+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown over as far as travel in Wales is concerned

Lockdown over as far as travel in Wales is concerned

"Stay-local" rules will lift in Wales from Saturday and unrestricted travel within its borders will be allowed.

It means Wales will be the first UK nation to scrap travel restrictions within country boundaries since lockdowns were reimposed in the winter.

Self-contained tourist accommodation - including many hotels and cottages - will also be able to open on Saturday.

But non-essential travel to and from other UK nations will be banned for at least two weeks.

The move by the Welsh government will also see rules on the number of people who can meet outdoors - including in private gardens - eased.

Six people from two households will be able to meet up, an increase from the current four-person limit.

Organised outdoor activities and sports for under-18s can resume, and libraries and archives will be able to reopen their doors.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said the "public health position remains stable" and there is "headroom" to make changes.

"These further relaxations are part of our careful and phased approach to unlocking the restrictions and enabling people and businesses to resume their activities in the safest possible way," he said.

Rules will also allow a limited opening of outdoors areas of some historic places and gardens.

Stay local rules were in place for just two weeks.

They had replaced a stay-at-home order - in place since the start of the third national Welsh lockdown - which had required people to remain home except for essential purposes like work and exercise.

Lockdown was imposed in Wales at the end of December after a rise in cases increased pressure on the Welsh NHS.

It is the latest measure in the Welsh government's plans to ease restrictions - but many parts of the economy remain closed.

Retailers may be allowed to fully reopen, and teaching of pupils not yet back in school could restart from 12 April.

Primary schools and some secondary school children have already resumed classes.

A decision on whether to permit pubs, restaurants and cafes to reopen outdoors will not be taken until at least 22 April.

The UK government does not plan to ease stay at home restrictions in Wales until 29 March, but ministers will urge people to remain local as much as possible.

It plans to allow trips to self-catering accommodation from 12 April.

Under the Welsh proposals the interim all-Wales travel area - which will allow only essential travel in and out of Wales to other UK nations - is planned to be lifted on the same date.

People will need a "reasonable excuse", such as work, to travel out and in of the area.

The Welsh government said the level of restrictions was "starting" to move from alert level four to alert level three.

Re: Lockdown over as far as travel in Wales is concerned

Thanks Mike didn't spot this ,just wish a bit more hospitality was open to enjoy the greater freedom even on a restricted basis.

Hang on- there are in-country travel restrictions in England? I genuinely didn't know that. Not that I've likely breached it, I've not gone more than 5 miles from the house since before Christmas- but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Hang on- there are in-country travel restrictions in England? I genuinely didn't know that. Not that I've likely breached it, I've not gone more than 5 miles from the house since before Christmas- but still.
    News to me as well.

Good news people can book to go and stay somewhere but nothing open still when they get there.

Yes, we are instructed to stay 'local' but it isn't clearly defined (which doesn't concern me unduly as introducing regs that can cover a multitude of situations can be more trouble than it's worth).
    People are being fined for travelling for distances such as 15 miles from home but there is no defined distance limit, as it were.

Mail, Telegraph:

"Wales bans England tourists."

Welsh Twitter:

"Well actually rules in England ban tourists from entering Wales due to continuation of stay at home message there. Even from 29th of March their message is "people should continue to minimise travel wherever possible, and should not be staying away from home overnight at this stage," which lasts until at least the 12th of April when they're still told to minimise travel with next review not until at least 17th of May.

Oh and for now it's all tourists rather than anyone one specific country."

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yes, we are instructed to stay 'local' but it isn't clearly defined (which doesn't concern me unduly as introducing regs that can cover a multitude of situations can be more trouble than it's worth).
    People are being fined for travelling for distances such as 15 miles from home but there is no defined distance limit, as it were.
    You're still under "stay at home" until the 29th of March.

We are still under stay at home here really and aren’t supposed to leave our local areas while exercising etc

Must be an election coming !

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Mail, Telegraph:

"Wales bans England tourists."

Welsh Twitter:

"Well actually rules in England ban tourists from entering Wales due to continuation of stay at home message there. Even from 29th of March their message is "people should continue to minimise travel wherever possible, and should not be staying away from home overnight at this stage," which lasts until at least the 12th of April when they're still told to minimise travel with next review not until at least 17th of May.

Oh and for now it's all tourists rather than anyone one specific country."
    On a personal note, a few months ago I saw a camper van for sale on line from the same dealer I got my current one from. They are based near Exeter. I had a good look at the van via video and agreed a part exchange price. I paid £1K deposit and we worked on an exchange date.

Lockdowns meant we had to delay the deal and we finally agreed 29 March knowing that English travel restrictions would be eased on that date and there was a promise that Wales would cancel travel restrictions on 27th March. The dealer whilst closed until 12 April can open for 'click and collect' purchases.

The curved ball from Drakeford is that whilst I can travel anywhere in Wales, I can't cross into England for without a reasonable excuse.
    If I don't do the deal on 29th the dealer has other customers that want the camper van and I'll lose my £1k deposit.

I'm left with no choice other than try to get to Exeter next week. I think this is classed as work as it's a business transaction. Any views appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    On a personal note, a few months ago I saw a camper van for sale on line from the same dealer I got my current one from. They are based near Exeter. I had a good look at the van via video and agreed a part exchange price. I paid £1K deposit and we worked on an exchange date.

Lockdowns meant we had to delay the deal and we finally agreed 29 March knowing that English travel restrictions would be eased on that date and there was a promise that Wales would cancel travel restrictions on 27th March. The dealer whilst closed until 12 April can open for 'click and collect' purchases.

The curved ball from Drakeford is that whilst I can travel anywhere in Wales, I can't cross into England for without a reasonable excuse.
    If I don't do the deal on 29th the dealer has other customers that want the camper van and I'll lose my £1k deposit.

I'm left with no choice other than try to get to Exeter next week. I think this is classed as work as it's a business transaction. Any views appreciated.
    What's your number plate, model and colour of car, and what time are you heading off, route would be handy as well. Cheers.....

Your interpretation of this as work is pretty liberal and likely to fall foul of the English rules until 12th April.

Cars can be sold via click and collect in England and Wales

The government has permitted dealerships to operate a “click and collect” service, meaning that you can place your order online and collect the car from a local dealership (leaving your village, town or city area without a “reasonable excuse” is illegal under lockdown), or have them deliver it to you, in a contact-free manner.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...irus-lockdown/

if it's to do with business you will be ok

as for myself been travelling in and out of England for 12 months every week and yet not been stopped at any point even for checks for work purposes . that is either coming down the M50 route or over the seven bridge

I have got a letter from employer just in case but thought I would have at least been stopped and checked at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What's your number plate, model and colour of car, and what time are you heading off, route would be handy as well. Cheers.....
    Good point. I'll have all the paperwork with me including current vehicle V5

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Your interpretation of this as work is pretty liberal and likely to fall foul of the English rules until 12th April.

Cars can be sold via click and collect in England and Wales

The government has permitted dealerships to operate a “click and collect” service, meaning that you can place your order online and collect the car from a local dealership (leaving your village, town or city area without a “reasonable excuse” is illegal under lockdown), or have them deliver it to you, in a contact-free manner.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...irus-lockdown/

The dealer says this is a click and collect transaction. It's the most local dealer for the make of this vehicle to my home in Cardiff.

Ive taken the broad definition of 'work' as opposed to what most people think of as 'employment'

Not knowing your circumstances lisvane but if you operate as a sole trader or LTD company you won't have a problem . But your definition coming across as for work or a business transaction is a little hazy

The dealer says this is a click and collect transaction. It's the most local dealer for the make of this vehicle to my home in Cardiff.

Ive taken the broad definition of 'work' as opposed to what most people think of as 'employment'
    Here is the UK government's definition of work.

Work
    You can only leave home for work purposes where it is unreasonable for you to do your job from home. This includes, but is not limited to, people who work within critical national infrastructure, construction or manufacturing that require in-person attendance.

In my opinion you are very unlikely to get a fixed price notice of £200 (assuming it's your first offence) but that's because you are unlikely to get caught not because what you are describing fits with either the lockdown rules of Wales and England in force at the time of your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Not knowing your circumstances lisvane but if you operate as a sole trader or LTD company you won't have a problem . But your definition coming across as for work or a business transaction is a little hazy
    A use the word a 'business' transaction as a commercial transaction. ie Ive no relationship with the dealer, I take the vehicle he takes the money.

As far as 'work' is concerned the dictionary definition is broad but I realise it's a matter of interpretation.

Funny you mention sole trader, as currently I'm not, but there is a big demand for rental camper vans and I might well rent the vehicle out.

thats put a different slant on it

think you will fall under the April the 12'th date . you could argue the case if you get stopped i suppose !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    thats put a different slant on it

think you will fall under the April the 12'th date . you could argue the case if you get stopped i suppose !
    I'd love to hear that argument.

Officer I'm here in Norwich on essential work. I have pre-ordered a copy of the the Norwich Evening news from my local dealer. Never met him before, purely commercial transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I'd love to hear that argument.

Officer I'm here in Norwich on essential work. I have pre-ordered a copy of the the Norwich Evening news from my local dealer. Never met him before, purely commercial transaction.
    It's Exeter but I get your point. looking at the England rules from 29 March I'm sure I'll be OK once in England as their guidelines are so vague...ie try to stay local, no overnight stays unless it's in your second home

Travel from Cardiff to Chepstow, where my son and family live, is OK too.

Just crossing the bridge is the issue

Whatever the rules/law I also think it's unlikely that you get caught, but you and person you're meeting should be mindful of how the virus spreads and the safety measures to reduce risk of that happening: avoid indoor/crowded spaces (if necessary ensure good ventilation), minimise contact numbers and contact duration outside your bubble, wear a mask, don't shout.

Whatever the rules/law I also think it's unlikely that you get caught, but you and person you're meeting should be mindful of how the virus spreads and the safety measures to reduce risk of that happening: avoid indoor/crowded spaces (if necessary ensure good ventilation), minimise contact numbers and contact duration outside your bubble, wear a mask, don't shout.
    Thanks Surge

Seems sensible, I don’t think there’s an issue driving to pick a car up really.