+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whats your favourite European country ?

Re: whats your favourite European country ?

Haven't travelled as extensively as I'd have liked. However, of the places I have been I love the Greek islands and also the Netherlands. One thing that impresses me with many places in Europe though, is how much the younger generations embrace their local cultures and traditions, which seems to miss many of similar ages in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Having visited every single one of them I would say:
    Slovenia: it was an undiscovered gem when I visited the place about 20 years ago.
    Romania: as above
    Italy: oozes history, character and atmosphere.
    Spain: I avoided the place for many years after images in my head of the tourist resorts. Great country, especially Andalucia.
    Iceland: magical
    Holland: the people. It's like home.
    Germany: Lived there and became hooked on the people (straight as a dye), culture and language.
    San Marino: very chocolate box.
    Austria/Switzerland: stunning scenery
    France: a delight on the eye.

Weirdest European countries visited:
    The eastern strip of Moldova which is still under the control of Russia. Very eerie.
    Northern Macedonia: very poor bit with a regime that pumps money into very vulgar and ostentatious statues in the centre of the capital city.
    Azerbaijan: oil money seems to have trickled down to a very small minority and the rest of the population seemed very poor.
    Albania: I went there when it first opened up and there was nothing to buy. There were hardly any vehicles on the road and some of them I saw had replacement side windows made from plywood! It was not uncommon to see ground floor flats surrounded by pigs.

Surprises:
    Odessa in The Ukraine: almost Parisian in nature.
    Minsk, Belarus: incredibly sophisticated despite being ruled by a despot
    Bosnia: a beautiful, non-functional* country. (*Still beset with profound factionalism)
    I enjoyed that summary Taunton. I've visited many in the list.

I agree... Slovenia is a super place. Lake Bled.. just beautiful.

The organisation I work for have a large presence in Romania (we helped the government set up their child protection systems and close the orphanages that Ceaușescu established)... Some real gems in Romania. Bucharest is fascinating. I ran around the city in 2019 doing the marathon.

Another secret from Europe if you're a wine lover . Moldovan wine... Just unbelievable and one of the best kept secrets.

Other notable mentions... Czech Republic.. amazing places there and also the literature is sublime. Prague is great but so many other gems outside the capital.

Croatia.. of course Dubrovnik but also some of the northern parts.. Rovinj has very special memories for me - stayed on Sveti Andrija a few times.

Agree about Austria, Switzerland, France and San Marino.

Germany is also stunning and Berlin is everything and more.. I was only there for a short time for a conference a few years back but for the few days I was there I loved it.

Bologna in Italy is a lovely city and I could slip right into the lifestyle quite easily!

The Greek islands are also lovely although of course the problem with some of the holiday destinations is the tourists. Philistines 🤣

I also loved Malta. I went out of season.. November 2018, still warm but quiet. Wonderful place. Rich in history and art and stunning beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Holland

I like its , shall we say , laid back vibe man

Amsterdam is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world due to its past trading links and the food is superb

Some bloody great pike , perch and zander fishing over there in the canals too

And its flat , going up and down mountains is a young man's game
    Italy. Too many reasons to list here ❤️

If I only get to choose 1 then Sweden.
    Honourable mentions Denmark, Portugal, Netherlands, Malta

Was due to go to Croatia this summer, only heard good reports

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Me too for Croatia. Did one of those small boat cruising holidays round the Islands amazing holiday.
    Please share more or send PM. Sounds like my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    This always amuses me. My sister has lived in Berlin since 1978 and now even carries German citizenship, but she would say the locals tend to be brusque, borderline rude. Fantastic city though, agreed.

As a German speaker I'm very comfortable in Germany, but favourite non-British places in Europe (as opposed to favourite countries which I know is the question - but much harder!) would be west coast of Ireland, north west coast of Portugal/Spain and
    - my favourite place of all - Corsica.
    Haha fair enough. The ones that I met in the local German bars were very welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Haha fair enough. The ones that I met in the local German bars were very welcoming.
    To be honest that's been broadly my experience there too. It's just when you live and work there your realise that there are just as many miserable bastards around as anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    To be honest that's been broadly my experience there too. It's just when you live and work there your realise that there are just as many miserable bastards around as anywhere else
    Haha without a shadow of a doubt.

Croatia- just beautiful.

Italy for me.
    So much old stuff
    So nice to see families at the local square of an evening just being together.
    For some reason life seems simpler when I'm there.