+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Having the stick/dap in school

Re: Having the stick/dap in school

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought he was just St Peter’s & Lady Mary.
    He was in Lliswerry I guess around 84/85

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Aw, that’s way after my time.

Amazing to think nowadays that we were caned in junior school aged 7-11. Caned on numerous occasions in senior school but the open handed slap on the arse by Frank Callus was, looking back, the most perverted punishment. Callus was a horror and bully of the highest order meting out his trademark punishment for things such as talking on the stairs or walking down on the right hand side instead of the left hand side!!!!
    Frank Callus is still alive i believe, according to my mother who is involved with the (catholic church) Remember Mr John? or Jogo as we called him, he was a bit of a twat.

That figures, i think that he retired from Lady Mary in eighty four, although i always thought that he completely retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That figures, i think that he retired from Lady Mary in eighty four, although i always thought that he completely retired.
    Might be a different Frank Callus.
    Just looked him up on LinkedIn and it shows his first teaching job was in Lliswerry from 79-85

Might be a different Frank Callus.
    Just looked him up on LinkedIn and it shows his first teaching job was in Lliswerry from 79-85
    Didn’t think it was our resident monster.

Frank Callus is still alive i believe, according to my mother who is involved with the (catholic church) Remember Mr John? or Jogo as we called him, he was a bit of a twat.

Joggo died fairly recently, was John Williams still there when you were there? Great teacher, drank in The Royal Oak, a musician in St Alban’s band, used to get us in The City with a group complimentary ticket in the late 60s, anyway, he passed away last week. Callus won’t die, looked like he reincarnated at Lliswerry School to continue his reign of terror

Didn’t think it was our resident monster.
    Probably his Son

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I remember all the boys in our class had the cane after our form teacher ran out of the class crying. Someone chalked on the blackboard `Miss Owen is a Lesbian' Turns out it was one of the girls.
    I went to Whitchurch Grammar where the cane was used very sparingly and you had to do something incredibly wrong to receive it.
    4 or 5 boys in my class - if we had had a mass beating- were effeminate, non sporting and so weak nobody ever bullied them. I don’t think these poor guys could have handled corporal punishment without lots of crying, begging to be let off, etc.

Out of interest, what was the errant girl’s punishment in the end? Also, how did her classmates treat her from then on? Was there some sort of revenge against her?

A mass incorrect caning in my school I think would have had repercussions against the school/teachers by parents even in the 1960s. Most pupils were there to learn and get into university; not to misbehave. You only had to see the other parents at parents’ meetings to understand what they were like. Their precious studious kids being caned would generally not have gone down well!

Joggo died fairly recently, was John Williams still there when you were there? Great teacher, drank in The Royal Oak, a musician in St Alban’s band, used to get us in The City with a group complimentary ticket in the late 60s, anyway, he passed away last week. Callus won’t die, looked like he reincarnated at Lliswerry School to continue his reign of terror
    No Mr williams. Mr James-Had an accident in his army years, taught Technical Drawing. Mr Wooding-Geography-Dr Shears-Biology-Mr Tudor-Chemistry-Les Gauntlett-PE Mike German-Music-Miss Shamah? Art or some other shit-Mr Mark(Harpo)

Probably his Son
    He had twin sons who’d be 66 now, I know that because they’d have been in my year had they gone to Lady Mary, of course he swung it for them to go elsewhere, no doubt for fear of indirect retribution being taken out on them on the ash or the yard.

No Mr williams. Mr James-Had an accident in his army years, taught Technical Drawing. Mr Wooding-Geography-Dr Shears-Biology-Mr Tudor-Chemistry-Les Gauntlett-PE Mike German-Music-Miss Shamah? Art or some other shit-Mr Mark(Harpo)
    Yes, Mr James was there in my time as was Les sssss Tudor, Mike German also. Brian Mark was head but was like the invisible man, hardly ever seen.

Dinner ladies were a bit nasty, so i'm with you on that one. Usually a pupils mum or Auntie, preferential treatment when the desert was dished out.
    They weren't particularly nasty but two of them in my school were nicknamed Bulldog and Rambo.

They looked like they came off the set of Prisoner Cell Block H.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That teacher would get 12 months behind bars at least in our current insane society
    Yes, the society which doesn't allow an adult to beat a kid with a stick for getting 75% on a geography test is the insane one.

I got , together with 4 others , the metre long wooden measuring stick , across the open hand for being the organisers of a scrap between two kids who hated each other .

We deserved punishment of course but that sort of thing could have broken fingers or knuckles. It was barbaric and only made me more of a git in school .

No deterrent whatsoever

I was back in trouble within a few weeks

Schools should have counsellors to educate youngsters as to the effects of their behaviour and hopefully that's the case now

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I got , together with 4 others , the metre long wooden measuring stick , across the open hand for being the organisers of a scrap between two kids who hated each other .

We deserved punishment of course but that sort of thing could have broken fingers or knuckles. It was barbaric and only made me more of a git in school .

No deterrent whatsoever

I was back in trouble within a few weeks

Schools should have counsellors to educate youngsters as to the effects of their behaviour and hopefully that's the case now
    Thankfully behavioural issues are now seen more in terms of educating those rather than just punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yes, the society which doesn't allow an adult to beat a kid with a stick for getting 75% on a geography test is the insane one.
    The kids who were trouble makers in school rather than my lot, who even though we got caned a fair bit were just occasionally naughty boys, no more, certainly didn’t change their ways. The beatings they had which were a bit more extreme than the stick or the dap, sometimes, didn’t make them see the light, in fact it most probably made them worse. Teachers flying off the handle didn’t help at all, sensible, considerate handling, which some teachers displayed gained them a lot more respect resulting in better pupil behaviour.

He had twin sons who’d be 66 now, I know that because they’d have been in my year had they gone to Lady Mary, of course he swung it for them to go elsewhere, no doubt for fear of indirect retribution being taken out on them on the ash or the yard.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/frank-callus-a201138

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We had a sadistic load of Brothers (failed priests), pretending to be teachers in St Illtyds.

One, Brother Luke, would walk up and down between the desks and if you were doing a sum wrong, would lash the back of your hand with a leather strap.
    Surely not the elderly Brother Luke of the late '60s and into the '70s. He was kind, gentle and meek to a fault, forever pottering around his greenhouse. Brother Alexander was the sadist. Very handy (and skilled) with the cane.

I attended St. Cadoc's primary school in the 1960s when the headmaster was Mr. Buckley. He had a reputation among us kids for wielding a bamboo cane with a rusty nail through the end, the better to draw blood. I was sent to his office for 'crossing the white line' in the playground once too often. I stood outside his office trembling for about 20 minutes, the mythical rusty nail growing larger and larger in my imagination. Finally, he showed up. 'Why are you here?' he asked. 'I stepped outside the white line,' I said.

Looks at me for an interminable five seconds.

'Get back to your classroom,' he said.

That is the definition of relief.

Middle of a boring English lit lesson, miles away, started doodling in chalk on my desk. Of course one of the words was f*ck.
    A figure loomed over me, it was the teacher, the deputy head. 'See me in my office at break time'.
    I thought I was going to get the hiding of my life, but no, just a telling off. I learned my lesson and never did that again.
    A post script. A number of years later I discovered that teacher was gay. I have wondered since if he'd had a soft spot for me, and that saved me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Surely not the elderly Brother Luke of the late '60s and into the '70s. He was kind, gentle and meek to a fault, forever pottering around his greenhouse. Brother Alexander was the sadist. Very handy (and skilled) with the cane.
    This was early 60’s when St Illtyds was down Splott.

The school drastically changed when it moved to Llanrumney/St Mellon’s

Brother Claude, the headmaster down Splott was a sadist

Sounds like the same Bro. Luke, given the time frame. Perhaps he mellowed with age. He was indeed a maths teacher, although I remember him being very patient with my lifelong innumeracy.

Dead spit of him, definitely a son of his.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    I can recall having the cane at 5 or 6 in the old South Church Street school down the docks
    My brother taught there! The parents would ask him for tea after school. He loved it because he said he had a different type of ethnic food every evening. The head was a real character called Frank Sheskonas.
    As for caning, I was given the stick on he hand several times in in St German's Junior School. Hurt like hell.