Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
I was 9 years old in 1966, and I have just one memory of that tournament: My dad, falling to his knees with his head in his hands when Germany equalized in the dying moments. I think I was more into Crackerjack at that stage of life, laughing at Peter Glaze's inability to get out of the way of a squirty flower.
My dad has always derided English football, especially when compared to football played by the 'continentals', as he called them. Inevitably as a young kid, I became heavily influenced by his views but I could see what he meant regarding ball control and movement. In 1966 I worshipped two players in particular, Eusebio and Beckenbauer. Pele was being kicked to death so it was difficult to pass judgment on him.

On to the final, I was jumping for joy when West Germany equalised to send the game into extra time and rather disappointed at the final result.

In 1970, I was obsessed with the Brazilians and every one of their games I looked forward to with eager anticipation and they never let me down. For me, the 1970 England team was, even to this day, their finest ever, and were very unlucky not to go further in the competition.

Fast forward to today and while I see an improvement in England's technical ability, there is still something missing in their game that will stop them claiming the game's very top prizes. At times England's passing looks stilted and predictable and not good enough to worry the very best teams in the world.