+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Re: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Last game of the season a few years back at Valley Parade during a 2-0 defeat some numbnut near me started singing ‘Sing when you’re burning, you only sing when you’re burning’, I tore him off a right strip and so did a few others. The next day was a family day at Rick Wright’s Majestic Holiday Camp, I’m with my lot and guess who’s walking towards me? He turned away, in shame I hope, and changed direction, horrible, horrible thing to sing, shame on him.
    Yeah disgusting. I never understood fans who bait other fans using football disasters as bait. Trampled by a horse is another that disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Last game of the season a few years back at Valley Parade during a 2-0 defeat some numbnut near me started singing ‘Sing when you’re burning, you only sing when you’re burning’, I tore him off a right strip and so did a few others. The next day was a family day at Rick Wright’s Majestic Holiday Camp, I’m with my lot and guess who’s walking towards me? He turned away, in shame I hope, and changed direction, horrible, horrible thing to sing, shame on him.
    I was at that game. There were fun and games that day.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Fair enough. I travelled a couple of times with the Rams where that type of behaviour was pretty normal. It’s like some people are let out for the day without their carer and go bananas.
    Definitely true. I remember some of the coaches pulling up and people literally falling out of the door they were so pissed. Not all, obviously, but imagine having to get in that much of a state travelling on a coach. **** me, that's a problem. They'd then proceed to **** it all up for the majority of decent fans because the police would change their attitude. It was a minority though....i think

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Definitely true. I remember some of the coaches pulling up and people literally falling out of the door they were so pissed. Not all, obviously, but imagine having to get in that much of a state travelling on a coach. **** me, that's a problem. They'd then proceed to **** it all up for the majority of decent fans because the police would change their attitude. It was a minority though....i think
    I went to Swindon away with them. Sunday game I think. One old fella (50s I’d say) was so pissed on the way up he literally stepped off the coach and started to piss in front of the coppers, who nicked him there and then. He had his grandson with him who must have been 10/11 ffs. Thankfully he was also with some mates so they could look after his grandson but what a state to get into on a Sunday morning day out with your grandchild

I was at that game. There were fun and games that day.
    I was living in Bradford at the time, the worst violence the city had ever seen according to the telegraph and argus in the days following the game .

I went into Bradford interchange to meet a mate off the train from Leeds, couldn't get anywhere near it , cardiffs train lot turned up and it was carnage , a huge bloke came up to me and said get out of town , cardiff are here . I said I am cardiff . He said , stick with us we are going to sort Bradford and Leeds out so I said cheers mate but I have to go to the cashpoint .

The Rams was the start of anyone travelling independently had to let the old ****ing bill know. My mates went to Norwich with them and they stopped off in Wooten Bassett on way home for a drink and the Rams end up smashing this vilage pub up and beat up a load of students / kids. They were a ****ing embarrassment.

Yeah disgusting. I never understood fans who bait other fans using football disasters as bait. Trampled by a horse is another that disgusts me.
    I was in the car park at Ninian and a load of Bridgend were pretending to be on horseback , I thought it was the jacks are gypsies piss take .

Later on I realised what they were doing .

Makes you wonder whats going on upstairs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I was living in Bradford at the time, the worst violence the city had ever seen according to the telegraph and argus in the days following the game .

I went into Bradford interchange to meet a mate off the train from Leeds, couldn't get anywhere near it , cardiffs train lot turned up and it was carnage , a huge bloke came up to me and said get out of town , cardiff are here . I said I am cardiff . He said , stick with us we are going to sort Bradford and Leeds out so I said cheers mate but I have to go to the cashpoint .
    I was on that train

The Rams was the start of anyone travelling independently had to let the old ****ing bill know. My mates went to Norwich with them and they stopped off in Wooten Bassett on way home for a drink and the Rams end up smashing this vilage pub up and beat up a load of students / kids. They were a ****ing embarrassment.
    Some of them were a handful, to say the least. I couldn't understand that level of drinking. Sat on a stinking coach and getting mashed up. What a set up.

Huddersfield away was bad news , the rams drank in Manchester and got the train over to Huddersfield with the coaches going to the ground to pick them up

The police attacked the rams outside Huddersfield train station , totally uncalled for , marched them past Huddersfields main pub and several fans were injured

After the game the rams had a right go at the police in revenge for what had gone on earlier , one copper was given a right hiding

Not nice to see

Mothercare shut was it?

I was on that train
    this lot were serious loonies

There was a pub on the left of the hill as you walk to valley parade

That was demolished

What kind of kick do people get out of that ?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Mothercare shut was it?
    Don't come that with me

Fair enough. I travelled a couple of times with the Rams where that type of behaviour was pretty normal. It’s like some people are let out for the day without their carer and go bananas.
    There you go then. I can assure you that in the 70’s and 80’s particularly but also into the 90’s, there was racist behaviour going on both inside and outside the grounds by City fans. Monkey noises, throwing bananas, chants of you black b****** at players, using the N word, shouting a derogatory German word for black person at individual players, gangs of City supporters wandering around away towns looking for Asian people to beat up etc. This was in addition to general levels of violence towards the police and away fans (and sometimes between themselves !). It was not a pleasant atmosphere at all and led me to stop going away eventually. A reputation like that takes a very long time to go away and it is no wonder that Black and Asian people especially are still reluctant to come along. It is totally different now thank god, due to work by the club, fans groups, Police and football authorities but there is still some work to be done obviously.

What utter bollox. Having a few morons who can’t hold their beer and use racist language is one thing, but suggesting Cardiff had a hooligan element who seeked out black or Asian supporters to dish out violence, im sorry but that’s utter, utter bollox.

Some of the main players in the Soul Crew in the 80s and 90s were black lads.

What utter bollox. Having a few morons who can’t hold their beer and use racist language is one thing, but suggesting Cardiff had a hooligan element who seeked out black or Asian supporters to dish out violence, im sorry but that’s utter, utter bollox.

Some of the main players in the Soul Crew in the 80s and 90s were black lads.
    You go from denying it ever happened at all, to trying to make out that it was an isolated few and that there was no violence or racism involved. Well, I am telling you that I saw it and heard it and you admit that you weren't even following City at the time. Once again you think that only your opinion is valid and that you know everything. Well sorry to burst your bubble, you obviously aren't as clever as you think. You toddle along believing what you like. The longer people like you do that, the less likely it is that the problem will ever be fully and finally solved.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You go from denying it ever happened at all, to trying to make out that it was an isolated few and that there was no violence or racism involved. Well, I am telling you that I saw it and heard it and you admit that you weren't even following City at the time. Once again you think that only your opinion is valid and that you know everything. Well sorry to burst your bubble, you obviously aren't as clever as you think. You toddle along believing what you like. The longer people like you do that, the less likely it is that the problem will ever be fully and finally solved.
    We have had some idiots following us over the years and a minority of our fans have racist views and some have acted those views out

But groups of Cardiff fans travelling to say Birmingham with the intent of confronting Black and Asian people ?

No , I am sorry that is incorrect . I have no doubt and have witnessed racist behaviour from Cardiff fans from time to time but not organised racist gang attacks .

Banging the windows on a coach at Asian people is pathetic behaviour and embarrassing but travelling to another city to attack ethnic minority people ?

Thats not happened

Good discussion about this on the latest A Bit of Swazz podcast

https://twitter.com/SwazzPod/status/...417874432?s=20

We have had some idiots following us over the years and a minority of our fans have racist views and some have acted those views out

But groups of Cardiff fans travelling to say Birmingham with the intent of confronting Black and Asian people ?

No , I am sorry that is incorrect . I have no doubt and have witnessed racist behaviour from Cardiff fans from time to time but not organised racist gang attacks .

Banging the windows on a coach at Asian people is pathetic behaviour and embarrassing but travelling to another city to attack ethnic minority people ?

Thats not happened
    Sorry but yes it has. In the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s I used to go to every home game and about 8 or 9 away games a season, mainly around London or up North, because I lived away from South Wales for work. I would usually go by car and made a point of never going in the City fans section as I actually wanted to watch the football and avoid any trouble. I would either go in one if the main grandstands or possibly in the family area of the home fans. I would park away from the ground and walk to it. In those days it was easy to pay on the gate or buy a ticket on the day. Walking to the grounds I witnessed all sorts of things, including groups of Cardiff fans wandering around causing trouble both verbally and physically. Intimidating local residents and yes attacking small or larger groups of mainly Asian youths for no good reason. It is true that there were black ‘kids’ in the Cardiff hardcore ‘fans’ around that time but anyone who thinks that Black and Asian youths had any respect or liking for each other or avoided confrontation with each other in those times would be sadly deluded. The atmosphere within grounds had an under current of racism to it as well with the chanting and shouting. We certainly weren't the worst in this respect but definitely achieved a reputation which is proving very difficult to shake off. Things nowadays are totally different and I haven't witnessed anything that I would call racist or serious violence for probably well over 15 years. This is mainly due to actions the club, football league and police have taken, especially since we moved stadiums.

Sorry but yes it has. In the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s I used to go to every home game and about 8 or 9 away games a season, mainly around London or up North, because I lived away from South Wales for work. I would usually go by car and made a point of never going in the City fans section as I actually wanted to watch the football and avoid any trouble. I would either go in one if the main grandstands or possibly in the family area of the home fans. I would park away from the ground and walk to it. In those days it was easy to pay on the gate or buy a ticket on the day. Walking to the grounds I witnessed all sorts of things, including groups of Cardiff fans wandering around causing trouble both verbally and physically. Intimidating local residents and yes attacking small or larger groups of mainly Asian youths for no good reason. It is true that there were black ‘kids’ in the Cardiff hardcore ‘fans’ around that time but anyone who thinks that Black and Asian youths had any respect or liking for each other or avoided confrontation with each other in those times would be sadly deluded. The atmosphere within grounds had an under current of racism to it as well with the chanting and shouting. We certainly weren't the worst in this respect but definitely achieved a reputation which is proving very difficult to shake off. Things nowadays are totally different and I haven't witnessed anything that I would call racist or serious violence for probably well over 15 years. This is mainly due to actions the club, football league and police have taken, especially since we moved stadiums.
    you are saying gangs of Cardiff city fans went to away matches and targeted people from black and Asian backgrounds to attack them ?

No chance

Cardiff fans would attack anyone , I would agree with that and some still do , but we don't have a combat 18 type fringe

you are saying gangs of Cardiff city fans went to away matches and targeted people from black and Asian backgrounds to attack them ?

No chance

Cardiff fans would attack anyone , I would agree with that and some still do , but we don't have a combat 18 type fringe
    I think you are being a bit pedantic here. It makes no difference if they went away planning to look for groups of black or Asian people to attack or whether they came across them during the general desire to cause problems. It would still be racially motivated targeting and assault. Either could be true. All I know is it happened and what we are discussing is the reasons why people from ethnic minority groups obviously find it difficult to support or watch Cardiff City. My opinion is that an important part of this is the history and reputation (no longer deserved) our fans have for causing problems and not making these groups feel welcome.

No chance

He’s just making it up as he goes along mun.

First they were targeting blacks, then when it’s put to him City’s main hooligan element included black lads they were actually targeting Asians instead and now it transpires they weren’t specifically targeting either of these races they just may have come across them when causing trouble in general.

I think you are being a bit pedantic here. It makes no difference if they went away planning to look for groups of black or Asian people to attack or whether they came across them during the general desire to cause problems. It would still be racially motivated targeting and assault. Either could be true. All I know is it happened and what we are discussing is the reasons why people from ethnic minority groups obviously find it difficult to support or watch Cardiff City. My opinion is that an important part of this is the history and reputation (no longer deserved) our fans have for causing problems and not making these groups feel welcome.
    Cardiff City , like a lot of football clubs were once white , working class domains

Arsenal , Spurs etc always had a mixed following , also west ham

But even in cities like Birmingham and Leeds , there was a right wing element

We have a small minority of idiots but the main reason why there are not many black or Asian faces at cardiff city is that the club has never reached out for support. If the club expects its traditional fan base of Cardiff, the valleys , Bridgend to just turn up , you be assured its got to put a lot of effort into attracting others

My view is that if a black bloke works on a project to embrace the history of the city of Cardiff and it involves a city shirt painted on a prominent place the club should be fully behind it , not hiding and talking of reverse racism

I fundamentally disagree with your account of past idiotic actions . If I go to my neighbour who is Indian and punch him in the face because he has parked his van in my drive , I will be charged with assault . If I punch him and call him a greasy Indian immigrant then its racially motivated .

When Cardiff city played Birmingham in 1995 Cardiff fans arrived at New Street station in late morning looking for hooligans from the Birmingham City zulu gang to fight. The zulus were a mixed race football gang of all colours and if Cardiff fans were racist and looking for black guys to attack they should have just stopped the train and fought amongst themselves as plenty of black hooligans supporting Cardiff were at St Andrews that day

Cardiff City , like a lot of football clubs were once white , working class domains

Arsenal , Spurs etc always had a mixed following , also west ham

But even in cities like Birmingham and Leeds , there was a right wing element

We have a small minority of idiots but the main reason why there are not many black or Asian faces at cardiff city is that the club has never reached out for support. If the club expects its traditional fan base of Cardiff, the valleys , Bridgend to just turn up , you be assured its got to put a lot of effort into attracting others

My view is that if a black bloke works on a project to embrace the history of the city of Cardiff and it involves a city shirt painted on a prominent place the club should be fully behind it , not hiding and talking of reverse racism

I fundamentally disagree with your account of past idiotic actions . If I go to my neighbour who is Indian and punch him in the face because he has parked his van in my drive , I will be charged with assault . If I punch him and call him a greasy Indian immigrant then its racially motivated .

When Cardiff city played Birmingham in 1995 Cardiff fans arrived at New Street station in late morning looking for hooligans from the Birmingham City zulu gang to fight. The zulus were a mixed race football gang of all colours and if Cardiff fans were racist and looking for black guys to attack they should have just stopped the train and fought amongst themselves as plenty of black hooligans supporting Cardiff were at St Andrews that day
    As an 18 year old on one of his first away day’s travelling by train that day was quite the eye opener

I sent an email to the club. If you feel strongly about this I suggest you do the same.

My email..

As a lifelong Cardiff City fan I am absolutely appalled by the negative, incoherent and ultimate lack of engagement and support with Yusuf Ismael and his My City My Shirt campaign.

Like many city fans my family is diverse and Yusuf has created an amazing innovative campaign that links minorities with the club.

To hear the club was unwilling to support Yusuf is quite frankly prehistoric. Furthermore, the excuse the club made to not support Yusuf verges on the ridiculous, pandering to a tiny minority of white nationalists whose attitudes are quite frankly not even welcome at a club.

The vast majority of city fans respect and welcome diversity. The fan base live in a vibrant, tolerant and diverse city - it's a shame that the decision makers at the club do not see this and are living in the past.

Hopefully this was a misstep and an oversight. I would strongly encourage the club to reconsider the lack of support to Yusuf, who represents the best of city fans.