+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does everyone on here bank online ?

Does everyone on here bank online ?

I don't

I still get statements in the post

And write cheques

And I use cash

I went to tescos in Bridgend the other day with my penny jar and got 60 quid back

I am living in 1992

Re: Does everyone on here bank online ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I don't

And write cheques

And I use cash

I went to tescos in Bridgend the other day with my penny jar and got 60 quid back

I am living in 1992
    In so many ways

more like 1982

yes it's a doddle sludge

I don't

And write cheques

And I use cash

I am living in 1992
    Don't blame you - that's the year City won Division Three.

I don't

And write cheques

And I use cash

I am living in 1992
    I can't recall the last time I wrote a cheque. Probably about 30 years ago, I would guess.

Yes

I still get statements in the post (bank account and credit card).

I still have a cheque book that I use at least once a year!

I still use cash - though not so much under Copvid.

But I bank online most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Don't blame you - that's the year City won Division Three.
    It was 1993. I left in 1992. We missed out on the playoffs. Drew at home to Crewe and it was all over.

I'm a bit old school like Sludge. I still tend to go to the cashpoint, and pay for my shopping etc with cash.
    I'm not very tech savvy and I'd worry my account could get hacked. So how safe is online banking? What are the benefits? Help change my mind boys.

I don't

And write cheques

And I use cash

I am living in 1992
    Being partially self employed, I've noticed quite a drop in the number of people who use cheques nowadays. 5 years ago I reckon half of my work was paid by cheque. Everyone pays by bank transfer or by cash now. Banks don't routinely send out cheque books any more, either.

I moved to First Direct some 25 years ago, and it's gone from telephone, to online, and now via mobile. I have to say, it's pretty good, and if asked, I always recommend them.

Regarding the use of cash, I went in the small Tesco close to where I work recently, and they had removed the cash option from all of their self-service machines - you have to use a card. So now, you get long queues of people at the till, who all want to pay in cash. Tesco brought in the self-serve to cut down on till use, but now, they have removed the cash element, and as a consequence, they have to re-open the tills. Where is the logic in that?

Needless to say, I join the queue and pay in cash - not because I want to, but because I object to the fact that the machines have been changed. It's almost like I pay in cash just to spite them. I don't mind using a card, but if I want to pay in cash, the option should be there.

I’m also a long term First Direct customer (since 1997) and have seen that transition from phone to web to app, which all the other banks have followed.
    The point is that you don’t have to everything online - society wants to categorise people as digital or analogue, when you can be both.
    Online banking is safe and if your account is hacked through no fault of your own, then it’s the bank’s liability.

I don't

And write cheques

And I use cash

I am living in 1992
    I barter with home grown vegetables for me needs

I split my income into being paid into two different online bank accounts (both of which I use exclusively via mobile phone apps) and switch those funds to two other banks every year i.e. after I have satisfied the terms and conditions for the financial rewards for doing so. It's painless and beats the paltry interest rates available available on current accounts.
    Surprisingly, the PIN sentinel gizmos (or whatever they are called) issued by banks seem to work in respect of other banks.

I am staying old school as long as I can

Sod online banking

Soul Crew Since 1982

Keeping The Faith

I am staying old school as long as I can

Sod online banking

Soul Crew Since 1982

Keeping The Faith
    Does your Patrick Cagoule still fit?

WE have a 'traditional' current account (online) where salaries get paid into and all direct debits go out from. We have a cheque book for it but never use it and get our statements online. Easy enough to transfer money in and out via their app.

But we also use a new online Monzo account where we transfer funds to each week and use that as our running money for the week leaving the normal bank account relatively untouched and just covering the DD. The Monzo account allows us to create separate pots where we allocate money for various reasons so we build up funds for upcoming events, projects etc. The main part of that account comes with joint account debit cards and apple pay so we use it as if it was cash in our pocket and the app updates in real time after each purchase.

The app makes it easy to filter money into many mini pots for things like travel, saving for season tickets, my savings pot for going to the euros (probably be using that for something else though).

So easy to manage it all via the app and not stuffing cash in envelopes or having savings books.

I'm going to take a wild punt here and say that Bluetit doesn't use online banking

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm going to take a wild punt here and say that Bluetit doesn't use online banking
    Cash is king.

Your local postman could drop your statement or cheque book in the wrong house and you could be defrauded that way.
    I know someone who doesn't bank online and her card has cloned in Pretty Miss Cwmbran some years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Being partially self employed, I've noticed quite a drop in the number of people who use cheques nowadays. 5 years ago I reckon half of my work was paid by cheque. Everyone pays by bank transfer or by cash now. Banks don't routinely send out cheque books any more, either.
    When I opened a joint account about 7 years ago I had to ask for a cheque book as thought it would have its uses. We have never used it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    When I opened a joint account about 7 years ago I had to ask for a cheque book as thought it would have its uses. We have never used it though.
    The cost of cheque use has risen significantly.

I do feel for the elderly though as they do and still use the older fiancial methods, as they feel comfortable with them , including wanting to go to thier nearest bank once a month .

There was a move to eliminate cheque clearing by 2018 that has now been put on the back burner as it would effect the elderly, SME's, small self employed business like clubs and at home businesses.

I use Starling Bank for all my business needs, its 100% app based, i can pay in 4 cheques per week by just taking a picture of them, its free, you can have a " virtual card " for any one of payment, so the money goes out and the card is then gone, i have a real card that i have set-up on apple pay, its free ( as its not really a business account )

I get a message when payments are made into the account

you get a payment link , so "payingformattsdisneyholiday".com

a great account, i would move all our banking to them, but the mrs likes the idea of a real bank that you can pop into with any issues

I don't

And write cheques

And I use cash

I am living in 1992
    That was a good year mind, I’d happily pop back there. Care free as fu....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That was a good year mind, I’d happily pop back there. Care free as fu....
    with the knowledge that the best year is just one year away, 93 for me was special