+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Having the stick/dap in school

Re: Having the stick/dap in school

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I got , together with 4 others , the metre long wooden measuring stick , across the open hand for being the organisers of a scrap between two kids who hated each other .

We deserved punishment of course but that sort of thing could have broken fingers or knuckles. It was barbaric and only made me more of a git in school .

No deterrent whatsoever

I was back in trouble within a few weeks

Schools should have counsellors to educate youngsters as to the effects of their behaviour and hopefully that's the case now
    Child's play Sludge !!

One of our teachers made you turn over your hand and whack you on the knuckle area. I can tell you it really bloody hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Child's play Sludge !!

One of our teachers made you turn over your hand and whack you on the knuckle area. I can tell you it really bloody hurt.
    Not sure how old you are, but did you have a Mr Kavanagh in Llanrumney High?

Having my collection of Football Cards out during a lesson because the teacher hadn’t turned up, must have been around 1971

Our PE teacher always picked up boys by the short hair just in front of your ear, it doesn’t give you any option your have to move.

Was given the cane a couple of times in St Francis between 73 and 77 (aged 7 - 11). Right on the finger tips

I went to a couple of Catholic schools before I told my old dear it was all bullshit

She gave me a slapping

But nothing compared to what I got off the teachers in Catholic schools who were either sadistic or a danger to children

The nuns were just as bad

Shameful

Ban religious schools

never got caned or the dap, had a chalk board rubber hit me in the head, it wasnt even thrown at me, the Geography teacher was a crap throw

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    never got caned or the dap, had a chalk board rubber hit me in the head, it wasnt even thrown at me, the Geography teacher was a crap throw
    that happened quite often, our Geography teacher was also like a Jack forward, 20 shots, 1 on target

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In one word you've brought me out into a cold sweat. Cheers Tuerto !!

I absolutely detested the man, without doubt the worse teacher I ever had. Apologies if you're related to him lol.

He was my Maths teacher from 1965 - 1970. He used to say if you don't understand something just ask him. But if you did, he'd accuse you of not paying attention, call you names in front of your classmates and make you stand outside the classroom for 10 minutes. His favourite was to call anyone not good at maths Joe Soap.

As you can tell, I'm not bitter any more but I would swing for that tw*t even now. I need a lie down.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I went to a couple of Catholic schools before I told my old dear it was all bullshit

She gave me a slapping

But nothing compared to what I got off the teachers in Catholic schools who were either sadistic or a danger to children

The nuns were just as bad

Shameful

Ban religious schools
    We had plain clothes nuns towards the end of my time in Mostyn, but the ones before that, in their all black habits, were amongst the most violent people I've met. They'd come at you like a stealth bomber, wimple billowing in their rage, and whack you across the knuckles with the side of the ruler. Mr Rooney the woodwork teacher had a wooden bat labelled 'Central Heating' which he'd whack you across the arse with. I got sent to the headmaster about 30 minutes after my Mum had left; she'd been summoned to hear about my misbehaviour, boy did I get thrashed. It was bad, because kids from a nearby class were later asking me what I'd done to deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    that happened quite often, our Geography teacher was also like a Jack forward, 20 shots, 1 on target
    did he fall over in the classroom , pretending to be hurt ?

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    We had plain clothes nuns towards the end of my time in Mostyn, but the ones before that, in their all black habits, were amongst the most violent people I've met. They'd come at you like a stealth bomber, wimple billowing in their rage, and whack you across the knuckles with the side of the ruler. Mr Rooney the woodwork teacher had a wooden bat labelled 'Central Heating' which he'd whack you across the arse with. I got sent to the headmaster about 30 minutes after my Mum had left; she'd been summoned to hear about my misbehaviour, boy did I get thrashed. It was bad, because kids from a nearby class were later asking me what I'd done to deserve that.
    Teachers I remember from my brief spell inside Mostyn prison were Mrs Cook, science , she was hot , Mr pugh , Mr price woodwork , sister Catherine and sister Mary Micheal who told us masturbation was wrong ......we were 12 year old kids ff sake ......and a special needs teacher nicknamed Jo ninety who was a tough little git . The physics teacher was mad , the music teacher wore clogs and the sports teachers refused to take us for football so the maths teacher took us instead which was cool as I hated the games teachers . Oh and Mr Rooney, peg leg who was headmaster and Mr good geography who once got stuck in to a school fight between a few rockers and jam fans . He won.

I got the cane very regularly and it was always for shouting out wisecracks in class. However, it never changed my ways.

I think I got away with a fair bit in school because I was considered a “good boy” - I was far from the worst behaved, but definitely not among the best. The irony is that I was blameless when I was caned for the only time.

It was on the day England played Romania in the 1970 World Cup and a group of about six of us were having a kick about during the lunch break. We were using a full size plastic ball and one of my mates miskicked it on to the window of the headmaster’s room.

Cantonian’s headmaster was “Motho” Davies who had been there for years and had a fearsome reputation, so we feared the worst when he opened the window and told us to come to his room - it was a measure of how much he was feared that none of us thought to run away as soon as the ball hit the window or that we would take a “wrong turn” on the way to his office.

We were quaking in our boots while we waited outside his room, but when we called in, he surprised us by asking if we were going to watch the game later on and we proceeded to talk about football for a few minutes (that was a surprise as well because he was thought of very much as a rugby man). We thought we were going to get away with it, but then reached for his cane and asked us who had kicked the ball against the window, none of us answered and so he proceeded to whack all of us on the backside once.

It didn’t hurt anywhere as much as I expected it to and down the years, I wondered if Motho’s heart was in it - he retired a couple of years later and maybe he was tired of doling out the canings (he certainly had administered plenty of them down the years).

What was the most petty 'crime' you committed in school for which you received the stick/dap or the like ?

For me it was only getting 15 out of 20 questions right in an ad hoc geography test. The teacher told us anyone getting less than 17 would get the stick and he was true to his word.

Secondly, me and a schoolmate committed the heinous crime of running down a school corridor to get to the next lesson.

Life was brutal then !
    and a cricket bat in mostyn

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Mr Angle(real name!) my geometry teacher had a hell of a swing on him when he was giving out the dap. Had it a few times off him, probably for not listening. Bloody hurt.
    He took a run up from outside the classroom, in the corridor, and gave a hell of a whack. I was at Pontypridd Grammar too so remember him well. He was a nice bloke apart from the the blatant sadism. And as you you say a Geometry teacher too. A fair few of the teachers there knew how to punish kids. Canes across the back of the legs, back of the hands, palm of the hands and one guy across the face. And we had to avoid board dusters been launched at us.

First Team

A ruler across the knuckles for exploding a marble in a vice in the metalwork room.

Looking back a very stupid thing to do but back in those days health and safety was unheard of and I was very stupid.

One strike of the cane was pretty frequent for daring to bring in a tennis ball to kick about in the yard although a oval shaped ball was encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He took a run up from outside the classroom, in the corridor, and gave a hell of a whack. I was at Pontypridd Grammar too so remember him well. He was a nice bloke apart from the the blatant sadism. And as you you say a Geometry teacher too. A fair few of the teachers there knew how to punish kids. Canes across the back of the legs, back of the hands, palm of the hands and one guy across the face. And we had to avoid board dusters been launched at us.
    So my memory wasn't playing tricks!
    Headmaster, Nap, I think we used to called him caned be a couple of times but I cant really recall much else.
    My greatest pleasure was my last day at school, walking down the school steps smoking, with a teacher bellowing out of the window telling me to stop. I turned around and gave him the Vs.
    Not proud of myself, but I had started that school with high hopes but ended hating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Was given the cane a couple of times in St Francis between 73 and 77 (aged 7 - 11). Right on the finger tips
    My mother was caned in St Francis, the teacher had a big problem on his hands though as my mother had 10 brothers, she was the youngest and the only girl. Big mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think I got away with a fair bit in school because I was considered a “good boy” - I was far from the worst behaved, but definitely not among the best. The irony is that I was blameless when I was caned for the only time.

It was on the day England played Romania in the 1970 World Cup and a group of about six of us were having a kick about during the lunch break. We were using a full size plastic ball and one of my mates miskicked it on to the window of the headmaster’s room.

Cantonian’s headmaster was “Motho” Davies who had been there for years and had a fearsome reputation, so we feared the worst when he opened the window and told us to come to his room - it was a measure of how much he was feared that none of us thought to run away as soon as the ball hit the window or that we would take a “wrong turn” on the way to his office.

We were quaking in our boots while we waited outside his room, but when we called in, he surprised us by asking if we were going to watch the game later on and we proceeded to talk about football for a few minutes (that was a surprise as well because he was thought of very much as a rugby man). We thought we were going to get away with it, but then reached for his cane and asked us who had kicked the ball against the window, none of us answered and so he proceeded to whack all of us on the backside once.

It didn’t hurt anywhere as much as I expected it to and down the years, I wondered if Motho’s heart was in it - he retired a couple of years later and maybe he was tired of doling out the canings (he certainly had administered plenty of them down the years).
    TOBW, Never a Grass!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I remember Mr Kavanagh. He was the first to cane me in Llanrumey High or Ball Road as we called it. The twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    My brother taught there! The parents would ask him for tea after school. He loved it because he said he had a different type of ethnic food every evening. The head was a real character called Frank Sheskonas.
    As for caning, I was given the stick on he hand several times in in St German's Junior School. Hurt like hell.
    That Mr Sheskonas hung a lad outside by his jacket collar on the first floor. How the parents had respect for him i dont know.

What was the most petty 'crime' you committed in school for which you received the stick/dap or the like ?

For me it was only getting 15 out of 20 questions right in an ad hoc geography test. The teacher told us anyone getting less than 17 would get the stick and he was true to his word.

Secondly, me and a schoolmate committed the heinous crime of running down a school corridor to get to the next lesson.

Life was brutal then !
    Had the cane so many times ,we used to boast about which teacher had the hardest swipe , and then wear it as a badge of honour.

A few have mentioned the rap on the knuckles with a ruler. This was a trademark of, what seemed like at the time, an elderly woman teacher, Miss Williams, in St Alban’s juniors. Not the flat of the ruler, the edge, she’d tell you to put your hand flat on the desk and bring it down hard, leaving a line on your knuckles for the rest of the day. Unbelievable behaviour really for an aged spinster, dear God she had a temper.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I remember Mr Kavanagh. He was the first to cane me in Llanrumey High or Ball Road as we called it. The twat.
    As I said earlier I detested the man, even though I was never caned by him. He always smelled of a mixture of menthol sweets and cigarette smoke. But it was his horrible teaching methods that will stay with me forever.

I thought Mr Ford, Mr Edmunds, Rocco Richards, Mr Kelly and a few others were excellent teachers by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Howard Richards hit hard,and the mad Mr Franklyn was a twat.