Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
I moved to First Direct some 25 years ago, and it's gone from telephone, to online, and now via mobile. I have to say, it's pretty good, and if asked, I always recommend them.

Regarding the use of cash, I went in the small Tesco close to where I work recently, and they had removed the cash option from all of their self-service machines - you have to use a card. So now, you get long queues of people at the till, who all want to pay in cash. Tesco brought in the self-serve to cut down on till use, but now, they have removed the cash element, and as a consequence, they have to re-open the tills. Where is the logic in that?

Needless to say, I join the queue and pay in cash - not because I want to, but because I object to the fact that the machines have been changed. It's almost like I pay in cash just to spite them. I don't mind using a card, but if I want to pay in cash, the option should be there.
I remember a few years ago when 'my' Tesco introduced self-service tills at the expense of around half a dozen staffed ones. The manager was keenly directing me towards them and was a little taken aback when I told him I preferred to talk another human being and help keep her[him] in a job. I also make a point of using cash for day-to-day purchases.