MY CITY MY SHIRT

Re: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Brilliant, great to see.

Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Hope thats on walls in Bristol and Swansea??

Fantastic to see.

Loved the comment that it’s a BobBanksy.

Fantastic.

Poor response from the club though - https://bricksmagazine.co.uk/2020/11...m-in-football/

"Unfortunately, this celebration of the city’s diversity and beauty was not well-received by all. According to Ismail, they were refused the official support of Cardiff City, who told me that they dismissed their project as encouraging ‘reverse racism’ – a damning representation of the normalisation of racism within football, and within the wider society.

Incredibly inspired by this campaign, I spoke further with Yusuf Ismail regarding his inspiration behind this project and their experience with the Cardiff City Football Club.

Prishita: Why was it important for you to have the involvement of the Cardiff City club? Could you tell me more about your experience with them?

Yusuf: I thought it important to involve the Cardiff City Football Club because I felt they could use their platform to reach out to People of Colour in Cardiff. The relationship between the Cardiff BIPoC communities and Cardiff City is non-existent; our hope was to use this project as a real turning point in community relations.

Early on in the project, we were invited by the club for a meeting to discuss our project with their Community Engagement Manager. We showed her some portraits, some campaign imagery and some short films that we had created for the project. Even though she said she loved the work, she seemed confused about the intent behind our project and was worried that if the club was seen to support such a project, it could run the risk of alienating their existing fan base. She stated that it could even be perceived as “reverse racism” if preferential treatment was shown to BIPoC communities – a statement that left us extremely confused and upset that someone would hold such views. It’s attitudes like these that highlight the importance of our work. If anyone feels that making a space more inclusive is a problem, then it’s clear that they are the problem!"

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Fantastic.

Poor response from the club though - https://bricksmagazine.co.uk/2020/11...m-in-football/

"Unfortunately, this celebration of the city’s diversity and beauty was not well-received by all. According to Ismail, they were refused the official support of Cardiff City, who told me that they dismissed their project as encouraging ‘reverse racism’ – a damning representation of the normalisation of racism within football, and within the wider society.

Incredibly inspired by this campaign, I spoke further with Yusuf Ismail regarding his inspiration behind this project and their experience with the Cardiff City Football Club.

Prishita: Why was it important for you to have the involvement of the Cardiff City club? Could you tell me more about your experience with them?

Yusuf: I thought it important to involve the Cardiff City Football Club because I felt they could use their platform to reach out to People of Colour in Cardiff. The relationship between the Cardiff BIPoC communities and Cardiff City is non-existent; our hope was to use this project as a real turning point in community relations.

Early on in the project, we were invited by the club for a meeting to discuss our project with their Community Engagement Manager. We showed her some portraits, some campaign imagery and some short films that we had created for the project. Even though she said she loved the work, she seemed confused about the intent behind our project and was worried that if the club was seen to support such a project, it could run the risk of alienating their existing fan base. She stated that it could even be perceived as “reverse racism” if preferential treatment was shown to BIPoC communities – a statement that left us extremely confused and upset that someone would hold such views. It’s attitudes like these that highlight the importance of our work. If anyone feels that making a space more inclusive is a problem, then it’s clear that they are the problem!"
    Anyone feeling "alienated" by that portrait shouldn't be welcome at the club - on the face of it. this seems like a total misjudgement by City.

Total gobbledegook from the club in that reply.

Someone else is doing the work that the club should've been doing years ago, all they have to do is throw their weight behind it, yet the club is worried that it might offend little old 'White Bloke', Me! Absolutely incredible. Disgrace, and a lack of understanding, and a huge opportunity missed. Email the club and complain if you disagree with them, the more people that do it, the better. This is where fans and the trust should put pressure on. Shame them.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Total gobbledegook from the club in that reply.
    Reverse Racism! Have the club looked at the demographic of our support?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Anyone feeling "alienated" by that portrait shouldn't be welcome at the club - on the face of it. this seems like a total misjudgement by City.
    As you're almost certainly already aware Paul, my partner did a lot of work with representatives of various minority groups from the local community during her time as the Trust's community officer, as did other members of the Trust board. City gave her a few free tickets to distribute to them, but that was about it. The club's staff and officials weren't ever interested in actually doing anything constructive themselves. That was back in 2011, so it looks like very little has changed during the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There's a bit of a political edge to it, There's going to be, that's why racism exists. As usual, 'football' shits out because they don't want to upset things. Wear a T-shirt, rainbow laces etc, that's fine. Get fans involved, the community, speak to the people in directly effects, not some suit or someone on the pay roll and the club bottles it. Shithouses.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    As you're almost certainly already aware Paul, my partner did a lot of work with representatives of various minority groups from the local community during her time as the Trust's community officer, as did other members of the Trust board. City gave her a few free tickets to distribute to them, but that was about it. The club's staff and officials weren't ever interested in actually doing anything constructive themselves. That was back in 2011, so it looks like very little has changed during the last decade.
    No money in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No money in it.

Didn't they send the painter back to Malaysia ? (chief scout or something, wasn't he )

Fantastic.

While I'm glad it's been fan lead, it's rubbish that the club can't see the worth in doing it. A marketing team would surely be interested in why such a diverse City has not successfully attracted fans from all sections of our community and want to rectify that.

Choosing not to boldly oppose racism is a political message in itself. I wonder if that's what the club wanted to go for?

As has been indicated by TLG the trust did loads of work to try and encourage the club to engage with the local community in the areas of Grangetown, Butetown and Riverside

The trust held an evening at the stadium which was hijacked by the club and instead of asking fans from the citys ethnic minorities present about involvement we were given a slide show on how great cardiff city were at engaging with the community

It was cobblers

At one point a fan from the docks of west Indian origin asked the club about real jobs for the local community at Cardiff City .......he , like most of those assembled meant office jobs , PR , administration , advertising, back room staff etc

The groundsman interrupted with the suggestion that there were lots of casual jobs in catering ......in other words , serving burgers

It was unbelievable , I spoke to the guy who raised the question after the presentation and I said I am sorry I don't know what to say 😐

After the event , which was very David Brent I spoke to a group of somali lads and they said all their mates love football but don't feel welcome at Cardiff City

And when you see and witness the backward ignorant attitude of the club towards inclusion you can see why

Cardiff City has on its doorstep a large black and Asian community . Unless things have changed the club is still ignoring them .

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    While I'm glad it's been fan lead, it's rubbish that the club can't see the worth in doing it. A marketing team would surely be interested in why such a diverse City has not successfully attracted fans from all sections of our community and want to rectify that.

Choosing not to boldly oppose racism is a political message in itself. I wonder if that's what the club wanted to go for?
    Cardiff City continuing their commitment to being utterly shit at any kind of marketing/fan engagement. It didn't surprise me that the club didn't get behind it, though the language did surprise me

The marketing at the club has been really shoddy for ages, its a big city with a large potential fanbase but they just don't seem interested in tapping into it. Bizarre.

Reverse Racism! Have the club looked at the demographic of our support?
    I am afraid that the trust got loads of abuse for the community group from an element of our support

We were accused of doing more for the " ethnics" than the " normal " fans

It was stirred by a particular group well known to most of us

A large proportion of this group of fans were and are , unless they have changed or snuffed it , out and out racists

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    As has been indicated by TLG the trust did loads of work to try and encourage the club to engage with the local community in the areas of Grangetown, Butetown and Riverside

The trust held an evening at the stadium which was hijacked by the club and instead of asking fans from the citys ethnic minorities present about involvement we were given a slide show on how great cardiff city were at engaging with the community

It was cobblers

At one point a fan from the docks of west Indian origin asked the club about real jobs for the local community at Cardiff City .......he , like most of those assembled meant office jobs , PR , administration , advertising, back room staff etc

The groundsman interrupted with the suggestion that there were lots of casual jobs in catering ......in other words , serving burgers

It was unbelievable , I spoke to the guy who raised the question after the presentation and I said I am sorry I don't know what to say ��

After the event , which was very David Brent I spoke to a group of somali lads and they said all their mates love football but don't feel welcome at Cardiff City

And when you see and witness the backward ignorant attitude of the club towards inclusion you can see why

Cardiff City has on its doorstep a large black and Asian community . Unless things have changed the club is still ignoring them .
    I really don't get the club at times, they just seem happy doing the bare minimum in pretty much every department. Cardiff and its surrounding areas has so many great communities and different identities as you pointed out. We've also got Welsh language communities popping up everywhere and our historical links with mining towns in the valleys. I don't see any of these reflected in the club at all, just an identikit stadium and platitudes

I really don't get the club at times, they just seem happy doing the bare minimum in pretty much every department. Cardiff and its surrounding areas has so many great communities and different identities as you pointed out. We've also got Welsh language communities popping up everywhere and our historical links with mining towns in the valleys. I don't see any of these reflected in the club at all, just an identikit stadium and platitudes
    Cardiff City has a record of thinking people are just going to turn up and watch them . The PR department of Cardiff City seems to be stuck in time . And its approach to community involvement is a joke .

Swansea City , who I pray lose every game , are far more involved with the population of Swansea and the surrounding areas than us and have been for years .

Its unforgiveable really

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Really disappointing to hear this

It was cobblers

It was unbelievable , I spoke to the guy who raised the question after the presentation and I said I am sorry I don't know what to say 😐

I'm not surprised to hear any of that. What was it Sludge, 10 years ago? Things look like they haven't changed. Fans should Email the club and complain. I hope the press get hold of it as well. Cardiff has a proud history of fighting racism, and although far from perfect, is in a much healthier position (when it comes to inclusion) than plenty of other towns and cities. CCFC should be ashamed, and the person who used the words 'Reverse Racism' needs educating.

I'm not surprised to hear any of that. What was it Sludge, 10 years ago? Things look like they haven't changed. Fans should Email the club and complain. I hope the press get hold of it as well. Cardiff has a proud history of fighting racism, and although far from perfect, is in a much healthier position (when it comes to inclusion) than plenty of other towns and cities. CCFC should be ashamed, and the person who used the words 'Reverse Racism' needs educating.
    Good shout about emailing the club, we could suggest that a few of the players get down to James St for a photo opportunity. The squad is quite diverse and it should be celebrated.

It was cobblers

If i had asked the same i would no doubt get the same offer of a catering job.