+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Re: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I can't remember ever seeing a City team that were less easy on the eye.
    The end of Harris' reign. I think its a little harsh to judge McCarthy's style at this point, he was clearly brought in and told to sort out the defence, back to basics, keep us up etc. If we're playing the same way at the start of next season then its more of a worry

If you average out 2 points a game, usually you'll either win the league or be a very close 2nd, Magic Mick has a better record than that from his 13 games in charge, without really recruiting his own players to add to the current squad.
    Whatever happens this season, he's been a success, all bodes well for next year

It's been a remarkable turnaround.

I think he's doing as well as anyone could with the playing squad he inherited.

Not only that, even the players whom we know can play better football, have been trained and groomed by successive managers to hoof the ball.

Changing that won't happen over night.

A 51% successful pass rate exposes a huge weakness in the team that everyone can see.. that MM will know that needs to be addressed on the training pitch and transfer window.

The exciting thing for me is that if that improves with new players and better coaching, we could be a real force in the coming seasons.

The committment and trust MM and TC have shown in our young players is something that I wasn't expecting and such a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.
    The start of the promotion season under Warnock was pretty good, we were ripping teams apart

Then we lost to Preston and he decided to shut up shop and grind out wins

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The start of the promotion season under Warnock was pretty good, we were ripping teams apart

Then we lost to Preston and he decided to shut up shop and grind out wins
    17/18 we were fantastic, it was fun. Away from home we were always horrible and ground stuff out, and then after the 4 defeats on the spin he just decided we'd grind it out at home. Unless when we played Leeds, we decided to batter them

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.
    Yeah I think that's probably the best football we played in decades.

I think it was more than injuries that let us down though... Too many dressing room splits and Jones was very divisive. Had favourites and would easily isolate players for the smallest of reasons while others got away with all kind of stuff.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's quite difficult to know what to make of his time here so far: he hasn't had a stand-out performance to hang his hat on and we're still waiting to see what his plans are for the summer, but he's done the basics well and brought the fans and players back together.

He's done a similar job to Warnock when coming in but has shown a greater interest, and trust, in the younger players and hasn't fallen out with anyone. I'm feeling more positive than negative but am curious to see what he does when Wilson, Ojo leave and Murphy and Flint enter last year of their contracts.
    Not the greatest dilemma.

Wilson, for whatever reason, has not performed to his capabilities for Cardiff.

Ojo ... hit and miss

Murphy ... miss, miss & hit

When none of the above start, does it really have an effect?

The big bonus this season is seeing the U-23s playing so well and the youth being given its chance.

• Tom Sang
    • Ciaron Brown
    • Jeol Bagan
    • Ruben Colwill
    • Mark Harris

In addition:
    • Perry Ng
    • Max Watters

... with more to come from the academy and rising stars (from the likes of Crewe) the future is bright.

We don't need to worry about losing highly paid journeymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Dave Jones side ?
    Jimmy Scoular and Jimmy Andrews also spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think its a little harsh to judge McCarthy's style at this point, he was clearly brought in and told to sort out the defence, back to basics, keep us up etc. If we're playing the same way at the start of next season then its more of a worry
    I agree completely. My observations are not meant as a criticism of McCarthy himself - he's working with what he's inherited and he's doing a fine job in my opinion. The difference in the attitude of the side compared to the one that were totally outplayed by the Jacks in December was clear for all to see. However, that doesn't mean the football itself was of any better quality.

As I've said, I enjoyed last night's game, mainly due to the history, what was at stake, etc. But let's be honest here - if that game had involved anyone bar City, most of us who enjoy decent football would have turned it off after twenty minutes maximum. Imagine if it had been Forest and Derby or Blackburn and Preston or Birmingham and Coventry serving up similar fare. This side can be effective, but they're not a good watch by any stretch of the imagination.

I've always liked MM and thought he was a great appointment on a 6 month contract until the end of the season. Some of the over reactions to his appointment were silly, mind you some blindly supported an awful Harris so who knows what runs through some people's minds.

The turn around from how poor we were under Harris this season to now has been unbelievable. He's also a great character, comes across well in interviews, very honest.

I think it would be unfair for people to say he didn't deserve a new contract, I think most managers who have done as well as MM in such a short space of time would get a new contract.

However having had the likes of Warnock, Harris, Slade, Milky etc I do feel we have potentially missed a chance to review the situation in the summer and look to go in a difference directions. I think keeping MM has been the easy decision, not nesesscerly the wrong one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Ojo ... hit and miss

The big bonus this season is seeing the U-23s playing so well and the youth being given its chance.

• Tom Sang
    • Ciaron Brown
    • Jeol Bagan
    • Ruben Colwill
    • Mark Harris

In addition:
    • Perry Ng
    • Max Watters

... with more to come from the academy and rising stars (from the likes of Crewe) the future is bright.

You think the performances against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea were an improvement in footballing terms on what we witnessed under Harris? If so, you're deluding yourself because you were so opposed to Harris. The results are better, the spirit is better, the organisation is better, the football is still garbage.
    Cherry picking alert ! Totally forgetting the seven wins previously, which were miles better than anything before this season and especially the displays against Derby, Luton, Bristol City, Bournemouth and Preston in which we played some good stuff as well and scored goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Dave Jones side ?
    Of course they were. Has anyone watched the recent reruns of the play off semi against Leicester?

Some people on here have very short memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'll take you through a few of the managers who were less pleasing on the eye in your lifetime of supporting Cardiff City. DURBAN, HIBBERT/OSMAN/PHIL NEAL/RUSSELL SLADE/TROLLOPE/WARNOCK, and that's without sitting down for a cuppa and really thinking about it
    Exactly.

His comment is beyond idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Ojo ... hit and miss

• Tom Sang
    • Ciaron Brown
    • Jeol Bagan
    • Ruben Colwill
    • Mark Harris

In addition:
    • Perry Ng
    • Max Watters

Murphy is mid twenties, Wilson and Ojo early twenties - hardly journeymen are they, even if they are highly paid. You also appear to be totally disregarding Wilsons part in most of Moores goals and a number of others, plus the ones he has scored. Without him we would be lower mid table at best. The jury is also out at this stage as to whether players like Brown and Harris will make the grade, although Sang, Colwill and Bagan do look very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I've always liked MM and thought he was a great appointment on a 6 month contract until the end of the season. Some of the over reactions to his appointment were silly, mind you some blindly supported an awful Harris so who knows what runs through some people's minds.

The turn around from how poor we were under Harris this season to now has been unbelievable. He's also a great character, comes across well in interviews, very honest.

I think it would be unfair for people to say he didn't deserve a new contract, I think most managers who have done as well as MM in such a short space of time would get a new contract.

However having had the likes of Warnock, Harris, Slade, Milky etc I do feel we have potentially missed a chance to review the situation in the summer and look to go in a difference directions. I think keeping MM has been the easy decision, not nesesscerly the wrong one though.

You are right, MM definitely deserved a new contract for what he's achieved in such a short time at the club.

Assuming we are still in this division next season the challenge for him and TC is how to make the team more dominant in games by keeping possession better and developing a more fluid passing style.

I hope for all our sakes that MM is not averse to a change of style while retaining the priceless ability of being difficult to beat.

For the remainder of this season's fixtures, don't expect anything different from what we've seen so far. Providing we don't hit the skids after the international break, MM will have the support of the fans, most of whom I suspect are not realistically expecting promotion this season.

If we are not playing well, and we are not a lot of the time, then getting results is important. I imagine how we'd all feel if we'd lost yesterday or were staring relegation the face. We'd still be critical and unhappy, but without the points. The better football will come in time with new signings and the development of youngsters.

Sang looks promising, as does Bagan, Ng etc. Brown looks like a capable deputy at centre back or left back. Colwill I've not seen enough of and Evans, Patten, and Ratcliffe have all made the bench. Mark Harris has played a part but it had been 4 years since his last appearance when he played earlier this season. He may be the one not to stay this summer, but I suppose he would a cheap option as a squad member? The future is brighter now than it has been in the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Totally forgetting the seven wins previously, which were miles better than anything before this season and especially the displays against Derby, Luton, Bristol City, Bournemouth and Preston in which we played some good stuff as well and scored goals.
    I wasn't forgetting those games at all. I was simply referring to the standard of football we've witnessed in recent weeks during the games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea, which in my opinion was truly abysmal (I didn't see anything other than very brief highlights of the Watford game, so can't really comment on that). Do you disagree that the football from City in the three games I've mentioned was terrible?

I'm glad you've dived in, though. After all, you were one of the biggest supporters Neil Harris had on this board and you regarded anyone who could see Harris's deficiencies and wanted him out as an idiot. So how are you feeling about the situation now? Do you still think you were right to berate all those who believed Harris should go in the way that you did? Do you still believe he was the right man for the job? Do you still reckon he deserved to keep his job and anyone who thought otherwise was a fool?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Exactly. His comment is beyond idiotic.
    What's idiotic is you championing the exact brand of football you were denigrating under Harris.

Murphy is mid twenties, Wilson 24 tomorrow and Ojo 24 in June early twenties - hardly journeymen are they, even if they are highly paid. You also appear to be totally disregarding Wilsons part in most of Moores goals and a number of others, plus the ones he has scored. Without him we would be lower mid table at best. The jury is also out at this stage as to whether players like Brown and Harris will make the grade, although Sang, Colwill and Bagan do look very promising.

I wouldn't say that's early 20's

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    I don' t think I'm alone in thinking this is easier to watch than both Warnock and Harris' Cardiff.
    Definitely, particularly when we had ng and Bennett as wing backs....MM seems a really funny decent bloke

I can't remember ever seeing a City team that were less easy on the eye.
    Dave Jones era maybe?
    We were good to watch under Warnock at the start of the 17/18 season but I agree, it’s been limited to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    If we are not playing well, and we are not a lot of the time, then getting results is important. I imagine how we'd all feel if we'd lost yesterday or were staring relegation the face. We'd still be critical and unhappy, but without the points. The better football will come in time with new signings and the development of youngsters.

Sang looks promising, as does Bagan, Ng etc. Brown looks like a capable deputy at centre back or left back. Colwill I've not seen enough of and Evans, Patten, and Ratcliffe have all made the bench. Mark Harris has played a part but it had been 4 years since his last appearance when he played earlier this season. He may be the one not to stay this summer, but I suppose he would a cheap option as a squad member? The future is brighter now than it has been in the last 2 years.
    And deciding which contracts to extend and which ones to let leave.

I don't think MM has used the bench particularly well and I think a number of youngsters could have had even more opportunity that they've been given so far - Harris did well in his cameo under MM but hasn't been seen since, Watters done well for the youth team but not given the chance and instead Moore has been left to run himself into the ground game after game - although MM has shown more interest in youth than most of his predecessors.

I guess it's about bringing youth in to give them the best chance of succeeding rather than all at once. Each one has parts of their game to work on (Bagan dealing with crosses, Brown playing ball out from the back, Harris controlling his energy and being in right place at the right time...) but I'd like to see them get the chance to develop in the playing side after international window.

I think McCarthy is misusing Moore by not taking him off when he is obviously knackered. He is often too tired to get to the ball and hold it up. We would be better off putting on someone like Harris and if we are going to lump the ball forward lump it into the channels for him to run on to. His pace and energy will cause more problems than an exhausted Moore. I know he thinks Moore helps out in defence form set pieces but we had four big lump centre halves on the pitch so we didn't really need another big bloke at the back.

Happy with McCarthy but I don't think he uses the bench well all the time he is a bit too cautious for me.

Murphy is mid twenties, Wilson and Ojo early twenties - hardly journeymen are they, even if they are highly paid. You also appear to be totally disregarding Wilsons part in most of Moores goals and a number of others, plus the ones he has scored. Without him we would be lower mid table at best. The jury is also out at this stage as to whether players like Brown and Harris will make the grade, although Sang, Colwill and Bagan do look very promising.
    Regarding Wilson & Ojo

"Journeymen" ... reference to being loaned out again and again ... not being able to establish themselves at their parent club.

Murphy's imminent future looks to be taking that pathway.

I doubt whether his contract will be extended. This would be a pity, because on his day he shows that he is the most talented player on Cardiff's books.