+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Belguim pen legal

Belguim pen legal

Did lakaku stop before kicking the ball causing Ward to dive before he touched the ball?

Under IFAB rule changes,*if*the*penalty*taker attempts to feint or*dummy*the opposing goalkeeper after completing the run-up to the ball, the taker will be punished with a yellow card, and will not be allowed to retake the kick.

Re: Belguim pen legal

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Did lakaku stop before kicking the ball causing Ward to dive before he touched the ball?

Under IFAB rule changes,*if*the*penalty*taker attempts to feint or*dummy*the opposing goalkeeper after completing the run-up to the ball, the taker will be punished with a yellow card, and will not be allowed to retake the kick.
    By the letter of the law I think he's ok.
    kind of stutters his run rather than feinting at the end of his run up.

Re: Belguim pen legal

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post

I think the key to this rule is 'after completing the run up'. That's why you see a few variations in the run up these days.
    My favourite is the player who is pretending to do up a boot lace next to the ball, then takes no run up. Could be wrong but I think Lee Trundle did it when playing for possibly Llanelli a few years back.