+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

nice post chris lee a different view from us the older generation

we certainly had a different view on life back then and the way the way you young people are told to go to uni to survive in the modern world which we didn't have to do to survive back then

without getting too political i don't want lardy and cyril on my back again theres been a huge influx of immigration to the UK from that time as a youngster do you think thats hindered your chance to progress in the UK with a career ?

or you of the time where moving around to find work in the world the norm these days ? i have worked with many eastern europeans in the last 5 years and most young europeans travel for work it seems particularly the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    nice post chris lee a different view from us the older generation

we certainly had a different view on life back then and the way the way you young people are told to go to uni to survive in the modern world which we didn't have to do to survive back then

without getting too political i don't want lardy and cyril on my back again theres been a huge influx of immigration to the UK from that time as a youngster do you think thats hindered your chance to progress in the UK with a career ?

or you of the time where moving around to find work in the world the norm these days ? i have worked with many eastern europeans in the last 5 years and most young europeans travel for work it seems particularly the Uk

I think the problem Career wise with a a lot of people my age is as you said, being encouraged to go to university straight from school. I would not necessary say it is hard to get a career these days, if you are one of those lucky people that know exactly what they want to do in life the paths are pretty clear and well trodden.

I just think we were never encouraged to explore options, I remember being 17 in school one day and with no notice the teacher walking in and saying okay we are doing all your UCAS (Uni) applications today. Most of just chose a subject we were all ready doing for our A-levels ( business for myself)

My parents and grandparents thought it would be great to be the first person in my family to go to Uni so I just did.

After Uni I worked abroad in the USA for two years and Italy for 1 year, in hospitality and childcare, by the time I was 24 I would loved to have gone back to Uni and studied a vocational subject that I would have most likely enjoyed and been passionate about (such as physiotherapy, which I became interested while working at a sports camp)
    However by then I had already done the whole uni thing for 3 years and had 23k debt in my name, while people say it is never too late, the fact of the matter it is, it is very difficult to finance another degree once you have been down through the system once.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think the problem Career wise with a a lot of people my age is as you said, being encouraged to go to university straight from school. I would not necessary say it is hard to get a career these days, if you are one of those lucky people that know exactly what they want to do in life the paths are pretty clear and well trodden.

I just think we were never encouraged to explore options, I remember being 17 in school one day and with no notice the teacher walking in and saying okay we are doing all your UCAS (Uni) applications today. Most of just chose a subject we were all ready doing for our A-levels ( business for myself)

My parents and grandparents thought it would be great to be the first person in my family to go to Uni so I just did.

After Uni I worked abroad in the USA for two years and Italy for 1 year, in hospitality and childcare, by the time I was 24 I would loved to have gone back to Uni and studied a vocational subject that I would have most likely enjoyed and been passionate about (such as physiotherapy, which I became interested while working at a sports camp)
    However by then I had already done the whole uni thing for 3 years and had 23k debt in my name, while people say it is never too late, the fact of the matter it is, it is very difficult to finance another degree once you have been down through the system once.
    I remember how much we were encouraged to apply to uni - lessons just dedicated to UCAS process. I know the job market changes a lot in the 3 years of doing a degree but I think it's a bit of a pressure for a 17-year-old to make such a huge choice, especially as you say for one that can be only made once

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I remember how much we were encouraged to apply to uni - lessons just dedicated to UCAS process. I know the job market changes a lot in the 3 years of doing a degree but I think it's a bit of a pressure for a 17-year-old to make such a huge choice, especially as you say for one that can be only made once
    You should have tried applying to University 50 years ago when there were so few places only around 2% of the school population managed to get a place. On the other hand jobs were far easier to come by back then but the current glut of University places is a matter of concern. Kids should choose their courses wisely as there are so many graduates now working in jobs that lead nowhere. Anyone not choosing a vocational degree is likely to find it hard getting a career as opposed to a job. However, you are right things are tough for kids today.