+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilding the Team

Re: Rebuilding the Team

Theres no doubt we need to be better in possession of the ball.

However so much of 75 per cent in relation to Swansea was them slowly passing the ball between themselves and getting nowhere. Even in the last minute it was going sideways outside our box maybe about 15 passes for moves going nowhere. Probably the best chance of the 2nd half was ours with Wilson one end of the pitch to another and I think 3 passes in the move.

We should have had more composure to counter better. 2 genuine wing backs in Ng and Bennett/ Bagan would help.

Im sure even with the players we have now we should be far better with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I remember it well. I recall shouting something like "surely you're a better footballer than that" or obcenities to that effect at the TV when he did it.
    I also remember that well and shouting something very similar at the TV. Brown was under no particular pressure at the time either, I can only conclude it was an instruction to get rid.

Significantly the only time in the 2nd half we strung 3 passes together was the only time I noticed Harry Wilson was on the pitch and from the one decent pass to his feet he nearly scored.

I do not want the 3 centre backs passing the ball slowly amongst themselves before hurriedly clearing it away anyway and we’ve missed Bennett and No playing as wing backs in the last few games but we must be able to retain the ball a little better than in the last few games

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I also remember that well and shouting something very similar at the TV. Brown was under no particular pressure at the time either, I can only conclude it was an instruction to get rid.

Significantly the only time in the 2nd half we strung 3 passes together was the only time I noticed Harry Wilson was on the pitch and from the one decent pass to his feet he nearly scored.

I do not want the 3 centre backs passing the ball slowly amongst themselves before hurriedly clearing it away anyway and we’ve missed Bennett and No playing as wing backs in the last few games but we must be able to retain the ball a little better than in the last few games
    The CCTV commentary said Wilson was screaming for it when Brown lumped it.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I think the difference is going into the summer we have a few talented youngsters who will claim a start in the squad of 18
    Soon we could be watching Phillips, Ng Sang Bagan Brown Colwell, Harris all in the first team, and who knows what other promising youngsters are coming through.
    I wonder what Sang would look like playing in the middle of the park as he looks decent on the ball and composed, the loan players will I expect all go back to their parent clubs, I don't think we'd be in a position to buy any of them?
    Maybe sell Smithies and buy back Etheridge and the 2-3 million pounds difference goes straight into a war chest for Mick.
    One things for certain if there is any change in style it will certainly be an evolution rather than revolution under Mick.
    His current record demonstrates that he knows exactly what he is doing to give a team a fighting chance of the top 6 finish for next year
    Sorry, 2 - 3 million does not constitute a "War Chest", kitty at most.

I don't think it's a case of needing to transform the way we play. I think it's more a case of either recruiting players or coaching the current ones to just be braver on the ball. To play in triangles to get out of tight spaces and consolidate possession, rather than lumping it blindly down the line at the first hint of pressure. To play around the corner when they're getting the ball to feet. To actually come deep and want it in the first place.

You can still look to play over the top and find runners (Liverpool have, for all intents and purposes, done this for the last 5 years). You can still even play percentage balls with runners off of Moore. But when the space is closed off or your front 3 are tired/being lazy, you need to have a different way of managing games in your locker.

Ive said it on another thread - if we can sign a player who does what Pack does but quicker and more consistently, it would make such a difference to us.

I wrote going into a war chest, none of us know how much if anything he will have to play with