+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Having the stick/dap in school

Re: Having the stick/dap in school

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a haven of memories involves snow ball fights with you lot and the st illtyds green bottles !

rumney high we are here woah ..................
    We used to have fun with the St Iltyds bus and snow balls , as it decended the hill towards our lovely Llanrumney HS ,can see their faces now , they always looked smarter than us 😆

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bless our old school Llanrumney High, a haven of memories.
    I have such vivid memories of Llanrumney HS and my junior school Glan yr Afon but I can honestly say I didn't enjoy my schooldays much at all. I have far more of a thirst for knowledge now than I ever did in school.

we only had a 3 metre fence to separate us from the green bottles but with the llanrumney high lot we took far more encompassing approach . we had maccas on our side

anyone looks smarter than the green bottles even today -lol

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I have such vivid memories of Llanrumney HS and my junior school Glan yr Afon but I can honestly say I didn't enjoy my schooldays much at all. I have far more of a thirst for knowledge now than I ever did in school.
    My feelings exactly, in fact my abilities and progression greatly improved after leaving school.

I was a Pen Y Bryn junior.

My feelings exactly, in fact my abilities and progression greatly improved after leaving school.

I was a Pen Y Bryn junior.
    When I moved from Adamsdown to Llanrumney at the age of 7, I tried to get into Pen y bryn as it was nearer where I lived in Sedgemoor Road but at that time they were only accepting new pupils who lived in houses with odd numbers ! Strange but true.

We used to have fun with the St Iltyds bus and snow balls , as it decended the hill towards our lovely Llanrumney HS ,can see their faces now , they always looked smarter than us 😆
    What was the St. Illtyd's bus? I lived in Llanrumney, about halfway up the estate, and walked to St. Illtyd's up Mount Pleasant Avenue every day. Never heard of a bus.

Much earlier in this thread was the story of the girl who got all her male classmates caned for writing comments about a female teacher on the blackboard for which the boys got the blame.

What punishment did she receive when found out?

Great name for a punk band ( wanking over a nun )

When I moved from Adamsdown to Llanrumney at the age of 7, I tried to get into Pen y bryn as it was nearer where I lived in Sedgemoor Road but at that time they were only accepting new pupils who lived in houses with odd numbers ! Strange but true.
    My Brother went to Pen y bryn i went to bryn hafod.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    My Brother went to Pen y bryn i went to bryn hafod.
    I'm not sure how it is decided upon nowadays but school allocation seemed to be quite random in the 60's. For instance, I went to Glan yr Afon, the kids next door went to Penybryn and the kids on the other side of me went to Bryn Hafod.

I'm not sure how it is decided upon nowadays but school allocation seemed to be quite random in the 60's. For instance, I went to Glan yr Afon, the kids next door went to Penybryn and the kids on the other side of me went to Bryn Hafod.
    A few from Lady Mary went to Bryn-y-Don as well

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    What was the St. Illtyd's bus? I lived in Llanrumney, about halfway up the estate, and walked to St. Illtyd's up Mount Pleasant Avenue every day. Never heard of a bus.

There was no such thing as "School Busses", in my day (left St Illtyds in 1968)

When it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellons, the travelling pupils from Splott, Tremorfa, Roath and the such, were allocated bus passes.

The boys I used to travel with all had passes, as they were supposed to catch a bus to the Royal Infirmary, then a connecting bus to Llanrumney. Most of them didn't, they used to walk over Moorland Road bridge, meet me (I never had a pass), then catch the bus at the Royal Oak Pub (which I might add, is in ROATH)

Now here's the thing. We all used to try and catch the 44, which went straight along Newport Road and stopped outside the school gates.

Two other busses (can't remember the numbers), used to turn left onto Llanrumney Avenue, then one used to turn left again onto Ball Road. We would get off these busses at Countisbury shops and walk up Mount Pleasant Avenue.

Two other busses went through Rumney, into Trowbridge, but we tried to avoid these, as you had a gigantic hill to climb up, at the back of the school.

Boys I can remember on the busses are, Andrew North, John Houlston, Terrance O,Reagan, Peter Finn, The Nagle brothers, Ian Murphy, all these from Splott or Tremorfa

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    There was no such thing as "School Busses", in my day (left St Illtyds in 1968)

When it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellons, the travelling pupils from Splott, Tremorfa, Roath and the such, were allocated bus passes.

The boys I used to travel with all had passes, as they were supposed to catch a bus to the Royal Infirmary, then a connecting bus to Llanrumney. Most of them didn't, they used to walk over Moorland Road bridge, meet me (I never had a pass), then catch the bus at the Royal Oak Pub (which I might add, is in ROATH)

Now here's the thing. We all used to try and catch the 44, which went straight along Newport Road and stopped outside the school gates.

Two other busses (can't remember the numbers), used to turn left onto Llanrumney Avenue, then one used to turn left again onto Ball Road. We would get off these busses at Countisbury shops and walk up Mount Pleasant Avenue.

Two other busses went through Rumney, into Trowbridge, but we tried to avoid these, as you had a gigantic hill to climb up, at the back of the school.

Boys I can remember on the busses are, Andrew North, John Houlston, Terrance O,Reagan, Peter Finn, The Nagle brothers, Ian Murphy, all these from Splott or Tremorfa
    This was interesting to me. Thank you for it. I knew, of course, that some far-flung kids rode a public bus to school, but in my complacency I just thought — if I thought about it at all — that the bus picked them up at their front doors and dropped them off at the school gates. That was quite the journey you all took. For me it was just a 15-minute walk every morning, and a decent bit of exercise it was too.

You left St. Illtyd's the year I arrived, so I can't accuse you of being one of those nasty prefects who glared us newcomers down during school lunch and rapped our fingers if we reached for the salt in a way they considered unmannerly. I always swore that if I was ever designated a prefect I would be a nice guy, and I hope, when that day in fact came, that I proved true to my intention.

Llanrumney, as I recall, was at one time or another served by almost all the "40s." I remember the 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 and 49. Even the 50 would stop at the top of the estate on its way to St. Mellons. Which of those I caught was important, since some would take the long route around the estate via Ball Road, whereas others would stop right outside St. Cadoc's Catholic Church, which was ideal.

Now, of course, everyone drives. I wonder if the new St. Illtyd's has a massive car park, like American high schools.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    This was interesting to me. Thank you for it. I knew, of course, that some far-flung kids rode a public bus to school, but in my complacency I just thought — if I thought about it at all — that the bus picked them up at their front doors and dropped them off at the school gates. That was quite the journey you all took. For me it was just a 15-minute walk every morning, and a decent bit of exercise it was too.

You left St. Illtyd's the year I arrived, so I can't accuse you of being one of those nasty prefects who glared us newcomers down during school lunch and rapped our fingers if we reached for the salt in a way they considered unmannerly. I always swore that if I was ever designated a prefect I would be a nice guy, and I hope, when that day in fact came, that I proved true to my intention.

Llanrumney, as I recall, was at one time or another served by almost all the "40s." I remember the 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 and 49. Even the 50 would stop at the top of the estate on its way to St. Mellons. Which of those I caught was important, since some would take the long route around the estate via Ball Road, whereas others would stop right outside St. Cadoc's Catholic Church, which was ideal.

Now, of course, everyone drives. I wonder if the new St. Illtyd's has a massive car park, like American high schools.
    For memory, the bus numbers in the 60's were a 45 and 46 to Rumney/Trowbridge. Llanrumney was served by the 43 and 44 buses, which didn't go further into the estate than the Ball Road/Burnham Avenue junction near St Cadoc's school. The remainder of estate was covered by the 47 and 48 and later by a 49 and later still by a 19, which used to come from Ely. I think !

Yes, I forgot about the 19. That always seemed such an anomaly.

You have a good memory. I have long forgotten which buses went where.

For a while when I was in Lady Mary I lived on Trowbridge Estate, bus from Hendre Rd into town, then a bus from Dumfries Place to Cyncoed Rd, normal service buses with a bus pass. Could be an hour and half both ways on a bad traffic day.