't see anything other than very brief highlights of the Watford game, so can't really comment on that). Do you disagree that the football from City in the three games I've mentioned was terrible?

I'm glad you've dived in, though. After all, you were one of the biggest supporters Neil Harris had on this board and you regarded anyone who could see Harris's deficiencies and wanted him out as an idiot. So how are you feeling about the situation now? Do you still think you were right to berate all those who believed Harris should go in the way that you did? Do you still believe he was the right man for the job? Do you still reckon he deserved to keep his job and anyone who thought otherwise was a fool?

It's quite difficult to know what to make of his time here so far: he hasn't had a stand-out performance to hang his hat on and we're still waiting to see what his plans are for the summer, but he's done the basics well and brought the fans and players back together.

He's done a similar job to Warnock when coming in but has shown a greater interest, and trust, in the younger players and hasn't fallen out with anyone. I'm feeling more positive than negative but am curious to see what he does when Wilson, Ojo leave and Murphy and Flint enter last year of their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's quite difficult to know what to make of his time here so far: he hasn't had a stand-out performance to hang his hat on and we're still waiting to see what his plans are for the summer, but he's done the basics well and brought the fans and players back together.

He's done a similar job to Warnock when coming in but has shown a greater interest, and trust, in the younger players and hasn't fallen out with anyone. I'm feeling more positive than negative but am curious to see what he does when Wilson, Ojo leave and Murphy and Flint enter last year of their contracts.
    Not the greatest dilemma.

Wilson, for whatever reason, has not performed to his capabilities for Cardiff.

Ojo ... hit and miss

Murphy ... miss, miss & hit

When none of the above start, does it really have an effect?

The big bonus this season is seeing the U-23s playing so well and the youth being given its chance.

• Tom Sang
    • Ciaron Brown
    • Jeol Bagan
    • Ruben Colwill
    • Mark Harris

In addition:
    • Perry Ng
    • Max Watters

... with more to come from the academy and rising stars (from the likes of Crewe) the future is bright.

We don't need to worry about losing highly paid journeymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Ojo ... hit and miss

The big bonus this season is seeing the U-23s playing so well and the youth being given its chance.

• Tom Sang
    • Ciaron Brown
    • Jeol Bagan
    • Ruben Colwill
    • Mark Harris

In addition:
    • Perry Ng
    • Max Watters

... with more to come from the academy and rising stars (from the likes of Crewe) the future is bright.

Ojo ... hit and miss

• Tom Sang
    • Ciaron Brown
    • Jeol Bagan
    • Ruben Colwill
    • Mark Harris

In addition:
    • Perry Ng
    • Max Watters

Murphy is mid twenties, Wilson and Ojo early twenties - hardly journeymen are they, even if they are highly paid. You also appear to be totally disregarding Wilsons part in most of Moores goals and a number of others, plus the ones he has scored. Without him we would be lower mid table at best. The jury is also out at this stage as to whether players like Brown and Harris will make the grade, although Sang, Colwill and Bagan do look very promising.

Murphy is mid twenties, Wilson 24 tomorrow and Ojo 24 in June early twenties - hardly journeymen are they, even if they are highly paid. You also appear to be totally disregarding Wilsons part in most of Moores goals and a number of others, plus the ones he has scored. Without him we would be lower mid table at best. The jury is also out at this stage as to whether players like Brown and Harris will make the grade, although Sang, Colwill and Bagan do look very promising.

I wouldn't say that's early 20's

Murphy is mid twenties, Wilson and Ojo early twenties - hardly journeymen are they, even if they are highly paid. You also appear to be totally disregarding Wilsons part in most of Moores goals and a number of others, plus the ones he has scored. Without him we would be lower mid table at best. The jury is also out at this stage as to whether players like Brown and Harris will make the grade, although Sang, Colwill and Bagan do look very promising.
    Regarding Wilson & Ojo

"Journeymen" ... reference to being loaned out again and again ... not being able to establish themselves at their parent club.

Murphy's imminent future looks to be taking that pathway.

I doubt whether his contract will be extended. This would be a pity, because on his day he shows that he is the most talented player on Cardiff's books.

Regarding Wilson & Ojo

"Journeymen" ... reference to being loaned out again and again ... not being able to establish themselves at their parent club.

Murphy's imminent future looks to be taking that pathway.

I doubt whether his contract will be extended. This would be a pity, because on his day he shows that he is the most talented player on Cardiff's books.
    Since his career started at Norwich in 2013, Murphy has only been loaned out twice, whilst at Norwich, when he was 20 and 21 and one of those was only for 5 games. Wilson and Ojo have both been loaned out a number of times but that is from one of the best teams in Europe, where it is difficult to get a starting place at the best of times and they are both still only 23. Liverpool, up until now, have been reluctant to let them go permanently indicating that they have seen something in them both as well. I prefer to describe them all as promising young British talent and journeymen is a rather unfair label. Somebody like Glenn Murray or David Mcgoldrick would be players that the label would fit better in the more traditional sense i.e. players nearing the end of their careers who have had numerous clubs and looking for their last pay day.