+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great British Holiday

Re: The Great British Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    where down west are you mate , I rarely venture further than Tenby

Newquay is nice

Went water skiing down there once , managed to get up on the skis , saw a fin , thought it was a shark , shit myself and fell off
    He's loaded Sludge, lives in a lovely area as well, bang in the middle of Heath Park

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The sooner we can holiday abroad again the better.

Rather stay at home than holiday in the UK.
    I don't think we're going anywhere abroad for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Depends on what type of holiday you're after. If it's involving small kids and you're after some good weather for them to do the seaside thing, then forget it, unless you get really lucky. If you're travelling with another adult or adults, then walking, exploring an area is fantastic if you're into that kind of thing. The UK landscape and the history is fantastic, although if, like me, you've been bringing up kids for the last 26 years, then an 'adult' holiday is an alien concept. I can honestly say that i wouldn't know what to do if i had to spend a week or so with just my missus, without any kids, as all of our holidays have sort of been their holidays if you know what i mean.

Can't stand Caravans or caravan parks, they remind me of my time growing up on council estates with little privacy and i've stayed in so many caravans while digging it with work, the smell of them turns my stomach Plenty of British B and B's and small hotels are 'royston Vasey' weird little set ups, i'd rather stay in a Travelodge. The UK is expensive for what you're getting, i do like Northern Spain and the Basque region, it's not so hot and i like the food and Culture of the region, the people are lovely as well.
    Holidays for me were mumbles , when we lived in neath , so about 45 minutes drive at most , in a static caravan , the gower was for posh people

Devon , Minehead usually

Or over to Guernsey to see my mothers sister , odd people that lot

My mates who had more money than us were at the start of the UK package holiday boom and their parents would be taking them to Greece, Spain, Majorca , Crete , Portugal , Tenerife etc

But it was uk holidays for me and it kind of stuck

I can get to Tenby in an hour and a half , no passport , no poncing about with watches , arriving at airport 2 hours before flight

The weather is never a certainty of course but there you go

There is so much of Wales I have never seen without worrying about back packing around Austria

Rugged West Wales is just two hours away

Lovely beaches around Broad Haven , Newgale , etc

All you have to do is hold your nose as you drive past Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Depends on what type of holiday you're after. If it's involving small kids and you're after some good weather for them to do the seaside thing, then forget it, unless you get really lucky. If you're travelling with another adult or adults, then walking, exploring an area is fantastic if you're into that kind of thing. The UK landscape and the history is fantastic, although if, like me, you've been bringing up kids for the last 26 years, then an 'adult' holiday is an alien concept. I can honestly say that i wouldn't know what to do if i had to spend a week or so with just my missus, without any kids, as all of our holidays have sort of been their holidays if you know what i mean.

Can't stand Caravans or caravan parks, they remind me of my time growing up on council estates with little privacy and i've stayed in so many caravans while digging it with work, the smell of them turns my stomach Plenty of British B and B's and small hotels are 'royston Vasey' weird little set ups, i'd rather stay in a Travelodge. The UK is expensive for what you're getting, i do like Northern Spain and the Basque region, it's not so hot and i like the food and Culture of the region, the people are lovely as well.
    I had never stayed on campsites before last year. I bought a modest campervan to use when walking the South West Coast Path and the sites I stayed at were very civilised, I have to say. As my trips involve 5 friends joining me for each weekend concerned I have looked into alternative accommodation but a room at a Travelodge in Devon can exceed £100 a night in the coming months.

I love a caravan holiday down West Wales in the drizzle - really enjoy every time I go

But when a trip to Centreparks costs more than a week in an all inclusive in Spain I think **** that.

If the option to go abroad isn't there I'll probably give a holiday a miss altogether this year.
    If everyone is holidaying in the UK then prices will shoot up. I'd rather save the money and go when it is better value

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If the option to go abroad isn't there I'll probably give a holiday a miss altogether this year.
    If everyone is holidaying in the UK then prices will shoot up. I'd rather save the money and go when it is better value
    But a year of your life will have slipped away.....

Considering how often me and the missus usually go abroad, I haven't missed it too much over the last 12 months. I've missed seeing the grandchildren far more.

My missus has severe arthritis and the dry heat you get on the continent is so beneficial for her well being. Cardiff has a damp, maritime climate which is particularly bad for arthritis sufferers so it's holidays abroad for us, although if had to have a week away in this country, it would be Cornwall every time.

Booked 2 holidays this year. A week in Cornwall in June which will probably happen and a fortnight in Zante in August which probably will not. Need some meals out, preferably in the sun!

Is that your home town ?

Went to Newcastle Emlyn many years ago , went into a pub and there were two cardiff city framed replica shirts on the wall

I felt a sense of belonging
    No Swansea.I got two holiday homes on wheels up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    But a year of your life will have slipped away.....
    the year of my life will still occur whether or not I have an overpriced holiday in the uk

Holidaying in the UK has got too expensive, looking at some options recently and the prices are way too much for what you get, not just this year either. Massive problem is our climate too, so many shite days that you’re often indoors spending whereas the guaranteed weather abroad allows you to be outdoors constantly, whether strolling about, sun bathing, whatever. We found this out years ago, our lot used to have a Blackpool blow out 2nd weekend of October for over 20 years but Blackpool got greedy and expected everyone to turn up regardless, the cost became ridiculous. We swapped to Benidorm, same time of year but for a week rather than the Blackpool Fri-Mon for less. Weather was still lovely so we spent less on the piss in the day and had a ball every night. UK establishments will see this ‘holiday at home’ thing as a means to squeeze every drop out of the holidaymaker, those rainy days in cafes & (if they’re open) pubs will have people pining to get on a plane again.

I had never stayed on campsites before last year. I bought a modest campervan to use when walking the South West Coast Path and the sites I stayed at were very civilised, I have to say. As my trips involve 5 friends joining me for each weekend concerned I have looked into alternative accommodation but a room at a Travelodge in Devon can exceed £100 a night in the coming months.
    Some of the more 'real' campsites are really nice and well maintained. I think that there are plenty of like minded people that use them and dare i say it, punters who take their holidays quite seriously, in terms of preparation and what they expect out of a campsite. They're not usually mugs. Have you considered travelling into europe in your Van? Some of the french and Spanish sites are incredible, they cater for every type of person, and they're spotless. I've driven down to southern france and spain about 6 times and camped at independent campsites. Fantastic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the year of my life will still occur whether or not I have an overpriced holiday in the uk
    God willing.

where down west are you mate , I rarely venture further than Tenby

Newquay is nice

Went water skiing down there once , managed to get up on the skis , saw a fin , thought it was a shark , shit myself and fell off
    Little/broad haven....it’s really quiet despite Mark Drakeford saying it will be busy. It won’t get busy until the English are allowed here in the 12th April.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    No Swansea.I got two holiday homes on wheels up there.
    do you read tea leaves ?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Holidaying in the UK has got too expensive, looking at some options recently and the prices are way too much for what you get, not just this year either. Massive problem is our climate too, so many shite days that you’re often indoors spending whereas the guaranteed weather abroad allows you to be outdoors constantly, whether strolling about, sun bathing, whatever. We found this out years ago, our lot used to have a Blackpool blow out 2nd weekend of October for over 20 years but Blackpool got greedy and expected everyone to turn up regardless, the cost became ridiculous. We swapped to Benidorm, same time of year but for a week rather than the Blackpool Fri-Mon for less. Weather was still lovely so we spent less on the piss in the day and had a ball every night. UK establishments will see this ‘holiday at home’ thing as a means to squeeze every drop out of the holidaymaker, those rainy days in cafes & (if they’re open) pubs will have people pining to get on a plane again.
    A mate of mine normally goes to centerparcs every year, says it’s about 750 for 3/4 nights, they wanted 2500 grand for the same trip this August he says, so typical of Britain, whilst they are here, let’s rip them off to buggery.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Little/broad haven....it’s really quiet despite Mark Drakeford saying it will be busy. It won’t get busy until the English are allowed here in the 12th April.
    Nice

I like Newgale with a breeze on a sunny day

Tenby, static caravan

Bit pricey

But in the days of my partying , all day on the beach , back to the campsite for a barb b que or into Tenby town , full of hen nights

Then off to the night owl 🦉 club or sands in Saundersfoot

Wet t shirt competitions

Great family holidays

Then just an hour and a half to get home

No messing about

Bluebirds

do you read tea leaves ?
    Being a tea leaf is were i got my wealth.

Tenby, static caravan

Bit pricey

But in the days of my partying , all day on the beach , back to the campsite for a barb b que or into Tenby town , full of hen nights

Then off to the night owl �� club or sands in Saundersfoot

Wet t shirt competitions

Great family holidays

Then just an hour and a half to get home

No messing about

Bluebirds
    Does you hair stand on end in a static caravan?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Being a tea leaf is were i got my wealth.
    West is Pest

Does you hair stand on end in a static caravan?
    It does when I plug in my amp and ibanez

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    A mate of mine normally goes to centerparcs every year, says it’s about 750 for 3/4 nights, they wanted 2500 grand for the same trip this August he says, so typical of Britain, whilst they are here, let’s rip them off to buggery.....
    we have been to CP's a fair few times, only ever paid full price 3 times, once we shared a 4 bed unit with our next door neighbours ( they have since moved to cornwall ) so we split the cost

All the other times we have paid £ 100 - £ 150 for the midweek / weekend, my wife has a friend who was head of housekeeping and used to get " staff discount rooms " ( they keep a few empty units incase guests have issues with the units they are in, then after every one has checked in, they put them on the staff notice board , downside is you dont know till the monday / friday evening, you have to accept you might need to move out as short notice, we have stayed many times and never had to move out, its a trade-off for the £100 - £150 quid ) the one at Longleat is fairly close to us, so it worked well

Selfishly she has retired now

too hot for me

If there's one thing you have got mate , its god like status
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    No chance.

High 30's or 40's for me. Just crashed out like a Richmond sausage sizzling away.

It's probably why I'm a bronzed God.
    I once asked a shipmate who was very fond of the sun, what the attraction of a suntan was. He thought about it, took an enormous drag on his cigarette and said 'You have to admit, it does make you look healthy'. In all fairness, he was from Hull, and many of the people I've met from there, lend weight to the proverb 'Empty vessels make the most noise'.