+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Re: MY CITY MY SHIRT

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I used the same email address. I really hope that fans put some pressure on the club over this.
    Football clubs in general and in our case CCFC talk a good game about inclusion and equality but its mostly hot air and bullshit and box ticking

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Mozzer you are a good bloke

But Cardiff City has never taken its role as the football club representing the city of Cardiff and its surrounding areas seriously

The trust tried to get various projects off the ground but it was a waste of time

You can't do much about fans having racist views .....apart from reporting them if it happens at games but the club has on its doorstep a very diverse community

These people are not seen at Cardiff City games in any great number

The club is very poor at getting its brand for want of a better word across to the overall population of Cardiff and South Wales , including potential fans on its doorstep

For a club official to suggest that promoting equality would possibly be reverse racism and offend our existing fan base, which is overwhelmingly white , is staggering
    sludge i,m only speaking from my experience having being involved in junior and youth football . The club was very active in going into schools and being involved in youth centres . just look at the community foundation web site

The impression im getting in this thread the club do nothing for the community which is nonsense . I,m speaking for a 10 year period up until 4 years ago as I.m not involved in junior football anymore

It seems we have 2 agendas here

cardiff city in the community
    diversity

to me cardiff city in the community has been very active in all of south wales having been involved with the community and the clubs foundation scheme .see web site

diversity - having worked and been friendly with a well known city fan of colour from grangetown for the best part of 25 years now initially we saw a gap with very little communication with the club but we made massive inroads in getting cardiff city involved in the Grange area and am proud of coaching kids from all different backgrounds for a 10 year period

Put it this way its a million times better when you and I started following the club and yes it could be better but that will come in time

I do see people mentioning the trust on this thread so I guess you see things in that light . I can only go on my experiences with the club and local community .Hopefully in the future we do get more people from all backgrounds to come down to the games

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    sludge i,m only speaking from my experience having being involved in junior and youth football . The club was very active in going into schools and being involved in youth centres . just look at the community foundation web site

The impression im getting in this thread the club do nothing for the community which is nonsense . I,m speaking for a 10 year period up until 4 years ago as I.m not involved in junior football anymore

diversity

to me cardiff city in the community has been very active in all of south wales having been involved with the community and the clubs foundation scheme .see web site

diversity - having worked and been friendly with a well known city fan of colour from grangetown for the best part of 25 years now initially we saw a gap with very little communication with the club but we made massive inroads in getting cardiff city involved in the Grange area and am proud of coaching kids from all different backgrounds for a 10 year period

Put it this way its a million times better when you and I started following the club and yes it could be better but that will come in time

I do see people mentioning the trust on this thread so I guess you see things in that light . I can only go on my experiences with the club and local community .Hopefully in the future we do get more people from all backgrounds to come down to the games
    Its drip drip drip and not good enough

If we have a senior member of cardiff city staff saying that they couldn't back an initiative to bring together the multi racial city of Cardiff closer to its football club because it might cause ......reverse racism .........and alienate our existing fan base........which is basically white ........then thats very worrying

It hardly gives people the impression Cardiff City is interested in doing anything about the situation

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

diversity

What's your opinion on the phrase 'Reverse Racism' ?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I sent mine via the contact us section on the home page of the club’s website, but I’ve had no acknowledgment of receipt since pressing the submit button with mine, so you may want to try a different way than that.
    I had a receipt saying they were receiving a lot of emails about other things but would reply ASAP. Check your spam folder maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I had a receipt saying they were receiving a lot of emails about other things but would reply ASAP. Check your spam folder maybe
    Same as me.

The words "reverse racism" sound very damning.
    We should expect some kind of statement from the club pdq explaining the intent of their use.
    Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    We should expect some kind of statement from the club pdq explaining the intent of their use.
    Incredible!
    Agreed, unbelievable thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Incredible!
    some suit will do a presentation

And everything will be ok

some suit will do a presentation

And everything will be ok
    Would think that words alone won't cut it. Sacrificial lamb I reckon.

No, not had anything like that. Looks like I’ll have to try again.

I saw the mural on Twitter the other day, so I hadnt clicked on this thread until now. I certainly wasn't expecting the appalling response from the club, awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I saw the mural on Twitter the other day, so I hadnt clicked on this thread until now. I certainly wasn't expecting the appalling response from the club, awful.
    Its like something out of a Bernard manning stand up

What a bunch of dinosaurs

The keyboard warriors are back out again, having found something new to beat the club over the head with, now that the team and manager are doing better.

It is the clubs job to treat ALL groups of fans exactly the same and provide an enjoyable/inclusive experience to everyone, whatever their ethnicity or background, both on match days and elsewhere around the club. They can not prioritise one group over another. The single biggest reason why people of different ethnic backgrounds feel unable to attend matches and be part of the club as fans, is the way in which they are treated by other fans and the fact that they perceive that coming to the ground would not be an enjoyable experience and could even be dangerous. This is partly down to the reputation the club has, thanks to the hooligan element of fans during the 70’s and 80’s and early 90’s who were undoubtedly racist in their attitude and behaviour toward players, opposing fans but also our own fans. I have seen a number of posters on this board admit, with some pride, that they were part of these gangs in the past but now indicate that. they are ‘reformed characters’. These are the people that need criticising for causing the situation in the first place. I have no doubt that many of the ex hooligans have ingrained racist ideals which they keep suppressed and they are the ones that need re-educating. They now mainly resurface on social media, where they think they are safe, as their behaviour is no longer tolerated in the stadiums.

It is the fans attitude and behaviour that will change this situation, not anything that the club can do. It is up to all of us to encourage people to come and support the club and show them what an enjoyable and inclusive experience it can be. The club have done their bit by eradicating most anti social and racist behaviour from in and around the stadium, which is why most problems tend to be online or ‘face to face’ between people nowadays.

The work the club has done needs praising, not continual criticism and we need to look at ourselves as fans to help find the solution to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The keyboard warriors are back out again, having found something new to beat the club over the head with, now that the team and manager are doing better.

It is the clubs job to treat ALL groups of fans exactly the same and provide an enjoyable/inclusive experience to everyone, whatever their ethnicity or background, both on match days and elsewhere around the club. They can not prioritise one group over another. The single biggest reason why people of different ethnic backgrounds feel unable to attend matches and be part of the club as fans, is the way in which they are treated by other fans and the fact that they perceive that coming to the ground would not be an enjoyable experience and could even be dangerous. This is partly down to the reputation the club has, thanks to the hooligan element of fans during the 70’s and 80’s and early 90’s who were undoubtedly racist in their attitude and behaviour toward players, opposing fans but also our own fans. I have seen a number of posters on this board admit, with some pride, that they were part of these gangs in the past but now indicate that. they are ‘reformed characters’. These are the people that need criticising for causing the situation in the first place. I have no doubt that many of the ex hooligans have ingrained racist ideals which they keep suppressed and they are the ones that need re-educating. They now mainly resurface on social media, where they think they are safe, as their behaviour is no longer tolerated in the stadiums.

It is the fans attitude and behaviour that will change this situation, not anything that the club can do. It is up to all of us to encourage people to come and support the club and show them what an enjoyable and inclusive experience it can be. The club have done their bit by eradicating most anti social and racist behaviour from in and around the stadium, which is why most problems tend to be online or ‘face to face’ between people nowadays.

The work the club has done needs praising, not continual criticism and we need to look at ourselves as fans to help find the solution to this problem.
    What did the fan who painted that do wrong?

My wife and I walked around to see it this morning. It's just around the corner from us on the side of Mischief's on James St near West Bute Street. Spoke to Yusuf (who's outside and chatting to people) who's a top bloke and yes, the CCFC Media Liaison Officer apparently used the words 'reverse racism' which is just jaw-droppingly bad and I feel embarrassed for the club.

We are emailing the club too.

This isn't 'club-bashing' (a weirdly ironic term!) but seriously questioning the language used by a senior representative of CCFC. I'd like to hear a full explanation as to why they used this term.

There's been some really useful posts re. this subject and the club's response. Sludge's comments re. the Trust Meeting and the club hijacking the event are very interesting, depressing but sad. It's so good to read overwhelming shock at the club's lack of support.

Anyone who thinks CCFC is a welcoming club and there's no problem needs to speak to the local communities in Cardiff and not just as some PR exercise but chat to the people in Butetown and Grangetown who love football and want to support their local club.

I don't think we should shout down the historical legacy of hooliganism either. The image of a violent football supporter fanbase is still something the club has to contend with and to think that's no longer a problem is not helped by some of the chants we still hear from supporters today (anti-English, The Hymns & Arias lyrics are two examples) as well as some fans frothing over players 'taking the knee'. None of this helps the club and needs to stop.

I don't want to get into further debate re this but just felt that having spoken to Yusuf and been blown away by his enthusiasm, drive and the will to see this project through, I wanted to post something. Oh, and a big shout-out to the guy who runs(owns?) Mischief's for giving the green light too.

Here're some pics I took this morning to show just how big and prominent this piece of art is locally.

Attachment 4382
    Attachment 4383
    Attachment 4384

Using phrases like reverse racism is what everyone has the biggest issue with and a high ranking person at the club saying that does the exact opposite of what you're saying has been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_racism

I don't know where to start

Firstly initiatives to stamp out racism and welcome the community were started by the fans via the trust

We had opposition from fans who were about as racist as you can get and also when the club did agree to a community day they basically turned it into a public relations event about how great the youth programme was and how they were teaching the youngsters maths and stuff

They then brought on three young lads , none of whom were from the minority communities the event was supposed to be about

How is encouraging and welcoming people from multi racial , inner city cardiff prioritising ?

What has the club done to eradicate racist behaviour ?

It is fans who are courageous enough to report incidents of racist abuse that do that

It sounds to me like you don't understand the stupidity and ignorance of the term reverse racism

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    My wife and I walked around to see it this morning. It's just around the corner from us on the side of Mischief's on James St near West Bute Street. Spoke to Yusuf (who's outside and chatting to people) who's a top bloke and yes, the CCFC Media Liaison Officer apparently used the words 'reverse racism' which is just jaw-droppingly bad and I feel embarrassed for the club.

This isn't 'club-bashing' (a weirdly ironic term!) but seriously questioning the language used by a senior representative of CCFC. I'd like to hear a full explanation as to why they used this term.

There's been some really useful posts re. this subject and the club's response. Sludge's comments re. the Trust Meeting and the club hijacking the event are very interesting, depressing but sad. It's so good to read overwhelming shock at the club's lack of support.

Anyone who thinks CCFC is a welcoming club and there's no problem needs to speak to the local communities in Cardiff and not just as some PR exercise but chat to the people in Butetown and Grangetown who love football and want to support their local club.

I don't think we should shout down the historical legacy of hooliganism either. The image of a violent football supporter fanbase is still something the club has to contend with and to think that's no longer a problem is not helped by some of the chants we still hear from supporters today (anti-English, The Hymns & Arias lyrics are two examples) as well as some fans frothing over players 'taking the knee'. None of this helps the club and needs to stop.

I don't want to get into further debate re this but just felt that having spoken to Yusuf and been blown away by his enthusiasm, drive and the will to see this project through, I wanted to post something. Oh, and a big shout-out to the guy who runs(owns?) Mischief's for giving the green light too.

Here're some pics I took this morning to show just how big and prominent this piece of art is locally.

Attachment 4382
    Attachment 4383
    Attachment 4384
    fantastic

Bluebirds !

Using phrases like reverse racism is what everyone has the biggest issue with and a high ranking person at the club saying that does the exact opposite of what you're saying has been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_racism
    Its beyond belief that a representative of Cardiff City could use that term

If its like that at the top no wonder hardly any people of colour support Cardiff City , despite the area being multi racial

Its beyond belief that a representative of Cardiff City could use that term

If its like that at the top no wonder hardly any people of colour support Cardiff City , despite the area being multi racial
    Despite the 3 people at the top of the clubs hierarchy being multi racial?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Attachment 4382
    Attachment 4383
    Attachment 4384
    Fair do's, that is spectacular. Great work Yusuf.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    How is that relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Even more worrying then

Anyway i just wanted to say i liked the mural. 8 pages of bickering ffs