+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scottish Independence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Scottish Independence

I think the SNP over estimate thier appeal , they get plenty of votes in normal elections as for that vote representing independence is another matter .

Yes I believe everyone should vote, as currently we've all part of a collective union.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think the SNP over estimate thier appeal , they get plenty of votes in normal elections as for that vote representing independence is another matter .

Yes I believe everyone should vote, as currently we've all part of a collective union.
    If it was the norm for everyone in a country to vote for one state's independence then surely hardly any independent votes would go through.

Do you think the whole EU should have voted in the brexit referendum? I'm sure you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If it was the norm for everyone in a country to vote for one state's independence then surely hardly any independent votes would go through.

Do you think the whole EU should have voted in the brexit referendum? I'm sure you don't.
    Zap!

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Zap!
    WWhy the zap. He's not catching me out is he? I already said I don't know the answers, I'm just trying to see what other peoples opinions are on the whole question.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    WWhy the zap. He's not catching me out is he? I already said I don't know the answers, I'm just trying to see what other peoples opinions are on the whole question.
    The zap was for my reply to lifeonmars, not you. Don't be sensitive!

Lardy was replying to LOM not you. LOM thinks everyone in the UK should have a right to vote on Scottish independence. Because everyone in the UK is part of the current union and will be affected by the outcome. As Lardy points out using that argument or logic every citizen of the EU should have had a vote on Brexit. Not something LOM would support. Nor me.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I believe it is a matter for the people of Scotland.

We were a part of a collective union in Europe but only we decided whether or not to stay in it or not.

I always find it difficult to comprehend those who make political arguments for independence such as SNP and Plaid, but hate Brexit, while I do understand the notion that they may dislike Westminster but not Brussels. The arguments about why self governance is good for their nation but Brexit is bad the for the UK often completely contradict each over.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I always find it difficult to comprehend those who make political arguments for independence such as SNP and Plaid, but hate Brexit, while I do understand the notion that they may dislike Westminster but not Brussels. The arguments about why self governance is good for their nation but Brexit is bad the for the UK often completely contradict each over.
    Scottish/Welsh independence and Brexit are different things but how would you say self governance and Brexit completely contradict each other?

You could equally suggest that it's daft to support leaving one union while being entirely behind another one.

From my perspective, the more power that Westminster has to rule over Wales can only be a bad thing. We gave Westminster more power by leaving the EU. The next step is to remove devolved governments and have Westminster rule the entire UK. I fundamentally disagree with that.

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix. In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts...-uk-influence/
    Probably no such thing as self government but the interests of the EU and UK aligned 95% of the time and opposed only 2% of the time. Do you think the percentages would be the same for Scotland and the UK?

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Probably no such thing as self government but the interests of the EU and UK aligned 95% of the time and opposed only 2% of the time. Do you think the percentages would be the same for Scotland and the UK?
    The figures do not necessarily show that. There may have been occasions where the UK voted 'yes' and were on the losing side and other occasions where they voted 'no' and were on the winning side. Taken bare of any further information the numbers are pointless.

I wouldn't like to see Scotland leave the union but I wouldn't stand in their way either, if that is what the majority of Scots want. I would strongly suggest though that the bar be set at a minimum 66% majority otherwise they will have a BREXIT type situation where the country is split down the middle and the bitterness and recriminations will go on and on...

Whenever I hear Sturgeon and Blackford whinging about independence and how dare the wicked Westminster government try to usurp the will of the Scottish people, I must admit I feel like saying ok get on with it, good luck and goodbye!

The figures do not necessarily show that. There may have been occasions where the UK voted 'yes' and were on the losing side and other occasions where they voted 'no' and were on the winning side. Taken bare of any further information the numbers are pointless.
    The figures do show that. That's what "winning side" means.