+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Allen v. Farrow

Allen v. Farrow

Not sure if anyone else is watching this.

Truly shocking.

Episode 2 looks into Woody Allens scripts, some of the draft notes on his scripts are really worrying. Almost all his films centre around relationships between middle aged/older guys and young girls (usually college age or even below).

Allen literally groomed audiences to normalise older men having relationships (in the sickest sense of the word) with underage girls.

Additionally, not only did he normalise it, he made out that the problem was very much with the girls. Often, he portrays the older men as 'reluctant' participants in these affairs who are victims of these young girls infatuation.

Be interested to see what others think.

Re: Allen v. Farrow

Really? I'm not sure about that not least as there is a raft of films written by Woody where he then played the lead male role opposite either Mia Farrow or Diane Keaton. While they are both 10 years younger than Woody they are by no means of "college age" in any of his movies as far as I can recall.
    What films are they referencing?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Really? I'm not sure about that not least as there is a raft of films written by Woody where he then played the lead male role opposite either Mia Farrow or Diane Keaton. While they are both 10 years younger than Woody they are by no means of "college age" in any of his movies as far as I can recall.
    What films are they referencing?
    Manhattan is the only one I can think of. And she dumps him in the end.

From what I've seen of this, it's a VERY one-sided programme. I stopped watching it after a while, because it was so obviously prejudiced.
    The fact that Allen has been investigated and cleared by separate official bodies, not once but twice, is hardly mentioned. They also don't mention the strange deaths of not one, not two, but three of Mia Farrow's children. Also, it's a bit rich for Farrow to criticise an older man for marrying a younger woman, when she did the exact same thing, when she married Andre Previn. Oh, and Allen is still with his 'young bride', after 31 years.
    The saying is 'if you throw enough mud, it tends to stick', and that's what's happened here. Sadly, it seems no-one wants to hear his side of the story, and everyone wants to listen to a clearly deranged woman.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    From what I've seen of this, it's a VERY one-sided programme. I stopped watching it after a while, because it was so obviously prejudiced.
    The fact that Allen has been investigated and cleared by separate official bodies, not once but twice, is hardly mentioned. They also don't mention the strange deaths of not one, not two, but three of Mia Farrow's children. Also, it's a bit rich for Farrow to criticise an older man for marrying a younger woman, when she did the exact same thing, when she married Andre Previn. Oh, and Allen is still with his 'young bride', after 31 years.
    The saying is 'if you throw enough mud, it tends to stick', and that's what's happened here. Sadly, it seems no-one wants to hear his side of the story, and everyone wants to listen to a clearly deranged woman.
    That explains it then, had me completely baffled so I checked a few things over at IMDb.

Movies written by Woody Allen - 57 (excluding shorts).
    Movies with a lead female actor below the age of 25 - 6.
    Of those 6 in 3 of them the lead male actor is 10+ years older.

Sounds like the documentary makers have done a great job of making something out of very little!

sleeper was hilarious

When she was 21 she married 51 year old Ol’ Blue Eyes, she had a thing for the older man it seems.

What I was referring to was his draft scripts, rather than some of the ones which made it to movies. There is a common thread in his scripts where the girls are very young.

He ran off with his girlfriends adoptive daughter Soon-Yi - an affair which seemed to have started when she was in high school.

Yes it is one sided - Allen and Soon-Yi refused to participate though.

I have my own issues with Mia Farrow - adopting all those kids and then outsourcing much of the care to nannies. It was like a bloody orphanage - and therefor those kids could not have had all their needs met. We also know that many of the children who were adopted around that period of time were ripped from their actual families and shoved into orphanages because inter-country adoption was (IS) such a lucrative business. She was even adopting kids while going through a traumatic experience with Allen. Certainly not in the best interest of the children.

However, going back to the allegations made by Mias daughter against Allen, they are 100% credible. And Allen, using his power, money and influence, undertook a major campaign against Farrow. As someone who deals with sexual abuse I saw no signs that she had been groomed to make it up, and neither did the experts.

More so than ever before, it seems we're a society that has to be on one side or another - boring and old fashioned as it may seem, isn't this one of those cases where there are faults on both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    More so than ever before, it seems we're a society that has to be on one side or another - boring and old fashioned as it may seem, isn't this one of those cases where there are faults on both sides?
    No. Mia is not accused of a abusing a child, Allen is.

Mia didn't initiate the documentary, the victim of Allen's abuse did, Dylan farrow.

Regardless of how Mia dealt with the situation in 1992 (she shockingly finished making a film with Allen in the middle of the situation!) the alleged sexual abuse by Allen on his 7 year old adoptive daughter Dylan (now an adult in her mid 30's) is very credible.

The social workers in new York confirmed that they believed the child. One was sacked by New York under pressure from the state .. Allen is very powerful and popular in new York. The social worker was reinstated and his report, available to the public, includes a thorough investigation and includes all the elements that you would expect in an investigation into child sex abuse.

That's just not true.

Allen paid for articles and ads and investigations to throw mud at Mia from 92 through to the 2000s.

It's only since the metoo movement that the balance seems to have shifted

He lost a custody battle in 93 and the courts were absolutely damning of him. So he used his power and money to launch an attack against Mia.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    No. Mia is not accused of a abusing a child, Allen is.

Mia didn't initiate the documentary, the victim of Allen's abuse did, Dylan farrow.

Regardless of how Mia dealt with the situation in 1992 (she shockingly finished making a film with Allen in the middle of the situation!) the alleged sexual abuse by Allen on his 7 year old adoptive daughter Dylan (now an adult in her mid 30's) is very credible.

The social workers in new York confirmed that they believed the child. One was sacked by New York under pressure from the state .. Allen is very powerful and popular in new York. The social worker was reinstated and his report, available to the public, includes a thorough investigation and includes all the elements that you would expect in an investigation into child sex abuse.
    For your first point - Mia has been accused of child abuse - by Moses Farrow, who claims that Mia was very manipulative and brainwashed the kids to get back at Woody Allen.
    Not the same kind of abuse, but still potentially very harmful.

I don't feel familiar enough with all the details to have an opinion on who is guilty though - I've read the odd article on either side and they usually seem fairly convincing. It does seem that more people are siding with Mia Farrow these days though.

Poor kids though to have grown up through all this.

No this is nonsense. He either did abuse Dylan when she was seven or he didn't there is no question of fault on both sides. Personally I found the testimony of Dylan entirely credible and she is saying the same things now she is in her twenties as she did when she was seven. She is also backed up by the nannies and If you believe them Woody is obviously lying. Think that if Woody was a Trump supporting republican he would be hung drawn and quartered by now but because he is New York liberal he was given the benifit of the doubt for too long. Even the Hollywood liberals are turning on him now as they are starting to realise backing a child abuser is not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    No this is nonsense. He either did abuse Dylan when she was seven or he didn't there is no question of fault on both sides. Personally I found the testimony of Dylan entirely credible and she is saying the same things now she is in her twenties as she did when she was seven. She is also backed up by the nannies and If you believe them Woody is obviously lying. Think that if Woody was a Trump supporting republican he would be hung drawn and quartered by now but because he is New York liberal he was given the benifit of the doubt for too long. Even the Hollywood liberals are turning on him now as they are starting to realise backing a child abuser is not a good look.
    if he did it then he's a monster.
    if Mia farrow brainwashed her kids go get back at him then she's a monster.

the water is so muddy now we will probably never know the truth for certain - perhaps that was woody Allen's way of escaping blame though.

So, if Woody Allen is guilty as you maintain he is, why does that absolve Mia Farrow of any possible blame? You’re just looking at things in purely black and white terms.

So, if Woody Allen is guilty as you maintain he is, why does that absolve Mia Farrow of any possible blame? You’re just looking at things in purely black and white terms.
    If we assume that Woody is guilty then what is Mia Farrow to blame for? Objecting to her child being sexually abused ? Trying to blame Woody when he was the perpetrator? It is a black and white situation trying to pretend otherwise is ridiculous.

If we assume that Woody is guilty then what is Mia Farrow to blame for? Objecting to her child being sexually abused ? Trying to blame Woody when he was the perpetrator? It is a black and white situation trying to pretend otherwise is ridiculous.
    Have a read of this thread. I’m sorry, I don’t believe one party is entirely guilty and the other entirely innocent in a case like this - that’s all I’m saying, I’m not defending Woody Allen as you seem to think I am.

I recently read Allen's book Apropos of Nothing. Very hard for any man to make a case for defending himself in the current climate, but he did it very well. The programme in question sounds like a hatchet job.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    When she was 21 she married 51 year old Ol’ Blue Eyes, she had a thing for the older man it seems.

Maybe it was a case of marrying him, or end up as the foundations of a new Highway

Has anyone else come forward to accuse him of child abuse? - No.
    Has any actress ever accused him of anything in appropriate? - No.
    Has anyone in the industry come forward with any other lurid claims? - No.
    So even in the present 'Me Too' climate, not a single person in a very notorious industry has a bad thing to say about him.
    Hatchet job doesn't even come close.

Has anyone else come forward to accuse him of child abuse? - No.
    Has any actress ever accused him of anything in appropriate? - No.
    Has anyone in the industry come forward with any other lurid claims? - No.
    So even in the present 'Me Too' climate, not a single person in a very notorious industry has a bad thing to say about him.
    Hatchet job doesn't even come close.
    All of that is true.

However, having worked in child protection and on some very serious cases of abuse, while it is very rare that a child abuser only abuses one child, it is not unheard of.

I too, as other posters, found Dylan's testimony credible and reliable, backed up by child psychologists and social workers.

Allen was obsessed with Dylan and his boundaries became incredibly skewered.

Let me be clear, I actually find Mia completely unhinged - I've mentioned this in the thread. I also think Allen is a genius.

But this is about Dylan - not Mia.