+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Some mind numbingly boring stats looking at City since 2003

Some mind numbingly boring stats looking at City since 2003

Since we won promotion via the playoffs in 2003 we've played 896 games in league and cup. We've won 353 of those, drawn 240 and lost 303. We've scored 1,174 goals and conceded 1,122. We've kept 261 clean sheets but failed to score in 250 games.

Our most common scoreline has been 1-1 (99 times), followed by 2-1 and 1-0 wins (89 times). Our most common defeat is 0-1 (79 times). We've had 79 goalless draws.

Our largest win and largest defeat are by the same scoreline - 6-0 (Bristol City away, Preston North End away).

We have won 52 games by 3 goals or more and lost 51 games by the same margin.

We have played 80 different sides in league and cup. We have played 64 different sides in the league.

We have faced Reading most often in all competitions (32 times). Our most common league opponents have been Derby County and Ipswich Town (30 times).

We have beaten Nottingham Forest most often (16 times), followed by Barnsley (15) and Bristol City/Leeds United (14). We have lost most often to Norwich and QPR (13) and Ipswich and Reading (12). We have more draws against Millwall than any other side, drawing 14 out of 20 fixtures!

It would probably come as no shock to know that we've scored more goals against Derby than any side since 2003, scoring 52 in 30 games. Next come Barnsley, Bristol City and Watford (40, 38, 36). Reading have scored more against us than anyone (48), with Watford and Ipswich bagging 41 against us.

In the league we have 100% home records against Doncaster and Gillingham. We have 100% away defeat records to Arsenal, Aston Villa, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton.

Re: Some mind numbingly boring stats looking at City since 2003

I enjoyed reading that, it wasn't boring at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Since we won promotion via the playoffs in 2003 we've played 896 games in league and cup. We've won 353 of those, drawn 240 and lost 303. We've scored 1,174 goals and conceded 1,122. We've kept 261 clean sheets but failed to score in 250 games.

Our most common scoreline has been 1-1 (99 times), followed by 2-1 and 1-0 wins (89 times). Our most common defeat is 0-1 (79 times). We've had 79 goalless draws.

Our largest win and largest defeat are by the same scoreline - 6-0 (Bristol City away, Preston North End away).

We have played 80 different sides in league and cup. We have played 64 different sides in the league.

We have faced Reading most often in all competitions (32 times). Our most common league opponents have been Derby County and Ipswich Town (30 times).

We have beaten Nottingham Forest most often (16 times), followed by Barnsley (15) and Bristol City/Leeds United (14). We have lost most often to Norwich and QPR (13) and Ipswich and Reading (12). We have more draws against Millwall than any other side, drawing 14 out of 20 fixtures!

It would probably come as no shock to know that we've scored more goals against Derby than any side since 2003, scoring 52 in 30 games. Next come Barnsley, Bristol City and Watford (40, 38, 36). Reading have scored more against us than anyone (48), with Watford and Ipswich bagging 41 against us.

In the league we have 100% home records against Doncaster and Gillingham. We have 100% away defeat records to Arsenal, Aston Villa, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton.
    How the hell you find the time.😀
    Thanks all the same. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I enjoyed reading that, it wasn't boring at all.
    Me too.

Sorry to land something on you that would require a lot more work from you I would guess Eric, but our games against Brentford since they returned to the second tier in 13/14 are worth noting.

There have been forty one goals scored in the eleven games between the two clubs, but neither team have managed more than three in a match. Also. apart from our 2-0 home win in 17/18, both teams have scored at least one goal in all of the eleven games. We've scored twenty two of those forty one goals and have managed two or more in a game in all but a couple of 2-1 losses at Griffin Park in 15/16 and 19/20, those figures have got to be better in terms of goals per game than most haven't they (Liverpool's probably higher I would guess)?

Excellent .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sorry to land something on you that would require a lot more work from you I would guess Eric, but our games against Brentford since they returned to the second tier in 13/14 are worth noting.

There have been forty one goals scored in the eleven games between the two clubs, but neither team have managed more than three in a match. Also. apart from our 2-0 home win in 17/18, both teams have scored at least one goal in all of the eleven games. We've scored twenty two of those forty one goals and have managed two or more in a game in all but a couple of 2-1 losses at Griffin Park in 15/16 and 19/20, those figures have got to be better in terms of goals per game than most haven't they (Liverpool's probably higher I would guess)?
    Not too difficult to calculate.

The 11 goals scored over two cup ties against Carlisle at a rate ot 5.5 goals a game is the highest in terms of goals per game. There are a few sides we've played once and had a bit of a goal bonanza.

In terms of opposition we've played more than a few times, Liverpool come top with 4.5 goals a game, followed by Peterborough (4.3), Chelsea (4.2), Man City (4), Bournemouth (3.44) and Brentford (3.42). Just below them come Scunthorpe (3.3), Watford (3.2), Crewe (3.2), West Brom (3.1), Derby (3) and Gillingham (3).

At the other end of the scale comes Tottenham (1.67), Villa (1.7), Everton (1.75), Millwall (1.8), Forest (1.85) , Wigan (1.9) and Swansea & Palace (2).

Not too difficult to calculate.

The 11 goals scored over two cup ties against Carlisle at a rate ot 5.5 goals a game is the highest in terms of goals per game. There are a few sides we've played once and had a bit of a goal bonanza.

In terms of opposition we've played more than a few times, Liverpool come top with 4.5 goals a game, followed by Peterborough (4.3), Chelsea (4.2), Man City (4), Bournemouth (3.44) and Brentford (3.42). Just below them come Scunthorpe (3.3), Watford (3.2), Crewe (3.2), West Brom (3.1), Derby (3) and Gillingham (3).

At the other end of the scale comes Tottenham (1.67), Villa (1.7), Everton (1.75), Millwall (1.8), Forest (1.85) , Wigan (1.9) and Swansea & Palace (2).
    Thanks Eric, surprised to see Bournemouth so high, because apart from that 5-3, no other real high scoring matches spring to mind for me.

As for the lowest, us having not scored against Spurs in six meetings probably has something to do with that one .

Can’t see the Forest average going up much today, looks like a 1-0 type game to me which is a bit concerning as we need to score three or more to win at home these days.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks Eric, surprised to see Bournemouth so high, because apart from that 5-3, no other real high scoring matches spring to mind for me.

As for the lowest, us having not scored against Spurs in six meetings probably has something to do with that one .

Can’t see the Forest average going up much today, looks like a 1-0 type game to me which is a bit concerning as we need to score three or more to win at home these days.
    There was a 3-3 in the League cup at Bournemouth in 2004 as well. 31 goals in 9 games between us, albeit there were 14 in just two.

Thinking as well about the Brentford oddity of so many goals with no side scoring more than 3, next in the gpg table we have a rate of 2.79 against Blackpool where no side ever scored more than 3. Other regular opponents where neither side has managed more than 3 are:

Bolton Wanderers
    Ipswich Town
    Portsmouth
    Plymouth Argyle
    Coventry City
    Southampton
    Stoke City
    Middlesbrough
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Crystal Palace
    Swansea City
    Wigan Athletic
    Nottingham Forest
    Millwall
    Everton
    Aston Villa

In the league we have 100% home records against Doncaster and Gillingham.

I was surprised at this. I thought there would have been more.
    There seem to be a few clubs that get promoted from Lee Gwan but go straight back down and I would have thought there would have been more we'd always beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    In the league we have 100% home records against Doncaster and Gillingham.

I was surprised at this. I thought there would have been more.
    There seem to be a few clubs that get promoted from Lee Gwan but go straight back down and I would have thought there would have been more we'd always beaten.
    In addition, we've won all bar 1 of our home games in all competitions against Huddersfield, Southampton and Burton.

In addition, we've won all bar 1 of our home games in all competitions against Huddersfield, Southampton and Burton.
    Being very nerdish, is the game with Burton that we didn’t win the 4-1 win over them in the League Cup thanks to three goals in extra time?

Skip that, they beat us in another League Cup game didn’t they