+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Re: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I sent an email to the club. If you feel strongly about this I suggest you do the same.

My email..

As a lifelong Cardiff City fan I am absolutely appalled by the negative, incoherent and ultimate lack of engagement and support with Yusuf Ismael and his My City My Shirt campaign.

Like many city fans my family is diverse and Yusuf has created an amazing innovative campaign that links minorities with the club.

To hear the club was unwilling to support Yusuf is quite frankly prehistoric. Furthermore, the excuse the club made to not support Yusuf verges on the ridiculous, pandering to a tiny minority of white nationalists whose attitudes are quite frankly not even welcome at a club.

The vast majority of city fans respect and welcome diversity. The fan base live in a vibrant, tolerant and diverse city - it's a shame that the decision makers at the club do not see this and are living in the past.

Hopefully this was a misstep and an oversight. I would strongly encourage the club to reconsider the lack of support to Yusuf, who represents the best of city fans.
    Has anyone who e mailed the club yet had a reply, as opposed to an acknowledgment of receipt? I’ve had neither so far.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Has anyone who e mailed the club yet had a reply, as opposed to an acknowledgment of receipt? I’ve had neither so far.
    No.

This has made me really mad.

I could probably think of only one or two city fans who would take offence at this campaign (you'll find them on the other message board).. so it's a complete own goal by the club.

I’ve just had the acknowledgement, no reply as such.

No.

This has made me really mad.

I could probably think of only one or two city fans who would take offence at this campaign (you'll find them on the other message board).. so it's a complete own goal by the club.
    Agreed, I’ve not listened to the podcast yet, maybe that will get a reaction from them?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cardiff City , like a lot of football clubs were once white , working class domains

Arsenal , Spurs etc always had a mixed following , also west ham

But even in cities like Birmingham and Leeds , there was a right wing element

We have a small minority of idiots but the main reason why there are not many black or Asian faces at cardiff city is that the club has never reached out for support. If the club expects its traditional fan base of Cardiff, the valleys , Bridgend to just turn up , you be assured its got to put a lot of effort into attracting others

My view is that if a black bloke works on a project to embrace the history of the city of Cardiff and it involves a city shirt painted on a prominent place the club should be fully behind it , not hiding and talking of reverse racism

I fundamentally disagree with your account of past idiotic actions . If I go to my neighbour who is Indian and punch him in the face because he has parked his van in my drive , I will be charged with assault . If I punch him and call him a greasy Indian immigrant then its racially motivated .

When Cardiff city played Birmingham in 1995 Cardiff fans arrived at New Street station in late morning looking for hooligans from the Birmingham City zulu gang to fight. The zulus were a mixed race football gang of all colours and if Cardiff fans were racist and looking for black guys to attack they should have just stopped the train and fought amongst themselves as plenty of black hooligans supporting Cardiff were at St Andrews that day
    When I am seeing a group of Cardiff City fans attacking groups of Asian youths in succession for no apparent reason and chanting racist insults in the progress, I don't stop and try to analyse whether they planned to do it before they left Cardiff or did it on the spur of the moment whilst they were marauding around the streets of the away town. It makes no difference anyway, either way it is still racially motivated assault. I never said there was incidence of attacks on black people. I was aware that a number of our hooligans were black (as far as I know none were of Asian descent) and what I witnessed in my travels were mainly attacks on Asian people. The things that I witnessed against black people from our fans were mainly verbal or provocation in grounds, not fights outside. There was a lot of antagonism and rivalry between Black and Asian people in those days and I guess that fuelled the situations I saw. The black members of our hooligan gangs would have been more than keen to ‘take on’ any Asians they came across as a result. Perhaps they were leading it - who knows. I agree over the mural being nothing but a good thing by the way but see it from the clubs point of view as well. They have done a lot of good things in the community in recent years.

I sent an email to the club. If you feel strongly about this I suggest you do the same.

My email..

As a lifelong Cardiff City fan I am absolutely appalled by the negative, incoherent and ultimate lack of engagement and support with Yusuf Ismael and his My City My Shirt campaign.

Like many city fans my family is diverse and Yusuf has created an amazing innovative campaign that links minorities with the club.

To hear the club was unwilling to support Yusuf is quite frankly prehistoric. Furthermore, the excuse the club made to not support Yusuf verges on the ridiculous, pandering to a tiny minority of white nationalists whose attitudes are quite frankly not even welcome at a club.

The vast majority of city fans respect and welcome diversity. The fan base live in a vibrant, tolerant and diverse city - it's a shame that the decision makers at the club do not see this and are living in the past.

Hopefully this was a misstep and an oversight. I would strongly encourage the club to reconsider the lack of support to Yusuf, who represents the best of city fans.
    Very well put. The excuse that this campaign may put off ‘the fan base’ is extraordinary and yes, probably having the minority loons we all know about in mind. Disgusting to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    As an 18 year old on one of his first away day’s travelling by train that day was quite the eye opener
    The walk back to the station was interesting

Unsurprisingly, Blakey didn’t hold back in the podcast where the person behind the My City, My Shirt project repeated the reverse racism comment - that allegation has been in the public domain for some time now and the lack of a denial from the club in that time rather proves a point surely.

Not a peep

WOL have given it serious coverage!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...g-new-20308377

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Not a peep
    Not sure who you have emailed but I have had cause in the past to email the club but I found an email for Mehmet Dalman and emailed him direct - in fairness he came back fairly quickly with a considered response 👍

Cardiff City , like a lot of football clubs were once white , working class domains

Arsenal , Spurs etc always had a mixed following , also west ham

But even in cities like Birmingham and Leeds , there was a right wing element

We have a small minority of idiots but the main reason why there are not many black or Asian faces at cardiff city is that the club has never reached out for support. If the club expects its traditional fan base of Cardiff, the valleys , Bridgend to just turn up , you be assured its got to put a lot of effort into attracting others

My view is that if a black bloke works on a project to embrace the history of the city of Cardiff and it involves a city shirt painted on a prominent place the club should be fully behind it , not hiding and talking of reverse racism

I fundamentally disagree with your account of past idiotic actions . If I go to my neighbour who is Indian and punch him in the face because he has parked his van in my drive , I will be charged with assault . If I punch him and call him a greasy Indian immigrant then its racially motivated .

When Cardiff city played Birmingham in 1995 Cardiff fans arrived at New Street station in late morning looking for hooligans from the Birmingham City zulu gang to fight. The zulus were a mixed race football gang of all colours and if Cardiff fans were racist and looking for black guys to attack they should have just stopped the train and fought amongst themselves as plenty of black hooligans supporting Cardiff were at St Andrews that day
    I followed Cardiff home and away during the late 70s through to the late 80s and can honestly say I have never seen any racially targeted violence - basically just a bunch of dick heads looking for trouble and being indiscriminate ironically at who the target was including trying to fight their own fans if they came across them in an away game and wasn't sure where they were from (personal experience twice)

The saddest thing for me is that a really good opportunity to increase the reach of the club and extend its fan base is being lost and this thread has highlighted the impact that hooligans have had and are still having on this club as it is still being discussed not only by us but by others about our club.

How long will it take for our club to lose this shameful tag??

What I didn't realise is that this project is even bigger than I thought. I posted photos of the street-art in Butetown but there are posters all over the city! I'm not kidding, this kind of publicity would cost a fortune if organised through a PR company.

I'm even more annoyed now. I haven't received any reply from the club yet. My other half is mailing everyone she can find a contact for as I'm doubtful many of the senior management team (or players) know/knew about this (which is ironic).

I can't believe we've scored such an own goal. It's enbarassing.

Here's a link to how big this is https://bricksmagazine.co.uk/2020/11...m-in-football/

For information re earlier discussion and poster's comments - here's a link to Cardiff City's Diversity & Equality page and on this page is a link to our Diversity & Equality policy https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/club/diversity-equality

Just to clarify, the steet-art in Butetown is the latest installment and has only just gone up - the street-posters, as far as I know, aren't up anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    What I didn't realise is that this project is even bigger than I thought. I posted photos of the street-art in Butetown but there are posters all over the city! I'm not kidding, this kind of publicity would cost a fortune if organised through a PR company.

I'm even more annoyed now. I haven't received any reply from the club yet. My other half is mailing everyone she can find a contact for as I'm doubtful many of the senior management team (or players) know/knew about this (which is ironic).

Here's a link to how big this is https://bricksmagazine.co.uk/2020/11...m-in-football/

For information re earlier discussion and poster's comments - here's a link to Cardiff City's Diversity & Equality page and on this page is a link to our Diversity & Equality policy https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/club/diversity-equality
    I can, the club are consistently good at being bad at marketing

Unsurprisingly, Blakey didn’t hold back in the podcast where the person behind the My City, My Shirt project repeated the reverse racism comment - that allegation has been in the public domain for some time now and the lack of a denial from the club in that time rather proves a point surely.
    The artist said it was a woman. I can only think of two people it might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Have you got a e mail to where we can ask if the club can get on board with this fantastic project ?

If they just ignore us then we can at least say please drop that diversity statement, its complete bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Not sure who you have emailed but I have had cause in the past to email the club but I found an email for Mehmet Dalman and emailed him direct - in fairness he came back fairly quickly with a considered response 👍
    whats his email ?

Have you got a e mail to where we can ask if the club can get on board with this fantastic project ?

If they just ignore us then we can at least say please drop that diversity statement, its complete bullshit
    On this page Sludge are three relevant emails (I don't want to post them on here) - they're under:

Contact Us (which is a catch-all club email I've used previously and marked FAO insert name and title

Fan Engagement i.e. the Fan Engagement Officer (her name and email is there)

Community Foundation (their email is there too),

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/club/visit-contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    WOL have given it serious coverage!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...g-new-20308377
    It is a decent article fair play, if a little economical with the truth as to the club reasons. I'm guessing they want to keep their full allocation of press passes and privileges though

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You don’t even know if this was the person who said it but why wait for confirmation before you and others start a witch hunt and character assignation on the young girl.
    Hi, just to clarify, there's no doubt as to origin of the quote 'reverse racism' which is what this discussion should be all about. The article in https://bricksmagazine.co.uk/2020/11...m-in-football/ written by Prishita Maheshwari-Aplin is comprehensive and cites the job title of the person Yusuf had a meeting with and as I've said, I spoke to him personally the other day - so, as I've stated earlier, I'm satisfied as to the source.

I made a point in my first post of not wanting to name anyone - my fear being that this is not a place for doing so and neither should we be personalising the issue. This is a Cardiff City FC issue and it is for them to address it.

Let's not lose ourselves in side-issues when we should be focussing on the missed opportunities and the fact that the club clearly needs to engage and discuss with creatives like Yusuf and the local community in a more informed and contemporary fashion.

I've removed the posts where names were mentioned and some crappy comments made.

Apologies. Still shameful from the club though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Apologies. Still shameful from the club though.
    let's hope the reasonable and constructive e mails are listened to

If they are not and nothing is done we will know that the club is not paying lip service to the issue of inclusion , its actively acting against it

If thats the case then its time to question ones loyalty to CCFC

I think in life you have morals and principles and if CCFC just brush this vital issue away then I will support the team but not the club