+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather Wales win the World Cup or City win the Champion's League

Re: Would you rather Wales win the World Cup or City win the Champion's League

Its correct to win the Champions League you have to spend money

Wales to have a competitive squad need players who are not Welsh.

Im not knocking either by the way.

Wales for sure.

You can buy your to Champions League glory if you throw enough cash at it.

Wales winning the World Cup, thrown together with whatever that particular generation of players had to offer, would be a huge achievement.

The way the Champions League is being re-organised will practically make it impossible for clubs like us to ever be involved.

Liverpool could finish 7th or 8th this season but still be in it next year because of previous performances.

International football seems more of a level playing field these days, if only slightly.

"Liverpool could finish 7th or 8th this season but still be in it next year because of previous performances."

Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    "Liverpool could finish 7th or 8th this season but still be in it next year because of previous performances."

Is this true?
    Only if they win this years Champions League.

I'd happily let Wales lose every single game for the rest of time (at every sport) if it meant City won the champions league.

Is this true?
    Under the new system, proposed by Edwin Van Der Sar, clubs who finish outside the national league qualification (top 4) but have the highest co-efficient will take one of two wild card places in the Champions league. I think that's the jist anyway.

It is part of the Champions League expansion, there is the possibility of the League Cup being scrapped as a result.

It doesn't get any bigger than the World Cup. I'd even take winning the Euro's over the Champions League.

Ask the players which one they'd prefer and I bet they'd all say the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    Under the new system, proposed by Edwin Van Der Sar, clubs who finish outside the national league qualification (top 4) but have the highest co-efficient will take one of two wild card places in the Champions league. I think that's the jist anyway.

It is part of the Champions League expansion, there is the possibility of the League Cup being scrapped as a result.
    Doesn't sound like it's going to help Liverpool next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post

The League Cup needs to become the EFL Cup.

Weird, I edited my post and it doubled up...

Heart and mind dilemma here. Heart says City as I would be walking on air for months.
    Mind says World cup for the good it would do for the whole country and would knock rugger off the front pages for a long time.

Who would be getting the highest coefficient spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Who would be getting the highest coefficient spots?

I don't know but it won't be in place for 21/22 qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    It doesn't get any bigger than the World Cup. I'd even take winning the Euro's over the Champions League.

Ask the players which one they'd prefer and I bet they'd all say the World Cup.
    Ask all the players who play for Cardiff, to choose between City and Wales and at most 6 out of 40 would choose Wales.

Wales World Cup for me. I'd hate City to become a mega club throwing billions around which is the only way to win the Champions League

As lardy points out, the World Cup is timeless, England still bang on about 1966 but nobody really cares that Forest & Villa were European champions

Wales without doubt, although there’s more chance of the City option happening. Once upon a time it may have been City but I’ve lost interest in the Champions League in recent years . I don’t think that will ever happen with the World Cup

City by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Wales World Cup for me. I'd hate City to become a mega club throwing billions around which is the only way to win the Champions League

As lardy points out, the World Cup is timeless, England still bang on about 1966 but nobody really cares that Forest & Villa were European champions
    Forest and Villa fans do.

A lot of other fans would disagree about Forest. Incredible achievement by them and Clough and Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Forest and Villa fans do.

A lot of other fans would disagree about Forest. Incredible achievement by them and Clough and Taylor.
    A big deal to them, but no one else.

If Wales won the world cup, it would be mentioned during the opponent's build up for every match for years.

City by a gnats whisker.

A big deal to them, but no one else.

If Wales won the world cup, it would be mentioned during the opponent's build up for every match for years.
    The English rarely mention 1966

Easy for me City winning anything above Wales.

Is this true?
    Proposals are in hand to alter qualification, so those clubs with 'history' will qualify ahead of those without. In theory, Liverpool could finish 7th, and still qualify ahead of, say, Leicester, who win the Premier. In other words, they're pulling up the drawbridge. There is so much money invested in the big clubs, they can't afford to miss out on the Champions League beanfeast, simply because they didn't finish in the top six.

As much as I adore the city, nothing would beat wales winning the World Cup. Just imagine lifting that trophy.

Both. I know it’s not the question but let’s face it, the question is a little hypothetical and also encourages fans to have to choose between club and country which is counterproductive.

Champions leagues.

As soon as we made an english man our captain I thought what's the point. Thankfully Giggs has restored some pride.
    Plus imagine all the rugby chavs who don't care for spot but want to get drunk supporting them, awful.