+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes Cymru

Yes Cymru

I can't see how an independent Wales would be able to finance itself, I'd also be concerned about being ruled by a Welsh-speaking Crachach cabal. I'm interested in people's views......

International

Re: Yes Cymru

If they are a totally Welsh organisation I just wonder why they use english in their title.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I can't see how an independent Wales would be able to finance itself, I'd also be concerned about being ruled by a Welsh-speaking Crachach cabal. I'm interested in people's views......
    Have you read any of the information on the Yes Cyrmu website, for example https://www.yes.cymru/booklet-5?
    As it is now, we would 'ruled' (I prefer governed) by the people we elect. Being independent doesn't mean " being ruled by a Welsh-speaking Crachach cabal."

Come the revolution you’ll all be driving around in a Porche
    I don't like Porche’s. Come the revolution, you’ll drive what your told!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Come the revolution you’ll all be driving around in a Porche
    I don't like Porche’s. Come the revolution, you’ll drive what your told!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Have you read any of the information on the Yes Cyrmu website, for example https://www.yes.cymru/booklet-5?
    As it is now, we would 'ruled' (I prefer governed) by the people we elect. Being independent doesn't mean " being ruled by a Welsh-speaking Crachach cabal."
    Yes, one-eyed at best

Not this again

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If they are a totally Welsh organisation I just wonder why they use english in their title.
    Maybe because there are multiple languages in Wales so why alienate anyone by just having it named in Welsh.

All their literature is available in both English and Welsh.

If it gains support for Welsh independence they can call themselves whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

The dragon has two tongues. It's a campaign to get people talking about what independence could be, and heck a lot of work to do before it's realistic possibility..but we'd be better off it it was possible and declined because we love the UK rather than because being part of the UK (at least in current set up) apparently makes us too weak to leave.

it wouldn't be able to fund itself

In South wales we have more in common with the west country than we do with Llanidloes or Llangollen

Our trade and transport is along the M4 , Paddington route

Its quicker to get to Nottingham than it is to get to Bangor

A plane service from Cardiff to the North was hardly ever used , except by politicians

In most of North Wales they look toward the urban centres of Liverpool and Manchester , not Cardiff

We have the joy of watching Wales beat Belgium in euro 2016 but economically and socially we are miles apart , quite literally

Seems that anything the senedd actually has control over; education, health etc lags behind England, often dropping further since they got any control.

As a proud Welshman I want a separate country but it seems unrealistic. I have read the yes cymru stuff and it all just seems a bit like brexit over again. Lots of vague facts about how we will be better under self rule but very little substance besides maybe we could sell our water and electricity to England. That will pay for it all..

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

In South wales we have more in common with the west country than we do with Llanidloes or Llangollen

A plane service from Cardiff to the North was hardly ever used , except by politicians

In most of North Wales they look toward the urban centres of Liverpool and Manchester , not Cardiff

We have the joy of watching Wales beat Belgium in euro 2016 but economically and socially we are miles apart , quite literally
    If what you say is true, and Wales couldn’t fund or support itself, then what a sad inditement that really is. It basically tells us that we aren’t part of the UK by choice any more, but by necessity, we may as well change our name to West England.

The vast majority of the population of Wales live in the urban centres of Newport, Cardiff and Swansea and the South Wales valleys

Thats where the industry is , where commerce is , when the transport links are , where the entertainment industry is based

Do people have any idea how much it would cost to build a motorway from merthyr up to caernarfon ?

If Wales wants to be a separate country then it needs to surely have decent transport links from the main area of population to the only other concentration of population .....the Wrexham, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, caernarfon , Bangor region

And even if billions is spent building this road its not like we are connecting cardiff to Birmingham, its cardiff to a small population

Who is going to use it ?

People in the North are still going to watch bands in Manchester or fly from Liverpool Airport

I am all for strength in language but Welsh independence in 2021 is potty

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If what you say is true, and Wales couldn’t fund or support itself, then what a sad inditement that really is. It basically tells us that we aren’t part of the UK by choice any more, but by necessity, we may as well change our name to West England.
    It is true

Its been that way since the industrial revolution and the coal , steel and Iron industries that brought loads of people from Somerset and the West Country to work in South Wales

Maybe because we've been ****ed over by Westminster for decades.

Huge metal & dogging community in Llangollen that would put Bridgend to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    well I am not going to disagree about that

But I believe a strong Wales within the UK is the best option given that independence is never going to happen

We can blame corbyn for us losing loads of seats to a party that is opposed to Wales being anything other than a shiny shoe boy

well I am not going to disagree about that

But I believe a strong Wales within the UK is the best option given that independence is never going to happen

We can blame corbyn for us losing loads of seats to a party that is opposed to Wales being anything other than a shiny shoe boy
    I don't blame Corbyn.

People should have seen through the bullshit peddled about him.

It is true

Its been that way since the industrial revolution and the coal , steel and Iron industries that brought loads of people from Somerset and the West Country to work in South Wales
    I have seen costings that suggest Wales can pay for itself, which seemed entirely reasonable.

We sit here thinking - oh poor Wales, cant afford to be a proper country - yet why is that still the case, after x hundred years of control by England, why are we still the poorest part of the UK? because we are continually neglected, and there is no reason to imagine that is going to change any time soon.

100 years ago Ireland was becoming independent. It was the poorest part of the UK, only really did trade with the UK. and had a really weak economy.

100 years later and they have fared a lot better on their own than they would have within the UK. If they can do it then why can't we?

There are plenty of countries in Europe that would have a lower GDP than a separate Wales. Croatia for example - they manage to be a functioning country don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I think you will find that, give it another year or two and the Welsh economy will be in ruins because of the inability of the current Sennedd to persuade manufacturing or businesses to relocate to Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I think you will find that, give it another year or two and the Welsh economy will be in ruins because of the inability of the current Sennedd to persuade manufacturing or businesses to relocate to Wales.
    I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have seen costings that suggest Wales can pay for itself, which seemed entirely reasonable.

We sit here thinking - oh poor Wales, cant afford to be a proper country - yet why is that still the case, after x hundred years of control by England, why are we still the poorest part of the UK? because we are continually neglected, and there is no reason to imagine that is going to change any time soon.

100 years ago Ireland was becoming independent. It was the poorest part of the UK, only really did trade with the UK. and had a really weak economy.

100 years later and they have fared a lot better on their own than they would have within the UK. If they can do it then why can't we?

There are plenty of countries in Europe that would have a lower GDP than a separate Wales. Croatia for example - they manage to be a functioning country don't they?
    Any costings are fanciful at best and as for the Irish argument the place was a wasteland until they joined the EU.And the poor bastards will feel the effect of brexit just like us but at least we voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Any costings are fanciful at best and as for the Irish argument the place was a wasteland until they joined the EU.And the poor bastards will feel the effect of brexit just like us but at least we voted for it.
    strange that you dismiss any costings as fanciful when I haven't even provided the link yet? because they don't conform to you preconceived ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    strange that you dismiss any costings as fanciful when I haven't even provided the link yet? because they don't conform to you preconceived ideas?
    Have you got anything to read on costings? Genuine interest

My feelings on the Scottish thread is that Wales would get squeezed to an inch of its life by England if independent.

The topography alone inhibits so much natural investment. Why on earth do we think companies would want to go to the top of the valleys

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Have you got anything to read on costings? Genuine interest

My feelings on the Scottish thread is that Wales would get squeezed to an inch of its life by England if independent.

The topography alone inhibits so much natural investment. Why on earth do we think companies would want to go to the top of the valleys
    There's quite lot of stuff out there, but this is interesting . Pretty even handed I'd say:

The same group have written a number of papers on the topic over the years.

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/ass...ture_FINAL.pdf

It does highlight that there will be big challenges, but there are also ways to overcome them . Staying in a union that is only interested in investing in the south east of England is also a risk as highlighted in the report.

And at last it shows that all the talk of becoming a 3rd world country within a few years is really without foundation.