+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: “Going down the city”

“Going down the city”

I was listening to Nathan Blake’s podcast last week and they had a bit of chat about referring to the club as ‘city’ or ‘the city’ and ‘going down the city’.

Appreciating the Beeb and media outlets have to obviously use Cardiff to refer to the club, but personally I’ve always found it strangely jarring when I have to understandably refer to the club as just Cardiff when talking with non-Cardiff City fans.

Aside from clubs that refer to themselves as that to distinguish themselves from their city neighbours (Manchester, Bristol, etc), do any other sides with City as their suffix seem to use it to refer to their club as much as we tend to colloquially between supporters?

Our nearest and dearest don’t tend to use it much from my experience, preferring the swans or jacks instead. Couldn’t tell you about the Leicesters, Stokes, etc of this world.

Re: “Going down the city”

It’s always been “going down the city”

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    It’s always been “going down the city”
    It certainly was in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

No matter what direction you might have traveled from it was always “down the city”.

Except for a couple of guys who lived almost next door in which case it was “over the city” possibly because they used to climb over the wall at the back to avoid paying

Whenever I have been watching cardiff or in the days of exile living away , listening on a crackling radio Wales on 882 medium wave willing them on its been fecking hell , come on city ! , praying for a late winner against torquay

Yep, i concur ! My Dad started taking me “Down the City” in 1970.
    I still say “I am going down the City” or “Going to watch the City”......
    I can’t wait to be able to do and say that again !
    I miss going and want to finally get a chance to give my respects to Peter Whittingham who we sadly lost at the start of this epidemic and I still feel I haven’t been able to say goodbye to properly....

Always ‘The City’ never, ever ‘City’. Working up a scaffold in Taff’s Well first thing this morning the 80 odd year bloke across the road shouts over to me ‘Up The City’. Brilliant!!!!

I have always used "the City" in any conversations with friends and family despite having lived away for almost 40 years. Having worked in both Coventry and Leicester I found that their supporters always refer to them as "the City"

Never been anything else than “the City” or “going down the City” in my household and amongst my friends. Also, unrelated, it is “the City Hall” and not “ City Hall” as if it is some American building.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Always ‘The City’ never, ever ‘City’. Working up a scaffold in Taff’s Well first thing this morning the 80 odd year bloke across the road shouts over to me ‘Up The City’. Brilliant!!!!
    So it's not "down the City" its "up the city"....

All very confusing

Yet I know quite a few people, myself included, who describe going to the city centre as going to 'town'....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yet I know quite a few people, myself included, who describe going to the city centre as going to 'town'....
    Every single person I know from S Wales calls it 'town'

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Every single person I know from S Wales calls it 'town'
    Well if people said going to ‘the City’ it’d be too confusing, most would end up down the ground

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    No matter what direction you might have traveled from it was always “down the city”.

Except for a couple of guys who lived almost next door in which case it was “over the city” possibly because they used to climb over the wall at the back to avoid paying
    Confession time: A bunch of us kids did this for the Wales-England game, in 1970 I think it was. It was terrifying. I was expecting at any moment to get caught and tossed in the slammer. The wall at the back was topped with broken glass and green slime but we overcame it and lurked until the turnstiles opened. When the paying people started streaming in we made a dash for the front where I stayed the whole game watching the greats of the day close up. As I recall, we saved 2/6, which made for big feasting on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But do you really know yourself?