+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockdown over as far as travel in Wales is concerned

Re: Lockdown over as far as travel in Wales is concerned

Worst case scenario looks like a £200 fine to not lose £1,000 and the van. I assume the van is the most thing to you so that might influence your thinking. If the dealer has other buyers, why wouldn’t he refund you ... that doesn’t sound like they’re very reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    It's Exeter but I get your point. looking at the England rules from 29 March I'm sure I'll be OK once in England as their guidelines are so vague...ie try to stay local, no overnight stays unless it's in your second home

Travel from Cardiff to Chepstow, where my son and family live, is OK too.

Just crossing the bridge is the issue
    You'll be fine, I drove to Carlisle and back this week, didn't see anyone stopped either way.
    It's not as though the police are going to stop people on the hard shoulder to ask where they are going, that seems more dangerous than just doing the trip.

I'm sure you know this also, just you are currently obsessed with blaming everything on Mark Drakeford, so you're making out that this is a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You'll be fine, I drove to Carlisle and back this week, didn't see anyone stopped either way.
    It's not as though the police are going to stop people on the hard shoulder to ask where they are going, that seems more dangerous than just doing the trip.

I'm sure you know this also, just you are currently obsessed with blaming everything on Mark Drakeford, so you're making out that this is a big deal
    It's just that I'll be driving a camper van not a car, so a bit more conspicuous and of course linked to holiday travel

On a personal note, a few months ago I saw a camper van for sale on line from the same dealer I got my current one from. They are based near Exeter. I had a good look at the van via video and agreed a part exchange price. I paid £1K deposit and we worked on an exchange date.

Lockdowns meant we had to delay the deal and we finally agreed 29 March knowing that English travel restrictions would be eased on that date and there was a promise that Wales would cancel travel restrictions on 27th March. The dealer whilst closed until 12 April can open for 'click and collect' purchases.

The curved ball from Drakeford is that whilst I can travel anywhere in Wales, I can't cross into England for without a reasonable excuse.
    If I don't do the deal on 29th the dealer has other customers that want the camper van and I'll lose my £1k deposit.

I'm left with no choice other than try to get to Exeter next week. I think this is classed as work as it's a business transaction. Any views appreciated.
    What type of campervan are you buying LB? Only asking as they are going for a fortune at the moment, people asking silly prices because they know everyone is desperate to escape. I was looking to replace mine but I’m going to hang on a while until the market settles down. I got almost £23k for my T5 and it was 12 years old. It did have low miles and a very top end conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I’ve been back and fore to Pembrokeshire every week for the last month and barely seen a copper en route

On a personal note, a few months ago I saw a camper van for sale on line from the same dealer I got my current one from. They are based near Exeter. I had a good look at the van via video and agreed a part exchange price. I paid £1K deposit and we worked on an exchange date.

Lockdowns meant we had to delay the deal and we finally agreed 29 March knowing that English travel restrictions would be eased on that date and there was a promise that Wales would cancel travel restrictions on 27th March. The dealer whilst closed until 12 April can open for 'click and collect' purchases.

The curved ball from Drakeford is that whilst I can travel anywhere in Wales, I can't cross into England for without a reasonable excuse.
    If I don't do the deal on 29th the dealer has other customers that want the camper van and I'll lose my £1k deposit.

I'm left with no choice other than try to get to Exeter next week. I think this is classed as work as it's a business transaction. Any views appreciated.
    Ive driven from my house ( near Bath ) To Swindon and Oxford ( for work, so weekly ) Ive been to pick something from Taunton, never seen anyone getting stopped this side of the bridge

Think they’ve put snipers on the border for anyone driving recreational vehicles so be careful

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    You're still under "stay at home" until the 29th of March.
    The regs state (and remember that my reply was regarding England) that we are "allowed to leave home for recreation and exercise outdoors with their household or support bubble".

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    What type of campervan are you buying LB? Only asking as they are going for a fortune at the moment, people asking silly prices because they know everyone is desperate to escape. I was looking to replace mine but I’m going to hang on a while until the market settles down. I got almost £23k for my T5 and it was 12 years old. It did have low miles and a very top end conversion.
    Hymer Exsis T 588. Looks as if it's got all we need on board, so looking forward to it

It's just that I'll be driving a camper van not a car, so a bit more conspicuous and of course linked to holiday travel
    Will you be buying any meat while you’re there? They’re bound to have some decent butchers in Exeter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Will you be buying any meat while you’re there? They’re bound to have some decent butchers in Exeter.
    That made me laugh. The New Zealand lamb is pretty good apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I knew someone would raise that. But the more astute will remember that I buy Welsh meat, usually from Brecon