+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Home form continues to be the problem for tired looking Cardiff City.

Home form continues to be the problem for tired looking Cardiff City.

City worth a point but lack of creativity costs them.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Home form continues to be the problem for tired looking Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    City worth a point but lack of creativity costs them.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Another good write up Paul.

City only appear to be effective and clinical when we have far less of the ball. How bizarre that statement is and needs to be addressed in the transfer window and on the training pitch.

When teams snuff out Moore or he has an average game, we look awful. Everything breaks down and we can't change the way we play.

Even if we had a replacement for Moore yesterday it wouldn't have made any difference as the game plan needed to change, not just the personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Another good write up Paul.

City only appear to be effective and clinical when we have far less of the ball. How bizarre that statement is and needs to be addressed in the transfer window and on the training pitch.

When teams snuff out Moore or he has an average game, we look awful. Everything breaks down and we can't change the way we play.

Even if we had a replacement for Moore yesterday it wouldn't have made any difference as the game plan needed to change, not just the personnel.
    People who know more about these things than me talk about how players and teams expend more energy when not in possession than they do when they have the ball. That seems perfectly reasonable to me and yet the logical conclusion of the way this season has gone so far is that we’ll be deliberately looking to pass the ball to our opponents so we can become more dangerous .

We had 8 players back in and around our box to cover 6 attacking players, 6 in our box to cover 4, for the goal we conceded. Brown and Flint both seem to be concerned with the same forward, Pack appears to do the right thing for first phase of attack but barely moves for second and Vaulks appears to do the wrong thing for first phase and then reacts far too slowly which gives Garner all the time in the world.

MM poor use of the bench has cost us a point against Watford (debatable), two points against Stoke (strong argument) and at least one point against Forest (strong argument). It's a growing concern for next year, as is having a five (Flint, Brown, Nelson, Pack, Vaulks) who barely help us keep and move the ball yet still concede space in/around our box.

First choice team for rest of the year:

Phillips

NG
    Morrison
    Flint
    Brown (we know what Nelson can do and need to decide whether to renew Brown's deal)
    Ralls

Sang
    Vaulks/Pack

Wilson/Williams

Murphy/Harris
    Moore (needs more protection from manager)

I'd change it up for Wednesday. Moore definitely needs a rest and I think he's earned one with his performances this season. 4-2-3-1 with Harris/Watters up front. I also think Vaulks needs a break.

Phillips

Ng Nelson Flint Brown

Pack Ralls/Sang

Wilson Williams Murphy

Harris/Watters

We actually passed the ball around a bit when Williams, Colwill & Harris came on

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd change it up for Wednesday. Moore definitely needs a rest and I think he's earned one with his performances this season. 4-2-3-1 with Harris/Watters up front. I also think Vaulks needs a break.

Phillips

Ng Nelson Flint Brown

Pack Ralls/Sang

Wilson Williams Murphy

Harris/Watters

We actually passed the ball around a bit when Williams, Colwill & Harris came on
    The problem is that neither Harris nor Watters look like they are capable of playing up front on their own in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Phillips

Ng Nelson Flint Brown

Pack Ralls/Sang

Wilson Williams Murphy

Harris/Watters

I don't disagree with that. The problem is that having put ourselves in touch of the play offs the manager will play the percentage game and percentage wise the current system has worked quite well... So there are unlikely to be major changes. That in turn means that we can't try new systems and therefore develop different ways of playing which in the long run we definitely need.

Catch 22 really.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The problem is that neither Harris nor Watters look like they are capable of playing up front on their own in the Championship.
    If we persist with three at the back, which I think is a mistake with Bennett and Bagan injured, then we could go with two strikers with Wilson in the 10 role

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I don't disagree with that. The problem is that having put ourselves in touch of the play offs the manager will play the percentage game and percentage wise the current system has worked quite well... So there are unlikely to be major changes. That in turn means that we can't try new systems and therefore develop different ways of playing which in the long run we definitely need.

Catch 22 really.
    I think realistically yesterday's defeat has blown any chance of the playoffs. We're 5 points off the playoffs (7 if Bournemouth win their game in hand). It would take quite the run from us and quite the bottlejob from others to get us into the top 6

There was a comment earlier about not wanting the ball. I said the same thing during the game. We look as though we don’t actually want the ball. That not only includes when we haven’t got it, but it looks like we give it away on purpose.