+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Easy to say that after yesterdays result, but i was one of presumably many, who were totally underwhelmed when he got the job.
    i’d never really looked at him in depth, and just had the impression he was a dour faced, run of the mill, under achieving has been.
    Since he’s been here, i found out he once refused to shake hands with Margaret Thatcher, which instantly made me admire him as a person.
    Our run of form since he’s been here has been top notch, albeit not very pretty, but none the less, very effective.
    Before yesterdays game, the threat of the Jacks completing the first ever league double between the both of us, was very real, and i was dreading it.
    Not only did we avoid that, we beat them.
    Watching his after match interview, where he applauded the players effort, and said he was going to put a coat hanger upside down in his mouth to keep a smile, really made me laugh.
    He’s never gonna get us to dizzy heights, playing scintillating football, but i’ve found a new admiration for him, and whilst he’s here he’ll get my full support
    If it all goes pear shaped, i’ll not be in the number calling for his head.
    Yesterdays result, and all it meant, has im, given him cult status already.

Re: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

I think, it's the best football we have played for a good while..
    Tom Sang was Neil Harris leaving present to us along with Perry NG.

As the song goes, "The futures so bright I got to wear shades"

I've always liked Mick McCarthy as a person and I've never really understood his 'dour' reputation. He's always seemed to have a really good sense of humour to me. He's also always come across as a genuinely decent, down-to-earth guy and an honest man who doesn't talk bullshit. I really like all of those things about him and always have. I find McCarthy a distinct contrast to Neil Warnock, who's an interesting and amusing character for sure, but also dislikeable in many respects.

Big Mick has done a great job since he arrived here. Those who backed Neil Harris continuously must be feeling really foolish now, especially after last night's game. What a contrast to the meek surrender at the CCS in December, with Harris outcast Flint scoring the goal and Bacuna nowhere near the right-back berth.

The football itself is still dreadful, though. I've watched City three times in a little over a week and they've been abysmal. The notion of the side keeping to the basics and playing within its limitations has been stretched to the extremes in the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea. To say City rode their luck in those matches is an understatement and quality of football has been truly appalling.

It's difficult to judge McCarthy in terms of the football at present as he's only working with what he inherited and he's getting very decent results under the circumstances. But I really hope we'll see a genuine improvement in style next season, because this lot are painful to watch much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I think, it's the best football we have played for a good while.
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Seriously?
    I can't actually remember a time Cardiff were ever easy on the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    I can't remember ever seeing a City team that were less easy on the eye.

It's quite difficult to know what to make of his time here so far: he hasn't had a stand-out performance to hang his hat on and we're still waiting to see what his plans are for the summer, but he's done the basics well and brought the fans and players back together.

He's done a similar job to Warnock when coming in but has shown a greater interest, and trust, in the younger players and hasn't fallen out with anyone. I'm feeling more positive than negative but am curious to see what he does when Wilson, Ojo leave and Murphy and Flint enter last year of their contracts.

Sky TV interviewer to Mick - ‘at least now you have a well earned two week break to recharge the batteries Mick’. MM’s reply to TV interviewer - ‘YEH HAH’ - priceless

I don' t think I'm alone in thinking this is easier to watch than both Warnock and Harris' Cardiff.

Hes doing a great job

Hes Cardiff manager

The end

I've always liked Mick McCarthy as a person and I've never really understood his 'dour' reputation. He's always seemed to have a really good sense of humour to me. He's also always come across as a genuinely decent, down-to-earth guy and an honest man who doesn't talk bullshit. I really like all of those things about him and always have. I find McCarthy a distinct contrast to Neil Warnock, who's an interesting and amusing character for sure, but also dislikeable in many respects.

Big Mick has done a great job since he arrived here. Those who backed Neil Harris continuously must be feeling really foolish now, especially after last night's game. What a contrast to the meek surrender at the CCS in December, with Harris outcast Flint scoring the goal and Bacuna nowhere near the right-back berth.

The football itself is still dreadful, though. I've watched City three times in a little over a week and they've been abysmal. The notion of the side keeping to the basics and playing within its limitations has been stretched to the extremes in the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea. To say City rode their luck in those matches is an understatement and quality of football has been truly appalling.

It's difficult to judge McCarthy in terms of the football at present as he's only working with what he inherited and he's getting very decent results under the circumstances. But I really hope we'll see a genuine improvement in style next season, because this lot are painful to watch much of the time.
    McCarthy has always been known as one of the tiny number of managers who speaks the truth and is likeable as a result.

If you think the football is abysmal then you clearly didn’t watch Cardiff City under Harris at all, so you are in no position to comment. You have invalidated your whole post by making that remark.

Hes come here , we have vaulted up the league and just beaten a top 3 side in a local Derby

Am I losing my mind ?

Er, ANY game under Harris??!!!

I don' t think I'm alone in thinking this is easier to watch than both Warnock and Harris' Cardiff.
    Fair enough. I genuinely can't recall ever seeing anything as grim in football terms from City as the recent performances against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea, but each to their own.

I should point out that, unlike the Huddersfield and Stoke matches, I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game as a spectacle due to the circumstances and the bodies-on-the-line, last-ditch defending from City during the second half. A bet on Vaulks to get booked at some point also helped (good old Will), but the quality of City's football was utterly abysmal. Almost comical at times. Meanwhile, the Jacks were also pretty poor. It'll be a travesty in footballing terms if either of those sides somehow gets promoted to the Premier League, but I very much doubt that will happen.

It isn’t total football by any means but it is 100x better that the garbage played under Harris. There are similarities to some of the football played under Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If you think the football is abysmal then you clearly didn’t watch Cardiff City under Harris at all, so you are in no position to comment. You have invalidated your whole post by making that remark.
    You think the performances against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea were an improvement in footballing terms on what we witnessed under Harris? If so, you're deluding yourself because you were so opposed to Harris. The results are better, the spirit is better, the organisation is better, the football is still garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It isn’t total football by any means but it is 100x better that the garbage played under Harris.

Stop being so daft.

I think you are going a bit too far now. You would have seen sides with Andy Kerr , Kevin Lloyd etc. Sides hammered by Hereford , Merthyr. They couldnt do anything well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think you are going a bit too far now. You would have seen sides with Andy Kerr , Kevin Lloyd etc. Sides hammered by Hereford , Merthyr. They couldnt do anything well.
    Oh, of course, we've seen some terrible teams over the years. But they always tried to play a bit of football. The current lot are so difficult to watch because what they do works, so they very rarely attempt to deviate from it. It's effective, but it's really grim.

I agree, hardly 1970 Brazil, but better than the previous two managers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I agree, hardly 1970 Brazil, but better than the previous two managers.
    Is it better than Warnock at start of our promotion season?

Is it better than what Harris did on his run to the play-offs last season? Is it better than what Harris did when on his winning run this season?

It's more recent, but is it really better than anything served up by previous two?

I'll take you through a few of the managers who were less pleasing on the eye in your lifetime of supporting Cardiff City. DURBAN, HIBBERT/OSMAN/PHIL NEAL/RUSSELL SLADE/TROLLOPE/WARNOCK, and that's without sitting down for a cuppa and really thinking about it

Dave Jones side ?

Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.

Warming? Warmed!

P13 W8 D4 L1.

Got class, says the truth, got the players fighting for their places.