we should embrace our right to protest, like the French do
    Thats always popular on here.

Re: Live Bristol riots

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Thats always popular on here.
    it works for them

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well thats a fair point and any protests at this time of lockdown are being questioned but I think the tories are just using this as an excuse to put the boot in
    I have mixed views about the new bill.

However this sort of protest will only help the Government in putting its proposals through. Any Tory MP's who are lukewearm towards the new proposals are likely to look on them more favourably if this sort of nonsense goes on.

The country is to a degree getting more polarised towards left or right, but the vast majority of the country are still more moderate I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Knob.
    Harry Paget's right

Interesting how the police are happy to release cctv for this, but that guy that died in custody in Cardiff they won't release the cctc as it "might prejudice enquiries"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Harry Paget's right
    No he's not. Every protest ends with scruffy rent a mob follow like sheep student types causing scenes..
    Nothing against protests but these just go for a day out follow the crowd lot don't actually help the cause.
    I have worked with some of students and have heard it from them that they care little of the protest and in their words its just something to do.

No he's not. Every protest ends with scruffy rent a mob follow like sheep student types causing scenes..
    So, just to be clear, you have an in depth knowledge of every protest, and the case isn't that you've seen this and maybe one or two others that you don't like the aims of (gonna take a wild punt at...ooooh...maybe Extinction Rebellion and BLM) and now you're making sweeping angry generalisations as is fairly common with men of a certain vintage

Anyone who supports the government removing our right to protest is an absolute mug.

When i see footage like that knob battering the police van windscreen, and the ones setting it on fire, i’d love to see the cops steam in and smash the ****ers.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Anyone who supports the government removing our right to protest is an absolute mug.
    But we are in the middle of a bloody pandemic man. People that protest have already been proven to be unable to social distance or wear masks and not to give a hoot about their own or other peoples safety. I would support the Government in locking people in their houses to stop them going out or prison if they gather unlawfully, if it meant getting rid of the virus and ending lockdown.

The right to peacefully protest, and the right to destroy public property and intentionally hospitalise police whilst protesting, are 2 different things.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The right to peacefully protest, and the right to destroy public property and intentionally hospitalise police whilst protesting, are 2 different things.
    Obviously, but the right to peacefully protest is being attacked.

Nothing against protests but these just go for a day out follow the crowd lot don't actually help the cause.
    I have worked with some of students and have heard it from them that they care little of the protest and in their words its just something to do.
    You have to have a pretty loose understanding of history to think like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Always the same. Scruffy, ignorant types that hate people protesting because they think its cool. Shame the police can't use rubber bullets on them and anyone caught get any benefits or pensions they claim stopped.
    Spot on.

This minority in Bristol acting like this will be used by the media to make the short sighted believe in the new bill.

It’s depressing how predictable the response on here is.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Interesting how the police are happy to release cctv for this, but that guy that died in custody in Cardiff they won't release the cctc as it "might prejudice enquiries"
    Very fair point

I note that several officers have been cautioned regarding that mans death . Over what I don't know .

Feedback

The wurzels have always been revolting

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Obviously, but the right to peacefully protest is being attacked.
    It’s being attacked, because of incidents like yesterday. These protests are the same as the football hooliganism. Probably 95% of participants in these protests, want to do it peacefully, whilst the other 5% want to cause chaos and anarchy.
    95% of City fans in the 70’s and 80’s just wanted to go to games to support the City, but the 5% that made up the soul crew, wanted the aggro.
    It’s the minorities, that always get their way, and the majorities get tarred with the same brush.

Imo, in a protest you'll always have those there because they want to be part of an event, those there because they're angry and want to physically express that regardless of their opinion on protest subject and those there who really believe in the cause and want to show that peacefully or otherwise.

I found in the reports this morning that Avon and Somerset Police Chief Constable was claiming there were 400-500 criminals in the protest, but does anyone buy that it was such a high number?

Two officers were injured and treated in hospital, with one suffering a punctured lung and broken ribs, and the other a fractured arm. Both have since been discharged. Twelve police vehicles were also damaged, with two set on fire. It is understood the police operation cost around £1m. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-56461796
    If there were 400-500 criminals wouldn't they do much more damage than that? Or our criminals some of the worst idlers in the world too.

Regarding the protest itself, I have sympathy with those protesting what appears to be part of creeping (mostly right wing) authoritarianism in the UK and the police who had to deal with the violent group. Not an either or situation.

Those scruffy suffragettes. Scum of the earth.

At least Farage had the decency to wear his Sunday best when patrolling Dover.

Just to recap where we are:

- 5 year fixed term parliament unless the governing party decides they want an election

- Police(/politicians) given the power to severely limit and even criminalise non-violent protest if they wish to

- No mechanism to hold politicians to account for blatant lies or failure to deliver on policy pledges.

If this sounds good to you then I would urge you to engage your brain and stop thinking about protests as 'something the other team does'.

Thankfully the press can still say whatever the handful of billionaires who own them want them to say.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Very fair point

I note that several officers have been cautioned regarding that mans death . Over what I don't know .
    Four police officers have been served misconduct notices, which does not necessarily mean that they have committed any wrongdoing. It is to notify them that their conduct is being investigated.

This sums it up for me. The bill hasn’t been thought through.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It’s being attacked, because of incidents like yesterday. These protests are the same as the football hooliganism. Probably 95% of participants in these protests, want to do it peacefully, whilst the other 5% want to cause chaos and anarchy.
    95% of City fans in the 70’s and 80’s just wanted to go to games to support the City, but the 5% that made up the soul crew, wanted the aggro.
    It’s the minorities, that always get their way, and the majorities get tarred with the same brush.
    5%....you clearly didn’t follow us away in the 80’s or 90’s. Possibly 10% normal fans and 90% nutters

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    5%....you clearly didn’t follow us away in the 80’s or 90’s. Possibly 10% normal fans and 90% nutters
    That's about right

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Harsh, maybe 30/70?