+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: More horses than tanks in the Army

More horses than tanks in the Army

Having considered the recent proposed reduction in Army manpower it intrigued me to learn that there are 485 horses in the British Army compared with 227 main line Challenger tanks. Presumably the horses are non operational but kept for ceremonial duties. The Army appears to be the main component of the All Forces Polo Association of which Prince Charles is patron. One wonders how many horses e.g. in the Household Cavalry also double as polo ponies because it appears that Chukhas for aspiring polo players can be subsidised by the Army. I wonder if the reduction in manpower of 10,000 will be commensurate with the number of horses retained. It would be interesting to find out the cost to the taxpayer of the Army’s antiquated and elitist retention of so many useless and redundant nags!!

Re: More horses than tanks in the Army

Finally somebody asked this question

Whilst I take your point, you can’t confuse a polo pony (sports car) with cavalry horse (HGV).

A bit of Googling shows that you can buy around 600 polo ponies for the price of 1 tank.

However 1 Tank has 1,500 horsepower .

Trooping the colour would be interesting if tanks replaced the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    However 1 Tank has 1,500 horsepower .
    A horse may be capable of producing 15 horse power for a short period of time. Similarly, and a man can produce more than 1 horse power.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Finally somebody asked this question
    I hope no-one took a fence.

International

An army having lots of horses, including the British army, is nothing new in the so called mechanical age. In WW2 the German and US Armies had thousands of horses, in fact it was only horse meat that kept a lot of German soldiers alive on the eastern front. The US also had thousands of mules. They were fed mainly on Alfalfa grass if Catch 22 is to be believed.

This is all horseshit

To me, this is perfectly believable. If the OP had said that the Army had more Ice cream vans than Tanks, then that would be a bit odd, although that may work as a strategy on the battlefield-serving Mr Whippy to ISIS, a cunning plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    To me, this is perfectly believable. If the OP had said that the Army had more Ice cream vans than Tanks, then that would be a bit odd, although that may work as a strategy on the battlefield-serving Mr Whippy to ISIS, a cunning plan.
    Bit falky that one , cornet cordon serving ISIS anything but a swift kicking

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bit falky that one , cornet cordon serving ISIS anything but a swift kicking
    Is this a Ted Rodgers, 321 Cryptic clues? If so, it's Definitely Dusty Bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A horse may be capable of producing 15 horse power for a short period of time. Similarly, and a man can produce more than 1 horse power.
    Sean Morrison is at least 1.5hp

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Is this a Ted Rodgers, 321 Cryptic clues? If so, it's Definitely Dusty Bin.
    Times cross word clue

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    An army having lots of horses, including the British army, is nothing new in the so called mechanical age. In WW2 the German and US Armies had thousands of horses, in fact it was only horse meat that kept a lot of German soldiers alive on the eastern front. The US also had thousands of mules. They were fed mainly on Alfalfa grass if Catch 22 is to be believed.
    I was reading a biography of Napoleon recently when the author began describing the thousands of horses that had to be transported on hundreds of ships to support his wars in Egypt and across Europe. And it wasn't just the horses. It was their hay and horseshoes and all that shovelling of horsepoopoo. It just seemed overwhelming, and I thought, why bother?

Just stay home and enjoy the wine, the cheese and the ladies.

Warfare is a strange thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I was reading a biography of Napoleon recently when the author began describing the thousands of horses that had to be transported on hundreds of ships to support his wars in Egypt and across Europe. And it wasn't just the horses. It was their hay and horseshoes and all that shovelling of horsepoopoo. It just seemed overwhelming, and I thought, why bother?

Wine fueled, French cheesy ladies now there a treat , guess building foreign empires was a bigger lady pull.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post

Noah's Ark must have stunk to high heaven and must have been saturated with urine.

Noah's Ark must have stunk to high heaven and must have been saturated with urine.
    Like an Amazon delivery van

The only animals that came off Noah’s Ark were fat lions.

Maybe that's how the a-piss-copalians started.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    The only animals that came off Noah’s Ark were fat lions.
    I know a few maggots who got off, not to mention leeches