+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Good Friday

  1. #1

    Good Friday

    Conversation in our house last night, “I’ll get fish for tea tomorrow, being Good Friday? (old Catholic habits die hard), oh and have you done your food for work tomorrow?”.......”Yep, I used that beef that was in the fridge”.

  2. #2

    Re: Good Friday

    I've got this vague memory that my grandparents (Catholic) had fish EVERY Friday. Does that ring any bells?

  3. #3

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I've got this vague memory that my grandparents (Catholic) had fish EVERY Friday. Does that ring any bells?
    Yes that was definitely a thing to have fish every friday

  4. #4

    Re: Good Friday

    That’s true, not just Good Friday, never had meat in our house on a Friday. Lucky to have it any other day mind

  5. #5

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I've got this vague memory that my grandparents (Catholic) had fish EVERY Friday. Does that ring any bells?
    Yes that was definitely a thing to have fish every friday

  6. #6

    Re: Good Friday

    As a Catholic child Good Friday was tough. It was a Friday, no school but you had to be dressed smart for a grim afternoon in church with it all stripped down with no flowers or joy, priest wearing black cassocks and a silent packed church in mourning.

    Then you had to go up to the front to kiss the feet of Jesus (covid rules won't allow that to happen today).

    My grandparents (who we lived with) were traditional church goers and always had fish on Friday as well, usually with parsley sauce (yuck) and boiled potatoes.

  7. #7

    Re: Good Friday

    I have some nice lightly dusted sole fillets from Waitrose for tea.

  8. #8

    Re: Good Friday

    Married a catholic, l’m making a fish curry later.

    We usually have fish on Friday. Def a tradition in her family.

  9. #9

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yes that was definitely a thing to have fish every friday
    Was? When did fish Friday stop, I didn’t get the memo ( neither did my hunter gatherer other half)

  10. #10

    Re: Good Friday

    Met my missus on Good Friday 1996. Marrying her on Monday 25 years to the day we met. Stag nights in my back garden tonight and tomorrow night (rule of six)

  11. #11

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Met my missus on Good Friday 1996. Marrying her on Monday 25 years to the day we met. Stag nights in my back garden tonight and tomorrow night (rule of six)
    I’d imagine more than six will be consumed, congratulations hope it works out as you get to know each other over time

  12. #12

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Met my missus on Good Friday 1996. Marrying her on Monday 25 years to the day we met. Stag nights in my back garden tonight and tomorrow night (rule of six)
    Pearcey, have you thought it through? You don't have to 'rush in'

  13. #13

    Re: Good Friday

    Yeah thanks boys. We have both been married before. I had always assumed that having been together for so long we would have the same rights as a married couple. Not so. So time to get hitched.

  14. #14

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Pearcey, have you thought it through? You don't have to 'rush in'
    Good luck with the wedding Pearcey

  15. #15

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Met my missus on Good Friday 1996. Marrying her on Monday 25 years to the day we met. Stag nights in my back garden tonight and tomorrow night (rule of six)
    Hope you are as happy as I thought I was going to be (32 years and counting)

  16. #16

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Conversation in our house last night, “I’ll get fish for tea tomorrow, being Good Friday? (old Catholic habits die hard), oh and have you done your food for work tomorrow?”.......”Yep, I used that beef that was in the fridge”.
    Was it just Catholic as we had fish every Friday as welland we were protestants but then we could tell what day it was by what mum cooked? 👍

  17. #17

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Was it just Catholic as we had fish every Friday as welland we were protestants but then we could tell what day it was by what mum cooked? ��
    I could usually tell which day it was by what my mother cooked. An awful day most of the time, especially around about meal time.

  18. #18

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I could usually tell which day it was by what my mother cooked. An awful day most of the time, especially around about meal time.
    Haha - in fairness to my mum she did the basic foods really well - stews, roasts etc and did a spotted dick to die for 👍😂

  19. #19

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I could usually tell which day it was by what my mother cooked. An awful day most of the time, especially around about meal time.
    We laugh now at how bad a cook my mother was, she’d start boiling the cabbage on a Thursday for Sunday dinner. How she got the gravy the shade of grey that she did is one of life’s mysteries.

  20. #20

    Re: Good Friday

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We laugh now at how bad a cook my mother was, she’d start boiling the cabbage on a Thursday for Sunday dinner. How she got the gravy the shade of grey that she did is one of life’s mysteries.
    my missus is the same. Boils veg until it turns to mash, and the meat has to be identified by it's dental records,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •