+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First derby double postponed yet again as defiant Cardiff grab a crucial win.

First derby double postponed yet again as defiant Cardiff grab a crucial win.

Flint's early goal the decider as City survive second half battering.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: First derby double postponed yet again as defiant Cardiff grab a crucial win.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

It certainly wasn't pretty but local derbies and the nature of the championship meant that a job needed to be done , we got that goal and held on .

You are not going to outplay Swansea or other teams with our squad but we got three points .

I don't care how we get them .

Re: First derby double postponed yet again as defiant Cardiff grab a crucial win.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It certainly wasn't pretty.....
    How do you know? Watching Sky again?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not at my house , round my mates , I refuse to pay for it

I messaged your missus the other day , anytime you want a chat to end this daft nonsense give me a call dave

Hope you are well mate 👍

I'm fairly confident we'll pick up at least a point against Swansea which could have made Reading an exciting game....if we had hung on.
    This was what I said after your Watford home result report so perhaps I was always looking for a performance rather than just a result.

I thought we did reasonably well in the first half with the goal (Ayew let Flint walk about in the box unchallenged), a half chance created for Bacuna and good pressing creating a chance for Moore. I can't remember them creating much at all so we'd probably be 1.5 goals up on that XG measure I don't fully understand. We did deserve to win the game yesterday based on this.

Second half was a different matter. Those wanting a result or to see the players care can look at Morrison's effort in the second half and come away happy - he was a deserved MotM - but those wanting a performance as well won't have been.

One Harry Wilson break aside, we played majority of second half with a back 7, which became a back 8 when Murphy came on; two sitting midfielders who could only lose the ball immediately or kick it as far as possible; a striker who ended up so tired he couldn't jump for balls (a manager refusing to bring him off - a stupid injury risk); and still holding on with some fantastic blocks* and Jacks running out of space behind us used to keep the clean sheet. We did not look like a premier league side in waiting.

*Wasn't it one of the Italian defending legends who said a defender having to make a tackle has already made a mistake? I assume having to make a last second block in your own box comes under same category.

I compared us yesterday to Atletico Madrid who sometimes also end up with a back 8 but they have the skills, and intelligence, to play football whereas the second half yesterday showed we've still got some growing to do. I also pointed out that the Jacks had played three away games on the bounce and two games before that went to the 96+ minute mark - they should have been the team looking tired instead of us.

We're 4 points off play-offs now but not going for more than a point against Stoke (a side in poor form, struggling to score goals and having to make an early and unplanned sub) still means we're outsiders. If the manager had used his bench better we could have picked up 3 points against Stoke and played the same way yesterday which would have taken some pressure off future Brentford game.

I said that the international window would be the first time to assess MM time here. Once the high of a win yesterday passes a little bit it would be interesting to hear thoughts about how well he's done and what he needs to do in the off-season to continue to develop us.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

*Wasn't it one of the Italian defending legends who said a defender having to make a tackle has already made a mistake?
    So what should a team do? Just let the opposition do what they want and hope they miss?

I think Mick has done very well. He was brought in to turn around a team that was drifting towards the relegation zone and had no chance of making the play offs. He’s put us into a position where we are only 4 points away.

Many felt the season was over and that his priority, once safe, was to avoid defeat in the derby. He won the derby.

The overall style hasn’t changed greatly but we seem to have more ability to adapt in certain games and use our players more effectively (Bournemouth away)

We’ve been crying out for several seasons to develop younger players in this club, and from the off he has included several, initially just from the bench but now with two starting in the first 11.

I don’t think we’ll quite make the play offs but Mick fully deserves everyone’s backing next season and after a summer transfer window and a full pre season I’m relatively optimistic that next season we’ll see improvement again on the league position and the style of play.

"..the fundamental passing weakness..."

At the beginning of the 2nd half when we started to drop back even further I thought I'd amuse myself by counting how many - if any= passing sequences the City made, a sequence of 3 being the minimum.

We made 3. All were directed backwards towards Phillips, so we didn't put together 3 passes in an attacking sense for the whole of the 2nd half. Maybe I missed them, but this is the worst City side in terms of passing I've ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

At the beginning of the 2nd half when we started to drop back even further I thought I'd amuse myself by counting how many - if any= passing sequences the City made, a sequence of 3 being the minimum.

We made 3. All were directed backwards towards Phillips, so we didn't put together 3 passes in an attacking sense for the whole of the 2nd half. Maybe I missed them, but this is the worst City side in terms of passing I've ever watched.
    Thats clearly rubbish

A side in the top ten of the championship is clearly not the worst side in terms of passing you have ever seen

Try division 4 , several times

I’m certainly not going to dispute your findings because they don’t surprise me in the slightest.

I hope my blog piece conveys the very mixed feelings I have this morning. On the one hand I was proud of our defending and spirit - Morrison, Flint and Brown were excellent, Sang was made Man of the Match by Wales Online (I can understand why as well) and Ralls, who I thought was going to be for a very uncomfortable evening, coped superbly - City are good at defending most of the time and have been for a few years at this level.

On the other hand though, I think we’re kidding ourselves if we can make a successful habit of playing like we did in the second half. I call the type of football we play underdog football because, despite having a squad which cost more than most teams we come up against, we seem to lack the belief as a club, management and players that we can go out and take teams on in a game of football on an equal footing with them - we play like a side playing a cup tie against a team in a league above us.

Nowhere is this more clear than when it comes to passing the ball. Yesterday represented a first for us though - I’ve seen non league sides booting the ball up the pitch to nobody to buy themselves a few seconds respite in the last twenty minutes of Cup games where they’re not being beaten by side from a few divisions above them, but I hadn’t seen it being done in a game in the Championship before.

I’ve seen criticism of Harry Wilson and Josh Murphy following the game, but how many “proper” passes did the pair of them receive between them? I’d be amazed if it was more than ten - indeed, Murphy was soon reduced to joining in with the booting up the pitch of the type you see in a rugby game.

We had four central midfielders in the starting line up yesterday plus Sang who is really one as well. Three of them cost us about £8 million, Ralls would fetch a few million as well and Sang has shown he can pass the ball well - they all can on an individual basis, but, collectively, our passing is very poor and it seems to be getting worse.

When you think about it, it’s an enormous credit to the team that they remain competitive towards the top of the division when they are so ordinary at one of fundamentals of the game - I keep on thinking we cannot go on like this, yet we’ve lost one in fourteen at a time when our passing has, if anything, got worse!

Difficult to argue with that, TOBW.

Not at my house , round my mates
    So, after all of your preaching on the subject, you were content to break the Covid-19 laws in order to watch a football game on a channel you reckon we should all boycott? Sums you up really.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Bob, i don't think that we were Battered, under pressure, most certainly, and a lot of that pressure dealt with quite comfortably. It was also self induced as unbelievable as that sounds. If we had been trying to get out and play further up the pitch without success, because of the way Swansea were playing, then i'd agree to it being a battering.

I think we have to take stock and look at the number of defenders out injured, Nelson,Bennett, Began, Ng and Osei-Tutu. So Sang playing wing back in his 4th appearance, Brown I think playing his second game at centre back and Ralls playing his first game at left back for about 8 years! So given that it was am excellent defensive effort. But agree disappointing al virtually all other aspects. Bacuna had not support when put through, Moore should have gone down when kicked by the 'keeper but being agoalscoer wanted to finish the job and score. And Wilson had the one superb run and shot, and one good tackle in the game.

We couldn't get the ball, but for all of Cooper's positivity about his team they weren't very good. They had the ball a lot, ambled about with it very slowly, and had no pace to hurt us. 23 shots?? Were they counting the goal kicks. They ballooned a few over the bar, and when they ran out of ideas just smashed th ball at our defenders because they didn't know what else to do.

They didn't even try and dive for a penalty in the last minute so we must have demoralised them!

And Ralls was OK, but caught tucking inside to often and leaving the wide man unmarked. But hard to criticise anyone really.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think we have to take stock and look at the number of defenders out injured, Nelson,Bennett, Began, Ng and Osei-Tutu. So Sang playing wing back in his 4th appearance, Brown I think playing his second game at centre back and Ralls playing his first game at left back for about 8 years! So given that it was am excellent defensive effort. But agree disappointing al virtually all other aspects. Bacuna had not support when put through, Moore should have gone down when kicked by the 'keeper but being agoalscoer wanted to finish the job and score. And Wilson had the one superb run and shot, and one good tackle in the game.

We couldn't get the ball, but for all of Cooper's positivity about his team they weren't very good. They had the ball a lot, ambled about with it very slowly, and had no pace to hurt us. 23 shots?? Were they counting the goal kicks. They ballooned a few over the bar, and when they ran out of ideas just smashed th ball at our defenders because they didn't know what else to do.

They didn't even try and dive for a penalty in the last minute so we must have demoralised them !

And Ralls was OK, but caught tucking inside to often and leaving the wide man unmarked. But hard to criticise anyone really.

I certain one of them went down screaming in the 91st minute, premier ref ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I certain one of them went down screaming in the 91st minute, premier ref ignored it.
    Yeah Ryan Bennett wasnt it deep into injury time. Made a right pr!ck of himself. Screaming like a tart even his own teammates ignored him. Cheating tw@t.

We need to get the full backs back and see how Sang does as a midfielder which he is supposed to be. I was baffled at how Warnock got us promoted automatically with a team that was so bad at passing the ball. This team is if anything even worse at it. Presumably Wison and Ojo with their Liverpool pedigree can pass the ball. Does joining Cardiff knock passing ability out of players?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yeah Ryan Bennett wasnt it deep into injury time. Made a right pr!ck of himself. Screaming like a tart even his own teammates ignored him. Cheating tw@t.

Just watched it on the "BOSS'S" highlights.

He frigging dives 2 feet into the air and screams in the last 10 seconds.

There were a few of us slightly concerned at the choice of referee before the game but it has to be said he didn't fall for any of their antics and on the whole he had a decent game.

It was as though word of their histrionics has filtered through to the people that matter, which is pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There were a few of us slightly concerned at the choice of referee before the game but it has to be said he didn't fall for any of their antics and on the whole he had a decent game.

It was as though word of their histrionics has filtered through to the people that matter, which is pleasing.
    Ayew has conned refs all his life,he goes down as if there is a sniper in the ground.

Thats clearly rubbish

A side in the top ten of the championship is clearly not the worst side in terms of passing you have ever seen

Try division 4 , several times
    Actually there's a fair bit of 'footage'of us in the 4th Division available on YouTube. Take a look. Two seasons ago we were in the PL. Today in a division lower we find it difficult to pass to another player in blue.

So, after all of your preaching on the subject, you were content to break the Covid-19 laws in order to watch a football game on a channel you reckon we should all boycott? Sums you up really.
    Hes in my bubble x

Actually there's a fair bit of 'footage'of us in the 4th Division available on YouTube. Take a look. Two seasons ago we were in the PL. Today in a division lower we find it difficult to pass to another player in blue.
    I don't need to take a look , I was watching it home and away

Its was on the whole terrible

I don't need to take a look , I was watching it home and away

Its was on the whole terrible
    As it is now . Worse than terrible .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    As it is now . Worse than terrible .
    Swansea great silky footballing team 0

Cardiff City Carthorses 0

Result , on record