Thread: how we score

how we score

IMG_20210401_093012.jpg

most goals from corners in the league
    most goals from long throws in the league
    one of the highest in counter attacks.
    not bad from open play either

Re: how we score

I spent seasons frustrated by our long throws as they never seem to come to anything but now they seem to work really well. Now doubt having two giants and two others really good in the air is helping out by overloading the defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    I spent seasons frustrated by our long throws as they never seem to come to anything but now they seem to work really well. Now doubt having two giants and two others really good in the air is helping out by overloading the defence.
    We quite often seemed to have a half chance from the long throws, or at least won a ball in the box, it could just be natural variance that we've managed to score a few in a row now. i.e. we were due some!

One thing that stood out for me is how few direct free kicks have been scored in the division. I make it 13 in the whole division, with more than half the teams scoring none.
    Interestingly we've not scored that many indirect free kicks, a fairly average amount compared to the rest of the league - you'd think given we've scored so many more corners it would be similar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We quite often seemed to have a half chance from the long throws, or at least won a ball in the box, it could just be natural variance that we've managed to score a few in a row now. i.e. we were due some!

One thing that stood out for me is how few direct free kicks have been scored in the division. I make it 13 in the whole division, with more than half the teams scoring none.
    Interestingly we've not scored that many indirect free kicks, a fairly average amount compared to the rest of the league - you'd think given we've scored so many more corners it would be similar
    One thing I thought when we signed Harry Wilson was that he’d score a few free kicks this season, but he’s not got one yet and I can’t remember him even coming close from one.

On the subject of long throw ins, I’d say Vaulks is as good as anyone we’ve had at them, but I can only remember us scoring once with a direct header from one going all the way back to Bobby Woodruff in the late sixties. Any idea on who scored it off whose throw in?

Turns out we're pretty good going forward

The issue for us this season has been defensive, too many sloppy goals given away

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Turns out we're pretty good going forward

The issue for us this season has been defensive, too many sloppy goals given away
    I think that is also less of a problem now than it was earlier in the season.