+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Re: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Hats off to him.
    God willing.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    But you don't need an analogy to explain it, it was fairly simple.
    I agree with Blue Genie. In 50 years if he's remembered for anything, it'll be for turning us red. Managers might be remembered for promotions or players, but not owners.
    The reason I used that analogy was not as a tool to emphasise or clarify the point I was trying to make. At the time, like many others I was disappointed when the re-brand was announced I but I read the analogy somewhere and it just resonated with me. It helped me put things into perspective after the turmoil the club had gone through prior to VT's arrival, a time when the club's very existence was threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Are you taking the piss?
    😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was it a coincidence that the change back to blue was announced after a crowd of just 4,194 for an FA Cup tie with Colchester?
    No it wasn’t, I have it from a reliable sauCe tHat the change back to blue was decided after the season had started

He's just a twat with deep pockets. Nothing he has done at Cardiff City has made any sense fiscally. If he's a billionaire he could give half his wealth away now and oversee a foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's just a twat with deep pockets. Nothing he has done at Cardiff City has made any sense fiscally. If he's a billionaire he could give half his wealth away now and oversee a foundation.
    Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Are you taking the piss?
    So it wasn’t action by the fans that reversed the rebrand? Or do you reckon Tan really did act on his mother's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was it a coincidence that the change back to blue was announced after a crowd of just 4,194 for an FA Cup tie with Colchester?
    If it was because of that attendance it would point to the (lack of) fans and discontent that swayed him.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    So it wasn’t action by the fans that reversed the rebrand? Or do you reckon Tan really did act on his mother's advice.
    It was, although i'd say that most of the fans who really took up the protest were against the rebrand from the start. Plenty, in fact the large majority accepted it, albeit reluctantly, whatever that means. One person who posts on here went on TV sanctioning it, with the bloke who compared it to Treats and M and M's, whatever happened to him?

I'm pretty certain that if the club had established itself in the Premier league and 30,000 crowds were a fortnightly occurence, then we'd still be in red. The shit football under Slade and the dwindling crowds certainly helped persuade Tan on putting us back into our rightful colours.

If it was because of that attendance it would point to the (lack of) fans and discontent that swayed him.
    Nah, the lack of fans was because we were shit and it was an FA cup match against Colchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It was, although i'd say that most of the fans who really took up the protest were against the rebrand from the start. Plenty, in fact the large majority accepted it, albeit reluctantly, whatever that means. One person who posts on here went on TV sanctioning it, with the bloke who compared it to Treats and M and M's, whatever happened to him?

I'm pretty certain that if the club had established itself in the Premier league and 30,000 crowds were a fortnightly occurence, then we'd still be in red. The shit football under Slade and the dwindling crowds certainly helped persuade Tan on putting us back into our rightful colours.
    Yes, that's much more in line with my recollection of what happened. Who can forget Red Scarf Night?

Anyway, time moves on......

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Dup

That's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    That's how I remember it.
    Cos that's how it happened Tan threatened fans over the blue, basically, stay in Blue, no cash, play in red, thousands of shirt sales in Malaysia and cash for the Prem. To be fair to Tan, he was true to his words, or threat, however people see it. I think it was the grovelling letters that some of our 'super fans' sent to Tan that saved the day. Have a read of them if you already haven't, begging letters to a lottery winner.

We weren’t going to establish ourselves in the Premier League though and it was realised that the hangers on would drift away diluting the thousands who didn’t give a shite about what colour we played in, leaving the back to blue crowd in the majority, a majority that ensured a return to the colour. Ironically the club’s mishandling of our initial Premier League stint led to the eventual return to blue, the ones that only craved success disappeared until the next false dawn leaving the remaining core support to stir the shit, and it worked. As some have said, it’s in the past now and will always be an interesting, if sad, footnote in our history. But, what’s also sad is that some ex fans (who, in my opinion still care deeply about the club, because it’s bloody hard not to for them) won’t return to the fold and support 100%, they still, again in my opinion, hold a grudge which is quite unhealthy and not good for the mind.

We weren’t going to establish ourselves in the Premier League though and it was realised that the hangers on would drift away diluting the thousands who didn’t give a shite about what colour we played in, leaving the back to blue crowd in the majority, a majority that ensured a return to the colour. Ironically the club’s mishandling of our initial Premier League stint led to the eventual return to blue, the ones that only craved success disappeared until the next false dawn leaving the remaining core support to stir the shit, and it worked. As some have said, it’s in the past now and will always be an interesting, if sad, footnote in our history. But, what’s also sad is that some ex fans (who, in my opinion still care deeply about the club, because it’s bloody hard not to for them) won’t return to the fold and support 100%, they still, again in my opinion, hold a grudge which is quite unhealthy and not good for the mind.
    Yup, there were fans who wanted to go back to blue, but i'm not sure how vocal they were initially, those that still went to watch games. I suppose it was difficult for them, as there would've been a sizeable amount of support who didn't give a shit either way, and an element who were for the rebrand. Poor form, the debacle with Malky and that other bloke who were found to have sent racist text messages, Ole ****ing up, relegation, and general Slade, all helped in Tan reconsidering, and i'm sure it helped in swaying some fans to become more vocal, why not if hardly anything was gained from it all, we'd re assumed our previous position or lower, with inferior players. A good time to be vocal and critical, and much easier to protest when the team is struggling and there is no incentive (anymore) to play in red.

As for the fans that walked. Well, i stayed away, but returned when my son went mad for the club, although he hated red. We actually went back under Slade, or he sort of dragged me along. I'm very pleased that he did. Others who haven't returned were probably more hurt by the reaction of our support than that of Tan, although i can't speak for them. The one thing that i learnt from the whole shit show is that we may all support the same team, but our morals, ethics and perceptions are different towards the club and what we find important. That sounds a bit stupid now, why wouldn't they be? I think that i went through my CCFC supporting life thinking that when it came to the club, we all thought and wanted the same thing. How stupid and naive i was.

Wonderful gesture from a man whose been there for us when others have wavered

Yup, there were fans who wanted to go back to blue, but i'm not sure how vocal they were initially, those that still went to watch games. I suppose it was difficult for them, as there would've been a sizeable amount of support who didn't give a shit either way, and an element who were for the rebrand. Poor form, the debacle with Malky and that other bloke who were found to have sent racist text messages, Ole ****ing up, relegation, and general Slade, all helped in Tan reconsidering, and i'm sure it helped in swaying some fans to become more vocal, why not if hardly anything was gained from it all, we'd re assumed our previous position or lower, with inferior players. A good time to be vocal and critical, and much easier to protest when the team is struggling and there is no incentive (anymore) to play in red.

As for the fans that walked. Well, i stayed away, but returned when my son went mad for the club, although he hated red. We actually went back under Slade, or he sort of dragged me along. I'm very pleased that he did. Others who haven't returned were probably more hurt by the reaction of our support than that of Tan, although i can't speak for them. The one thing that i learnt from the whole shit show is that we may all support the same team, but our morals, ethics and perceptions are different towards the club and what we find important. That sounds a bit stupid now, why wouldn't they be? I think that i went through my CCFC supporting life thinking that when it came to the club, we all thought and wanted the same thing. How stupid and naive i was.
    That's it in a nutshell, especially the highlighted bit.

Sorry, I'll stop stalking you in this thread now.

I think if we never got relegated we'd still be in red even now.

I wasn't at all against the rebrand but I'm glad that it's now all done and dusted

Good owner, few mistakes could have been worse.

Glad to see that his wealth is going to good causes regardless

Why people dig up old ground is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    That's it in a nutshell, especially the highlighted bit.

Sorry, I'll stop stalking you in this thread now.
    Swiss, you can stalk me all you like I wish that you'd post a bit more often, always enjoy your stuff and the way you put it together

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think if we never got relegated we'd still be in red even now.

I wasn't at all against the rebrand but I'm glad that it's now all done and dusted

Good owner, few mistakes could have been worse.

Glad to see that his wealth is going to good causes regardless

Why people dig up old ground is beyond me
    Why not? It was a massive part of our past. We talk about beating rochdale in 1988 in front of 2000 fans, why not talk about something else that happened? It's gone, but i'm not going to keep quiet because it may cause a row on here. Just to add, i don't want to have a row with anyone over it. People did what they did, on all sides, as long as they're happy about it then fair enough.

Its his money and he can do what he likes with it. What right have you got to call a man you know very little, if anything, about a twat ? You sit behind your keyboard in your ivory tower across the water, anonymously hurling insults at him, presumably to feed your own ego and make yourself look big. Well it doesn't, it makes you look petty, childish and a bigger twat than you think he is.

Numbskull

International

Why not? It was a massive part of our past. We talk about beating rochdale in 1988 in front of 2000 fans, why not talk about something else that happened? It's gone, but i'm not going to keep quiet because it may cause a row on here. Just to add, i don't want to have a row with anyone over it. People did what they did, on all sides, as long as they're happy about it then fair enough.
    Yes you do!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yes you do!
    C'mon then.....

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its his money and he can do what he likes with it. What right have you got to call a man you know very little, if anything, about a twat ? You sit behind your keyboard in your ivory tower across the water, anonymously hurling insults at him, presumably to feed your own ego and make yourself look big. Well it doesn't, it makes you look petty, childish and a bigger twat than you think he is.
    Oh the irony.