+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Having the stick/dap in school

Re: Having the stick/dap in school

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A few have mentioned the rap on the knuckles with a ruler. This was a trademark of, what seemed like at the time, an elderly woman teacher, Miss Williams, in St Alban’s juniors. Not the flat of the ruler, the edge, she’d tell you to put your hand flat on the desk and bring it down hard, leaving a line on your knuckles for the rest of the day. Unbelievable behaviour really for an aged spinster, dear God she had a temper.

What about the Casey sisters, like the 3 witches in Hocus Pocus

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What about the Casey sisters, like the 3 witches in Hocus Pocus
    I was never in one of their classes but you’re right they were fearsome. I knew you’d remember Miss Williams, they were old weren’t they? Or did they just seem it to us? All spinsters as well, no man could have dealt with them I s’pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    As I said earlier I detested the man, even though I was never caned by him. He always smelled of a mixture of menthol sweets and cigarette smoke. But it was his horrible teaching methods that will stay with me forever.

I thought Mr Ford, Mr Edmunds, Rocco Richards, Mr Kelly and a few others were excellent teachers by comparison.
    Do you remember Tex the automechanic teacher walking around the play ground tapping a steel pipe , I liked Mr Webb PE Teacher and his murder ball moments .

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Howard Richards hit hard,and the mad Mr Franklyn was a twat.
    Oh yes Mr Franklyn,i had many encounters with him. You did not want the dap off him either.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I remember Mr Kavanagh. He was the first to cane me in Llanrumey High or Ball Road as we called it. The twat.
    I once saw Kavanagh egged on one of our last day of school riots

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do you remember Tex the automechanic teacher walking around the play ground tapping a steel pipe , I liked Mr Webb PE Teacher and his murder ball moments .
    `You boys,get the hell out of here' lol. Thats all you could here booming down the corridor from Tex.Can you remember Skinny Gwynnie?

Howard Richards hit hard,and the mad Mr Franklyn was a twat.
    Didn't Franklyn get beaten up by one of his pupils ?

`You boys,get the hell out of here' lol. Thats all you could here booming down the corridor from Tex.Can you remember Skinny Gwynnie?
    I was never taught by Tex but I remember one very hot day when one of the boys fried an egg on the bonnet of his car, a blue Rover I believe. I think he was from Omaha, Nebraska.

I do remember Gwynnie. In fact I was scrolling through a load of ancient school photos online and came upon one with all the Llanrumney H S teachers on. And yes he's on there.

As I said earlier I detested the man, even though I was never caned by him. He always smelled of a mixture of menthol sweets and cigarette smoke. But it was his horrible teaching methods that will stay with me forever.

I thought Mr Ford, Mr Edmunds, Rocco Richards, Mr Kelly and a few others were excellent teachers by comparison.
    Rocco was a top man,was Mr Kelly the maths teacher.

Rocco gave me shit because i chose to play for the school football team instead of the rugby.He made me do a couple of laps around the field and when i finished he made me do press ups in front of all the boys. Another swine you would not like the dap off.

History. My nemesis Kavanagh taught maths.

History. My nemesis Kavanagh taught maths.
    Was mrs Baird french there she used to wear very short skirts

Was mrs Baird french there she used to wear very short skirts
    Indeed she was and yes she did wear short skirts. Some of the lads used to drop pencils on the floor so they could have a good look up her skirt when they picked them up ! M
    Ma Jones was my French teacher.

Indeed she was and yes she did wear short skirts. Some of the lads used to drop pencils on the floor so they could have a good look up her skirt when they picked them up ! M
    Ma Jones was my French teacher.
    Thats true because i was one of them

Thats true because i was one of them
    Me too

I've never had a teacher that gave the dap that didn't give me the dap. Bunch of rugby ***** from Cyncoed. Racist, sexist bullies. It never bothered me at the time. But looking back, I find it quite shocking how unfit they were to be educators.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    We had plain clothes nuns towards the end of my time in Mostyn, but the ones before that, in their all black habits, were amongst the most violent people I've met. They'd come at you like a stealth bomber, wimple billowing in their rage, and whack you across the knuckles with the side of the ruler. Mr Rooney the woodwork teacher had a wooden bat labelled 'Central Heating' which he'd whack you across the arse with. I got sent to the headmaster about 30 minutes after my Mum had left; she'd been summoned to hear about my misbehaviour, boy did I get thrashed. It was bad, because kids from a nearby class were later asking me what I'd done to deserve that.
    sounds like you came across sister mary michael and her mate

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    that happened quite often, our Geography teacher was also like a Jack forward, 20 shots, 1 on target

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think I got away with a fair bit in school because I was considered a “good boy” - I was far from the worst behaved, but definitely not among the best. The irony is that I was blameless when I was caned for the only time.

It was on the day England played Romania in the 1970 World Cup and a group of about six of us were having a kick about during the lunch break. We were using a full size plastic ball and one of my mates miskicked it on to the window of the headmaster’s room.

Cantonian’s headmaster was “Motho” Davies who had been there for years and had a fearsome reputation, so we feared the worst when he opened the window and told us to come to his room - it was a measure of how much he was feared that none of us thought to run away as soon as the ball hit the window or that we would take a “wrong turn” on the way to his office.

We were quaking in our boots while we waited outside his room, but when we called in, he surprised us by asking if we were going to watch the game later on and we proceeded to talk about football for a few minutes (that was a surprise as well because he was thought of very much as a rugby man). We thought we were going to get away with it, but then reached for his cane and asked us who had kicked the ball against the window, none of us answered and so he proceeded to whack all of us on the backside once.

It didn’t hurt anywhere as much as I expected it to and down the years, I wondered if Motho’s heart was in it - he retired a couple of years later and maybe he was tired of doling out the canings (he certainly had administered plenty of them down the years).
    When he was younger Motho was a very enthusiastic thrasher. Hand or arse he didn’t care. He went for it like it was some form of gold medal attempt.
    Canton High School for Boys 1964-69. Semper sursum.

In 4th form in one term I was beaten by him on five separate occasions. He kept promising me that he would teach me something (aside from Poetry and Latin)

How to endure pain has been a very valuable life lesson that has stayed with me over the years

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    sounds like you came across sister mary michael and her mate
    That was one of the thugs; done by a nun eh?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That surely has to be Graham Webb? He used to be our PE teacher at Glantaf, before it changed to a Welsh school.
    He was a good 'un - still holds the Welsh triple jump record I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That surely has to be Graham Webb? He used to be our PE teacher at Glantaf, before it changed to a Welsh school.
    Spider was my favourite teacher at Llanrumney. I deliberately fouled him once whilst playing football. He waiting for me to get the ball again and whacked me in retaliation but did it with a smile on his face. I thought he was great and yes I think he was a triple jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Just found out a lot more about him. He's still on the Cardiff Athletics committee, has just successfully undergone a kidney transplant and been voted their Hero of the Month for Feb 2021. There's a pic of him too.

He represented Wales in the triple jump at the 1970 Commonwealth Games and was the Wales under-17 record holder for 26 years.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    That was one of the thugs; done by a nun eh?
    the pair were brutalthink it was an underlying sex fantasy though

Just found out a lot more about him. He's still on the Cardiff Athletics committee, has just successfully undergone a kidney transplant and been voted their Hero of the Month for Feb 2021. There's a pic of him too.

He represented Wales in the triple jump at the 1970 Commonwealth Games and was the Wales under-17 record holder for 26 years.
    He was at our school in the early/mid seventies, he used to wear his Wales representative tracksuit all the time while taking PE lessons.

As I said, he was a decent guy and good fun.