Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
Fair enough. I travelled a couple of times with the Rams where that type of behaviour was pretty normal. It’s like some people are let out for the day without their carer and go bananas.
There you go then. I can assure you that in the 70’s and 80’s particularly but also into the 90’s, there was racist behaviour going on both inside and outside the grounds by City fans. Monkey noises, throwing bananas, chants of you black b****** at players, using the N word, shouting a derogatory German word for black person at individual players, gangs of City supporters wandering around away towns looking for Asian people to beat up etc. This was in addition to general levels of violence towards the police and away fans (and sometimes between themselves !). It was not a pleasant atmosphere at all and led me to stop going away eventually. A reputation like that takes a very long time to go away and it is no wonder that Black and Asian people especially are still reluctant to come along. It is totally different now thank god, due to work by the club, fans groups, Police and football authorities but there is still some work to be done obviously.