+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Away , Always An Interesting Trip

Birmingham Away , Always An Interesting Trip

1984 bedlam all day

1995 Paul Millar Wondergoal , snuffed out by a late penalty from a blatant dive

Cue more bedlam and the traditional friendly gesture of the burning of the union jack

Wolves was always a good old fashioned family day out too

Re: Birmingham Away , Always An Interesting Trip

I was behind the goal, in the Brum end, with my elder brother (god rest his soul), when “Superkid” (Trevor Francis) scored.

My brother had to sit me back down, as I weren’t to pleased

Great memories

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I was behind the goal, in the Brum end, with my elder brother (god rest his soul), when “Superkid” (Trevor Francis) scored.

Great memories
    Was that the game we lost 2-0, and John Buchanan was hit by a bottle thrown from the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Was that the game we lost 2-0, and John Buchanan was hit by a bottle thrown from the crowd?

My memory tells me it was 2-0 and I think Francis scored very early in the game.

The whole stand we were in were chanting "Superkid, Superkid"

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    1984 bedlam all day

Cue more bedlam and the traditional friendly gesture of the burning of the union jack

I've only been to St. Andrews once. I was at Aston Uni and went in the away end with a Middlesbrough supporting mate. Probably around 1979. The whole experience was a bit scary. Football was generally like that back then.

Went to Villa Park and Hawthorns a few times too, but neither had the same feeling of menace as Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post

My memory tells me it was 2-0 and I think Francis scored very early in the game.

The whole stand we were in were chanting "Superkid, Superkid"

Just looked it up, nearly 50,000 in the ground and it was 2-0

1984 bedlam all day

1995 - was that the year that Barry Fry came running towards us only to be promptly chased back by a load of nutters who scaled the fence? Saw some disgusting scenes that day at New Street and on the way back.

Sure it was 85 sludge

Great memories
    I was there also. 49000 in the crowd. I was standing on the half way line with Birmingham supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I've only been to St. Andrews once. I was at Aston Uni and went in the away end with a Middlesbrough supporting mate. Probably around 1979. The whole experience was a bit scary. Football was generally like that back then.

Went to Villa Park and Hawthorns a few times too, but neither had the same feeling of menace as Birmingham.
    Birmingham , Wolves always trouble

West Brom a decent bunch generally

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    1995 - was that the year that Barry Fry came running towards us only to be promptly chased back by a load of nutters who scaled the fence? Saw some disgusting scenes that day at New Street and on the way back.
    that was it

Rough day

There was a seat throwing contest for half time entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Sure it was 85 sludge
    it was in 1985 around April / May time

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    it was in 1985 around April / May time
    we had to win our last two and hope others slipped up

Huge city following up at St Andrews that day

I was sitting on a wall outside the ground next to the lad that got a meat hook stuck in his neck at new street station

St John's Ambulance wanted him to go to hospital but he didn't seem that bothered 😕

sludge we've had this topic on here before . that city fan you mention was a poster on here up until a few years ago

i remember that day well got back from brum on the train went down to barry for a night out after

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    sludge we've had this topic on here before . that city fan you mention was a poster on here up until a few years ago

i remember that day well got back from brum on the train went down to barry for a night out after
    I went home to bed

I remember Kadg in the ground blood all over his Pringle dripping from his head.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Sure it was 85 sludge
    Yes, final game. Birmingham promoted, we were virtually relegated. Remember like it was yesterday. Stood near touchline towards one end. Loads of Brum kids right by us, running on to the pitch when the goals went in. Was on edge throughout the game ! Looked up and only 15,000 or so. The bad, bad days of crowd trouble and poor attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

Yep you had to be on yer toes In that City ,friendly bunch , and we were such angels..

that was it

Rough day

What happened to those halcyon days you can't chuck a sausage roll now without being band 😏

that was it

Rough day

I was near around 40 from the valleys i think Aberdare area. One poured lighter fluid over a union jack and set it alight.
    Another nutter amongst them picked up a seat that had been thrown down and returned it with accuracy hitting the fella who threw it flush in the chops.
    Mad walking back to the station

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What happened to those halcyon days you can't chuck a sausage roll now without being band ��
    I wonder if it's against the law to throw blue bog roll onto the pitch these days

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I wonder if it's against the law to throw blue bog roll onto the pitch these days
    I always found that the Izal greasy, school type toilet roll unravelled the best and travelled a lot further. Late 60s/early 70s you couldn’t have a tom tit in Lady Mary on a Friday afternoon, every toilet roll was bagged up ready for a Grangetown End launching on Saturday. Away games the football special would be stripped of the very same standard paper. The demise of toilet rolls decorating goalnets was a watershed moment in football, very, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I always found that the Izal greasy, school type toilet roll unravelled the best and travelled a lot further. Late 60s/early 70s you couldn’t have a tom tit in Lady Mary on a Friday afternoon, every toilet roll was bagged up ready for a Grangetown End launching on Saturday. Away games the football special would be stripped of the very same standard paper. The demise of toilet rolls decorating goalnets was a watershed moment in football, very, very sad.
    I have to disagree with you on the choice of Izal. It was similar to 'tracing paper' in appearance and didn't stand out as much once on the pitch or draped over the goal as your bog-standard (pun intended) white toilet paper.
    Also, those Izal toilet rolls were always too small they'd often fully unravel before clearing the terrace.

Anyway, back to their intended purpose - it failed miserably (although I conditioned myself never to have a 'number two' in school).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I have to disagree with you on the choice of Izal. It was similar to 'tracing paper' in appearance and didn't stand out as much once on the pitch or draped over the goal as your bog-standard (pun intended) white toilet paper.
    Also, those Izal toilet rolls were always too small they'd often fully unravel before clearing the terrace.

Anyway, back to their intended purpose - it failed miserably (although I conditioned myself never to have a 'number two' in school).
    I reckon Izal was designed a lot more for launching than wiping, rather than wiping clean it sort of moved the shite around your cheeks Like you I avoided having a turn out in school if possible, still try and avoid one away from home to this day, although going to football since 1961 my first (and still only) number two in a ground was at Derby County’s Pride Park after a particularly uncomfortable bus trip for a night game a few years ago. Reckon I need a medal as big as a dustbin lid for dropping my kecks in Derby given its Arctic climate What a conversation eh

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I reckon Izal was designed a lot more for launching than wiping, rather than wiping clean it sort of moved the shite around your cheeks Like you I avoided having a turn out in school if possible, still try and avoid one away from home to this day, although going to football since 1961 my first (and still only) number two in a ground was at Derby County’s Pride Park after a particularly uncomfortable bus trip for a night game a few years ago. Reckon I need a medal as big as a dustbin lid for dropping my kecks in Derby given its Arctic climate What a conversation eh
    Yeah, without wanting to go into too much detail - you're right about it just "moving the shite around your cheeks".
    The R&D department at Izal should take a long hard look at themselves!