Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
You should have tried applying to University 50 years ago when there were so few places only around 2% of the school population managed to get a place. On the other hand jobs were far easier to come by back then but the current glut of University places is a matter of concern. Kids should choose their courses wisely as there are so many graduates now working in jobs that lead nowhere. Anyone not choosing a vocational degree is likely to find it hard getting a career as opposed to a job. However, you are right things are tough for kids today.
Yeah, I get you mean with the choice of courses. My subject choices taught me a wide range of skills, which I could apply to many jobs that led to careers so I had more options (well in theory at least!) And that was despite the fact that is was kinda vocational (some could argue it is, some could argue otherwise). And even then job hunting was tough.

And with degrees that are definitely vocational, many students need to have relevant work experience and extra curricular activities to get a job that leads to a career.

I think with universities, they are run as a business so they encourage people to just apply. That probably led to a glut. But it would be interesting to see how many of the places are taken by international students who pay more tbh.