+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Friday

Good Friday

Conversation in our house last night, “I’ll get fish for tea tomorrow, being Good Friday? (old Catholic habits die hard), oh and have you done your food for work tomorrow?”.......”Yep, I used that beef that was in the fridge”.

Re: Good Friday

I've got this vague memory that my grandparents (Catholic) had fish EVERY Friday. Does that ring any bells?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I've got this vague memory that my grandparents (Catholic) had fish EVERY Friday. Does that ring any bells?
    Yes that was definitely a thing to have fish every friday

That’s true, not just Good Friday, never had meat in our house on a Friday. Lucky to have it any other day mind

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

As a Catholic child Good Friday was tough. It was a Friday, no school but you had to be dressed smart for a grim afternoon in church with it all stripped down with no flowers or joy, priest wearing black cassocks and a silent packed church in mourning.

Then you had to go up to the front to kiss the feet of Jesus (covid rules won't allow that to happen today).

My grandparents (who we lived with) were traditional church goers and always had fish on Friday as well, usually with parsley sauce (yuck) and boiled potatoes.

I have some nice lightly dusted sole fillets from Waitrose for tea.

Married a catholic, l’m making a fish curry later.

We usually have fish on Friday. Def a tradition in her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Was? When did fish Friday stop, I didn’t get the memo ( neither did my hunter gatherer other half)

Met my missus on Good Friday 1996. Marrying her on Monday 25 years to the day we met. Stag nights in my back garden tonight and tomorrow night (rule of six)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Met my missus on Good Friday 1996. Marrying her on Monday 25 years to the day we met. Stag nights in my back garden tonight and tomorrow night (rule of six)
    I’d imagine more than six will be consumed, congratulations hope it works out as you get to know each other over time

Pearcey, have you thought it through? You don't have to 'rush in'

Yeah thanks boys. We have both been married before. I had always assumed that having been together for so long we would have the same rights as a married couple. Not so. So time to get hitched.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Pearcey, have you thought it through? You don't have to 'rush in'
    Good luck with the wedding Pearcey

Hope you are as happy as I thought I was going to be (32 years and counting)

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Conversation in our house last night, “I’ll get fish for tea tomorrow, being Good Friday? (old Catholic habits die hard), oh and have you done your food for work tomorrow?”.......”Yep, I used that beef that was in the fridge”.
    Was it just Catholic as we had fish every Friday as welland we were protestants but then we could tell what day it was by what mum cooked? 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Was it just Catholic as we had fish every Friday as welland we were protestants but then we could tell what day it was by what mum cooked? ��
    I could usually tell which day it was by what my mother cooked. An awful day most of the time, especially around about meal time.

I could usually tell which day it was by what my mother cooked. An awful day most of the time, especially around about meal time.
    Haha - in fairness to my mum she did the basic foods really well - stews, roasts etc and did a spotted dick to die for 👍😂

We laugh now at how bad a cook my mother was, she’d start boiling the cabbage on a Thursday for Sunday dinner. How she got the gravy the shade of grey that she did is one of life’s mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We laugh now at how bad a cook my mother was, she’d start boiling the cabbage on a Thursday for Sunday dinner. How she got the gravy the shade of grey that she did is one of life’s mysteries.
    my missus is the same. Boils veg until it turns to mash, and the meat has to be identified by it's dental records,

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Hope you are as happy as I thought I was going to be (32 years and counting)
    39 years in May for me

Hope it all turns out good,dont get too pissed

My mother is a massive Catholic

Shes been in a virtual good Friday mass all afternoon

But come 6 pm I have to go down the chippy and get her jumbo cod in batter and chips

Every Friday, as God says

She absolutely leathers it down

Its like watching a JCB

Why do they call it "good" Friday when it commemorates the alleged day of our alleged saviour's crucifixion?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Why do they call it "good" Friday when it commemorates the alleged day of our alleged saviour's crucifixion?
    Its cobblers isn't it

Last week my old dear was at mass for her normal Saturday

Then palm Sunday

Then yesterday for good Friday

And tomorrow for Easter Sunday

Her and her mates live their lives by this nonsense

I am all for faith giving people comfort but whats wrong with the odd day off for a joint , a few beers or a slayer gig

They are brainwashed

As she sits in front of the online mass she must have her book of responses , different every week to answer the priest

Its all nonsense as far as I am concerned but she was brought up a Catholic, brought her daughter up a Catholic, who brought her daughter up to be a Catholic

Me and the old man went fishing and down the city , much more fun