+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hewlett Packard laptop help.

Hewlett Packard laptop help.

I was using my laptop this morning as normal and, for no reason I’m aware of, the orange light on the touchpad came on and the screen arrow disappeared leaving me with only partial control of the computer through using the tab key. I’ve discovered that the inbuilt “mouse” has been disabled and this can be put right by by quickly tapping on the on/off switch. However, hardly surprisingly, all that is doing is switching it off and when I switch on again the orange comes on as before. Any ideas what else I can try? It’s a reconditioned computer which I’ve had for a few years now, so maybe it’s just showing its age?

Re: Hewlett Packard laptop help.

It's a built-in feature to force you to buy a new one

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was using my laptop this morning as normal and, for no reason I’m aware of, the orange light on the touchpad came on and the screen arrow disappeared leaving me with only partial control of the computer through using the tab key. I’ve discovered that the inbuilt “mouse” has been disabled and this can be put right by by quickly tapping on the on/off switch. However, hardly surprisingly, all that is doing is switching it off and when I switch on again the orange comes on as before. Any ideas what else I can try? It’s a reconditioned computer which I’ve had for a few years now, so maybe it’s just showing its age?
    I thought when you double tap on the mouse in the I believe left hand bottom corner it just comes back on.

If its not the bottom left you just double touch on the orange light. I know its in one corner. Did it a few years ago didnt have a clue initially what id done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If its not the bottom left you just double touch on the orange light. I know its in one corner. Did it a few years ago didnt have a clue initially what id done.
    That’s happened on this computer a couple of times and I instinctively reached towards the light this morning to do what you talk about, but this time it stayed on and I’m left with very limited control of it through the tab key. Having done some more research, I’m thinking that bobh is right and I’m going to end up having to get a new one.

That’s happened on this computer a couple of times and I instinctively reached towards the light this morning to do what you talk about, but this time it stayed on and I’m left with very limited control of it through the tab key. Having done some more research, I’m thinking that bobh is right and I’m going to end up having to get a new one.
    im also with bobh on this one as my chromebook started doing strange things and then said it wont update automatic after sept 2021 because its got a life limit date

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It's a built-in feature to force you to buy a new one

Does an external mouse work Bob? If so, does it matter? I never use the touchpad on my HP, as I find a external mouse works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Does an external mouse work Bob? If so, does it matter? I never use the touchpad on my HP, as I find a external mouse works much better.
    I think that's the next thing I'll try Elwood. The better news is that, although I not quite sure how, it's working to a fashion now - the cursor has appeared, but it's jerky and I'm finding that keys which used to do one function now seem to be doing another!

double tap the top left corner of the touchpad and it should come back on

or you can go in the control panel and you should be able to activate/deactivate it in there and change some of the settings

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    or you can go in the control panel and you should be able to activate/deactivate it in there and change some of the settings
    I'd tried doing that with the touchpad a few times and nothing had been happening, but when I tried again a couple of hours later, the light went out and since then I've been able to use it, but, as I mentioned, some function keys are not doing what they used to. I've just gone into the control panel and it tells me the mouse is working properly and the driver is the most up to date one for this computer. I'll try Elwood's suggestion about using an actual mouse, but I'm beginning to get used of the new functions of some keys already although I do wonder how much longer the computer will last.