+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Remember

Anyone Else Remember

When 5/- (shillings) was referred to as a dollar.

If so you use be getting old. Like me.

Re: Anyone Else Remember

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    When 5/- (shillings) was referred to as a dollar.

If so you use be getting old. Like me.

Half crown...’arf a dollar

https://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_bri...ney/slang.html

I remember my grandfather using 'dollar' for five shillings back in the 60s - but never heard it from anyone else. He's so old he's been dead for almost 40 years!

I don't remember a five-shilling piece but I do remember the half-a-crown coin. Couple of those in your trouser pocket and you had to tighten your belt.

25p chips in les croups used to be called dollar chips.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_bri...ney/slang.html

I remember my grandfather using 'dollar' for five shillings back in the 60s - but never heard it from anyone else. He's so old he's been dead for almost 40 years!
    Yep, my grandparents used to say a dollar for five shillings, many years ago.

All the above

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I don't remember a five-shilling piece but I do remember the half-a-crown coin. Couple of those in your trouser pocket and you had to tighten your belt.
    Ha yes they were quite heavy coins. Even though the five shilling piece was legal tender I never saw any in circulation. I do however own a few, one of them with Winston Churchill on I do believe it came out when he died. Can also remember the farthings and three penny bit. What an old codger.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    Ha yes they were quite heavy coins. Even though the five shilling piece was legal tender I never saw any in circulation. I do however own a few, one of them with Winston Churchill on I do believe it came out when he died. Can also remember the farthings and three penny bit. What an old codger.
    I don’t remember farthings but they disappeared a fair time before the threepenny bit.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I don’t remember farthings but they disappeared a fair time before the threepenny bit.
    Yes you are right. I was born in 53 and they went out of circulation in 56. I never used them but for some reason or another my mum and dad still had them in jars in the house and ive got them now.

I remember the old 'Florin' coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I remember the old 'Florin' coins.
    2/-

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I remember taking 2 half crowns to Junior School on a Monday morning to pay for a week's school dinners. Half a Crown was a substantial coin but was withdrawn in 1970 before decimalisation. Is Junior School still a phrase in usage or has that gone like the half crown ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I remember taking 2 half crowns to Junior School on a Monday morning to pay for a week's school dinners. Half a Crown was a substantial coin but was withdrawn in 1970 before decimalisation. Is Junior School still a phrase in usage or has that gone like the half crown ?
    In my day it was infants, juniors and seniors then get a flipping job. Nowadays its year 5 or year 8 etc, leaves me baffled.

In my day it was infants, juniors and seniors then get a flipping job. Nowadays its year 5 or year 8 etc, leaves me baffled.
    It was.

There are some ‘Old Farts’ on here, thought I was the only one

2/-
    Ah, the two bob bits, had them many a time after a session.

It was.

There are some ‘Old Farts’ on here, thought I was the only one
    Just waiting for someone to mention groats

Honestly no, first time I’ve heard it called a Dollar. What’s the old fart threshold? I was born in the 50s but only just.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Honestly no, first time I’ve heard it called a Dollar. What’s the old fart threshold? I was born in the 50s but only just.
    You have to make your own mind up on ‘Old Fart’ threshold, let’s just say before ……….

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I remember the farthing, with the wren on the reverse - but I think it was an old coin after they went out of circulation as I'd have been t oo young to have been spending them.
    But I have a threepenny bit (pronounced "thruppenny" ) as I told my kids about xmas stocking with an apple and/or orange and a 3d bit at the bottom.
    They got me a threepenny bit one year minted in the year of my birth, cheeky sods

And who remembers someone who was useless at heading the ball being described as having a head like a 'thrupenny' bit?

Pounds, shillings & pence were a great test of mental arithmetic and reckoning up, I’ll stick my neck out here and say that us fossils who were used to the different mixed denominations, 240d to the £, 12d to a shilling etc are better at maths mentally due to this. Strange how 50 years have gone by yet I still say 30 bob rather than the boring One Pound Fifty. Reading about old coins the other day and was surprised to find out that a tanner was previously nicknamed a bender, due to the high silver content it was easy to bend. In the 19th century it was easy to go out and get pissed on 2d, so with 6d you could get hammered, hence the term ‘going on a bender’.

It was Standard 1 to 4 in juniors

Form 1 to Form 6 in High School

Year 6 was further divided into lower 6th upper 6th and 3rd year 6th (this last being for those resiting their A Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    It was Standard 1 to 4 in juniors

Form 1 to Form 6 in High School

Year 6 was further divided into lower 6th upper 6th and 3rd year 6th (this last being for those resiting their A Levels
    That's exactly how I remember it.

And Form 1-4 in Secondary Modern.