Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are Germanic languages, as is English.
All those countries speak 'minor languages' and it is recognised by the educational system that they need to learn a 'world language' to get by - and English fits that bill in current times.
They all watch English language TV series and films in English but with sub-titles (unlike Germans whose programmes/films are usually dubbed)
English is considered 'cool'.

However, I will take my cue from anyone on here who knows more about the subject than I do and/or who has lived in Scandinavia. (I have only lived on the German/Dutch border).
I also think a lot of influence comes from if their TV shows and filmed are dubbed or subtitled. You find countries that have subtitles with the original english dialogue often have a better grasp of the language and accents. sorry just saw you mentioned this!

Also since learning foreign languages and living abroad it really increased my interest in how language works and things I would find annoying before I actually accept is just language evolving.

You also find the things that annoy us are often the "correct" or original way of saying things. Season and series as used by Americans is exactly how it is in french too (Season to mean the 1st or second season and series to mean the tv show itself)