+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 'Line of Duty' attracts record 9.6m viewers

Re: 'Line of Duty' attracts record 9.6m viewers

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

I don't get why anyone would watch something that they dislike that much, seems madness to me.
    Quite agree. That's why I've stopped watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Quite agree. That's why I've stopped watching it.
    You and Monkfish only took 6 seasons to work it out too!

The enjoyable thing that keeps the viewer hooked is trying to work out what's going on.
    The script, dialogue and staged conversations are a bit much at times, but I do enjoy it.

24 Hours in Police Custody is on tonight for something more realistic.

OMG. Line of Duty is a paradise for acronym lovers. CHIS, AFO, ARV, ARU, MIT, TA, UCO to name but a few. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    OMG. Line of Duty is a paradise for acronym lovers. CHIS, AFO, ARV, ARU, MIT, TA, UCO to name but a few. WTF.
    Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

I think the acting in it is really good, the brummie guy who got locked up was excellent I thought.

I don't get why anyone would watch something that they dislike that much, seems madness to me.
    Figure it out - pretend you're a detective.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Figure it out - pretend you're a detective.
    I though the first two episodes were poor, last week's was much better and this week's even better again. Apart from the ridiculous ambush scene they seem to like! 'Mother of God'!!

you lot need to get back to your Z cars

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I prefer Vera. She solves all her cases in one nignt.
    Woman's intuition , and wearing of a good mac and hat makes the difference between the blurred lines and truth of policing

The queen's gambit was about as unrealistic as you can get but still good, you even held it up as evidence that line of duty wasn't good.
    Mate of mine said he enjoyed the film Ghost but it was it a bit far fetched

Sad to see that Sara Hughes the TV critic for the Guardian wrote her last review for Line of Duty on Saturday 3 April for episode 3 of series 6 (obviously TV critics see them in advance) from her hospital bed and then passed away on Monday.

The Guardian is not having a new reviewer for the rest of the series, but leaving it as an open thread for viewer comments

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Now you're talking but don't forget the best of all - Dixon of Dock Green.
    Evenin' all.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Softly Softly.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Softly Softly.
    Softly Softly Task Force

They could leave the end of every series hanging and the boys and girls from New Tricks could solve them in a few years time.

It's just so unreal. The whole dialogue is just a long cliche-ridden of quick fire repostes. Nobody speaks like that, unless it's a daytime USA crime drama, which this is trying to emulate. The plot is absurd as well, full of 'holes'. Let's be honest getting 4 blokes with no criminal records to stage an armed robbery in which someone is killed, just to delay getting to a stake-out is so ridiculous it's laughable.
    Sorry, but for me it's unrealistic dross..
    So I'm not the only one who found the armed robbery decoy scheme unbelievably far-fetched!

Now you're talking but don't forget the best of all - Dixon of Dock Green.
    Evenin' all.
    Should have called it Lazarus of Dock Green. George Dixon was shot and killed in The Blue Lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Should have called it Lazarus of Dock Green. George Dixon was shot and killed in The Blue Lamp.
    He died and rose again five years later 😳

I'm relieved to read that because I think it's dreadful. Wooden acting, Dunbar using phrases that an Irish farmhand might use (my wife is irish) and does anybody actually think the police use expressions like chis, rather than informant or one of the other every day expressions meaning the same thing!
    well ,yes actually.

There a document from Cambridgeshire constabulary freely available on the net which says as it's 1st paragraph

"We recognise that in policing, we tend to use many acronyms and other jargon terms. To make this easier for you to understand, we have made a jargon buster to help you identify some of our language."

There follows a long list in Alphabetical order of such jargon one of which is......

CHIS Covert Human Intelligence Source

And Dunbar said he uses' Mother of God' and others because his father used to use them. Other phrases are Belfast phrases that he knows and uses. Some are from Q and A sessions wth Belfast audiences. He is of course Irish himself ( from Enniskillen) so he should know!!!!!

I'm relieved to read that because I think it's dreadful. Wooden acting, Dunbar using phrases that an Irish farmhand might use (my wife is irish) and does anybody actually think the police use expressions like chis, rather than informant or one of the other every day expressions meaning the same thing!
    Well , in answer to your last point yes actually.

There a document from Cambridgeshire constabulary freely available on the net which says as its 1st paragraph

"We recognise that in policing, we tend to use many acronyms and other jargon terms. To make this easier for you to understand, we have made a jargon buster to help you identify some of our language."

There follows a long list in Alphabetical order of such jargon one of which is......

CHIS Covert Human Intelligence Source

And Dunbar said he uses' Mother of God' and others because his father used to use them. Other phrases are Belfast phrases that he knows and uses. Some are from Q and A sessions wth Belfast audiences. He is of course Irish himself ( from Enniskillen) so he should know!!!!!

It's just so unreal. The whole dialogue is just a long cliche-ridden of quick fire repostes. Nobody speaks like that, unless it's a daytime USA crime drama, which this is trying to emulate. The plot is absurd as well, full of 'holes'. Let's be honest getting 4 blokes with no criminal records to stage an armed robbery in which someone is killed, just to delay getting to a stake-out is so ridiculous it's laughable.
    Sorry, but for me it's unrealistic dross..
    Daytime soap is a well known phrase but I have never heard of a daytime crime drama. Any examples?

Most shows are full of holes. I watched Unforgotten and thoroughly enjoyed it but what I found a bit unbelievable was that they found witness who had clear recollections of events 30 years ago or shops or companies that had still got 30 year old receipts and were able to find them with no trouble at all!

But such devices are common in crime dramas.You often have to suspend belief otherwise you would never watch them!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Softly Softly.
    both were the most boring TV i can remember as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Daytime soap is a well known phrase but I have never heard of a daytime crime drama. Any examples?

Most shows are full of holes. I watched Unforgotten and thoroughly enjoyed it but what I found a bit unbelievable was that they found witness who had clear recollections of events 30 years ago or shops or companies that had still got 30 year old receipts and were able to find them with no trouble at all!

But such devices are common in crime dramas.You often have to suspend belief otherwise you would never watch them!
    Father Brown is a day time crime drama (it's shite)

I've heard various law enforcement people use terms like CHIS all the time.

Father Brown is a day time crime drama (it's shite)
    What I am saying is that there is not a genre of shows known as Daytime Crime.

Disagree about Father Brown.

It's no Morse or Frost but it's decent enough considering it is only 40 minutes. Although by no means the same sort oif show s Line of Duty.

No response to the post I actually made about your your points though?