+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Re: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, there were fans who wanted to go back to blue, but i'm not sure how vocal they were initially, those that still went to watch games. I suppose it was difficult for them, as there would've been a sizeable amount of support who didn't give a shit either way, and an element who were for the rebrand. Poor form, the debacle with Malky and that other bloke who were found to have sent racist text messages, Ole ****ing up, relegation, and general Slade, all helped in Tan reconsidering, and i'm sure it helped in swaying some fans to become more vocal, why not if hardly anything was gained from it all, we'd re assumed our previous position or lower, with inferior players. A good time to be vocal and critical, and much easier to protest when the team is struggling and there is no incentive (anymore) to play in red.

As for the fans that walked. Well, i stayed away, but returned when my son went mad for the club, although he hated red. We actually went back under Slade, or he sort of dragged me along. I'm very pleased that he did. Others who haven't returned were probably more hurt by the reaction of our support than that of Tan, although i can't speak for them. The one thing that i learnt from the whole shit show is that we may all support the same team, but our morals, ethics and perceptions are different towards the club and what we find important. That sounds a bit stupid now, why wouldn't they be? I think that i went through my CCFC supporting life thinking that when it came to the club, we all thought and wanted the same thing. How stupid and naive i was.
    Absolutely great post and agree with the sentiment and whilst not walking away I asked my son what he wanted to do and he said he wanted to carry on following the club as he was convinced it would go back to blue and he was following and supporting the club not the owner. I'm glad he had that view as it echoed mine and we have had some great days since and will continue to do so with and without Tan. I remember the last minute winner in our first game in red I hated the game hated the fact we were in red but the emotion when that goal went it felt the same - right or wrong I don't know but it was instinctive.

My view of the couple of years in red gets catalogued alongside the hooligan years when so called fans dragged our club through the shit week in week out and we will always be associated with that period as much as we will having changed our colours - both skid marks on our history and both made decent fans stay away until things got better

Having said all that can't wait to get back to the ground and scream at complete strangers for 90 minutes 👍

I read do many people say they fell out with people over the rebrand. Maybe it's just me but I have a lot of city fans as friends some went with it and some didn't. Nothing close to a falling out, hardly a heated word just difference of opinion. I

He made a bad decision, that doesn't make him a bad man.

I hated him at the time, and boycotted the red years, do I hate him now? No, he eventually got over his ego and listened.

Good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Absolutely great post and agree with the sentiment and whilst not walking away I asked my son what he wanted to do and he said he wanted to carry on following the club as he was convinced it would go back to blue and he was following and supporting the club not the owner. I'm glad he had that view as it echoed mine and we have had some great days since and will continue to do so with and without Tan. I remember the last minute winner in our first game in red I hated the game hated the fact we were in red but the emotion when that goal went it felt the same - right or wrong I don't know but it was instinctive.

My view of the couple of years in red gets catalogued alongside the hooligan years when so called fans dragged our club through the shit week in week out and we will always be associated with that period as much as we will having changed our colours - both skid marks on our history and both made decent fans stay away until things got better

Having said all that can't wait to get back to the ground and scream at complete strangers for 90 minutes 👍
    Two absolutely great posts. Your's and Tuerto's.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Warren Feeney?

Good spot. Thank you

No idea how autocorrect went for Warren instead of Charlie ‘Chuck’ Feenie but Ho hey

Chuck has actually officially now given away all of his billions to charity according to Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Two absolutely great posts. Your's and Tuerto's.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    So it wasn’t action by the fans that reversed the rebrand?
    Not unless you consider not turning up to watch games after the team has been relegated and the football has turned to shit as 'action'.

The fact of the matter is that a far greater number of Cardiff City fans actively embraced Vincent Tan's rebrand than actively opposed it, while the large majority simply shrugged their shoulders and carried on supporting the team regardless. No amount of attempted revisionism at this stage will alter what actually happened from May 2012 until January 2015.

As for Vinnie himself, he's clearly a special kind of narcissist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not unless you consider not turning up to watch games after the team has been relegated and the football has turned to shit as 'action'.

The fact of the matter is that a far greater number of Cardiff City fans actively embraced Vincent Tan's rebrand than actively opposed it, while the large majority simply shrugged their shoulders and carried on supporting the team regardless. No amount of attempted revisionism at this stage will alter what actually happened from May 2012 until January 2015.

Agree with that and to be fair to Vinnie I have zero respect for the fans that led him down the rebrand path, blinded by money and personal greed.

I am indifferent when it comes to him, narcissist for sure and also arrogant and stubborn but mis-advised by snakes.

If Tan hadn’t gone ahead with the colour change, what would your opinion be on his tenure so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    ��
    Tan's mum had a dream.Keep up at the back

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If Tan hadn’t gone ahead with the colour change, what would your opinion be on his tenure so far?
    You might as well ask me what my opinion of Vincent Tan would be if he was somebody entirely different who behaved entirely differently. Utterly pointless question, really. However, if you want to assess things from a football perspective while taking nothing else into consideration, the truth is the club is no further forward now that it was when Tan took control.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Agree with that and to be fair to Vinnie I have zero respect for the fans that led him down the rebrand path, blinded by money and personal greed.
    I don't think it's fair to say the fans led Tan down the rebrand path. That was a path very much of his own making. Of course, there were those nauseating individuals who started grovelling at his feet when he threatened to reduce his promised funding, but that was all a bluff anyway. He'd already decided the club was going to be rebranded and that was the end of that.

Tan was very definitely misadvised, but not in the way you seem to believe. When he introduced his rebranding ideas he was told by various club officials that the opposition from the fans would be fierce and strong. As it turned out, all of those involved were surprised by how meek and mild the response from the fanbase was and how few supporters took a genuine stand against the rebrand. Indeed, the number of fans who requested refunds on their season tickets was so small that the CEO was able to find time to contact most of them personally in an attempt to get them to change their minds.

Still the best owner we've ever had .

I don't think it's fair to say the fans led Tan down the rebrand path. That was a path very much of his own making. Of course, there were those nauseating individuals who started grovelling at his feet when he threatened to reduce his promised funding, but that was all a bluff anyway. He'd already decided the club was going to be rebranded and that was the end of that.

Tan was very definitely misadvised, but not in the way you seem to believe. When he introduced his rebranding ideas he was told by various club officials that the opposition from the fans would be fierce and strong. As it turned out, all of those involved were surprised by how meek and mild the response from the fanbase was and how few supporters took a genuine stand against the rebrand. Indeed, the number of fans who requested refunds on their season tickets was so small that the CEO was able to find time to contact most of them personally in an attempt to get them to change their minds.
    Good points well made. Still sickens me, but I'm over it now. Too old to be bitter 👊 Hope you're good mate

You might as well ask me what my opinion of Vincent Tan would be if he was somebody entirely different who behaved entirely differently. Utterly pointless question, really. However, if you want to assess things from a football perspective while taking nothing else into consideration, the truth is the club is no further forward now that it was when Tan took control.
    Bollocks. The club was in serious threat of going into administration before Tan got involved.

In terms of league position it may be no better off but at least he’s not stealing future season ticket money under pretence of making new signings.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Bollocks. The club was in serious threat of going into administration before Tan got involved.

In terms of league position it may be no better off but at least he’s not stealing future season ticket money under pretence of making new signings.

I don't really have a strong opinion on Vincent Tan but I think people are trying to be too black and white with him, he did one ridiculous thing but that doesn't make him a terrible person.

Sam Hammam and Ridsdale did just as bad for the club but it just wasn't as visible as changing the shirt colours were.

And just because Tan did that one bad thing it doesn't mean there's no coming back from it unless that person wants to hold a grudge forever.

I wasn’t looking for your opinion on him as a person, that’s why i said his tenure.

When you read all that, and realise the vast amount of his wealth and business interests, Cardiff City must be like a box of monopoly to him. Hidden away, and brought out to play with every now and then. 😂

Does anyone remember when a group of fans dressed up in Malaysian costumes and flags to persuade Vincent Tan to stay after the initial objection to the rebrand

They were in their fifties

It was like something out of a pantomime

I thought it was so cringeworthy it had me in stitches

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Does anyone remember when a group of fans dressed up in Malaysian costumes and flags to persuade Vincent Tan to stay after the initial objection to the rebrand

Big Gwyn dressed his dog up in a red shirt I seem to recall. Now that was ****ing cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

See it as educational, It would have been the nearest any of them had ever got to a geography lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Big Gwyn dressed his dog up in a red shirt I seem to recall. Now that was ****ing cringeworthy.
    I remember seeing a photo of about 30 blokes dressed up like something out of alladin on the front of the western mail

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    See it as educational, It would have been the nearest any of them had ever got to a geography lesson.
    Chinese, Japanese, they all look the same innit

Didn’t the guy who had the other messageboard turn up to Coventry away with a Thailand flag?