+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England U-21s “utterly impossible”

England U-21s “utterly impossible”

Wouldn’t this be the case for any Under-21s manager?

England Under-21 manager Aidy Boothroyd believes it is not possible to succeed in the role, as his side face a second successive group-stage exit from the European Championship.

Defeats against Switzerland and Portugal mean England must beat Croatia to have any chance of reaching this summer's quarter-finals.

"The England senior men's job was called the impossible job," he said.

"The England U21 team is the utterly impossible job."

Boothroyd, who led the under-21s to the last four in 2017, said the way the England international set-up is structured limits the chances of the U21s winning tournaments.

"It's not possible to win at all levels," said Boothroyd.

"Part of the reason we haven't won this for 37 years is [that the under-21s' role is] to get players to the first team."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56583091

Re: England U-21s “utterly impossible”

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Wouldn’t this be the case for any Under-21s manager?

England Under-21 manager Aidy Boothroyd believes it is not possible to succeed in the role, as his side face a second successive group-stage exit from the European Championship.

Defeats against Switzerland and Portugal mean England must beat Croatia to have any chance of reaching this summer's quarter-finals.

"The England senior men's job was called the impossible job," he said.

"The England U21 team is the utterly impossible job."

Boothroyd, who led the under-21s to the last four in 2017, said the way the England international set-up is structured limits the chances of the U21s winning tournaments.

"It's not possible to win at all levels," said Boothroyd.

"Part of the reason we haven't won this for 37 years is [that the under-21s' role is] to get players to the first team."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56583091
    I can understand that in a way. If it is more important to progress players into the senior squads than do well at U21 level then you might pick all the players who have the potential to go to the top, rather than the hysically strongest players for example who might have a better chance of winning the U21s.

But Boothroyd has hugely underperformed in that role for years. The pool of talent he has to pick from is ridiculous - even if you account for the fact that many of the senior squad are still qualified for the U21s

Looking at their starting 11 they have plenty of good players available and it does seem a bit of an excuse.

But I do agree with this:

"You shouldn't be working in youth development if you think your job is to win every game and not produce players for the senior team.
    Does it really matter how well the U21s are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can understand that in a way. If it is more important to progress players into the senior squads than do well at U21 level then you might pick all the players who have the potential to go to the top, rather than the hysically strongest players for example who might have a better chance of winning the U21s.

But Boothroyd has hugely underperformed in that role for years. The pool of talent he has to pick from is ridiculous - even if you account for the fact that many of the senior squad are still qualified for the U21s
    They started their last game with a midfield 3 of; Tom Davies, Oliver Skipp and Emile Smith Rowe. All play regularly for good premier league teams. I suppose there is a chance of the team changing quickly but it isn't like they don't have the players.

I never really rated boothroyd when he was managing in the championship.

Whilst I can understand putting players together to follow the same style as England national team. These players should be dynamic enough to be able to adapt.

The players development takes place week in week out with their clubs in training not for a few weeks when with International team.

Boothroyd is looking out for himself as has underachiever. His job is to get results.