+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

I’m in my Jordan year

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I’m in my Jordan year
    Jordan + Cruyff + Pele + Merv.

All of the glory hunting younger supporters who jumped on board after 2003 have been frightened away

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    70s and 80s - easily, and for all sorts of reasons, but housing is the worst part.
    I thought it was difficult buying property when I was in my twenties, but it's ten times harder these days.
    Back then, I was earning £10k a year, so three times my salary and a 10% deposit (£3k) meant I could buy a cheap house.
    These days, a cheap house is £200k, and even with a 10% deposit, you need to be earning £60k a year to meet the repayments. And what youngster is earning that? Half of them are on minimum hours contracts, where they can work a maximum of 16 hours. How can they expect to get a house, or raise a family?
    ^^^this

I would add that you could pretty much choose the type of work you wanted to, even with minimal qualifications.
    Many are now just happy to be earning, including those with degrees and dirty fat student loans to pay off.

Scary for kids these days.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    70s and 80s - easily, and for all sorts of reasons, but housing is the worst part.
    I thought it was difficult buying property when I was in my twenties, but it's ten times harder these days.
    Back then, I was earning £10k a year, so three times my salary and a 10% deposit (£3k) meant I could buy a cheap house.
    These days, a cheap house is £200k, and even with a 10% deposit, you need to be earning £60k a year to meet the repayments. And what youngster is earning that? Half of them are on minimum hours contracts, where they can work a maximum of 16 hours. How can they expect to get a house, or raise a family?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ^^^this

I would add that you could pretty much choose the type of work you wanted to, even with minimal qualifications.
    Many are now just happy to be earning, including those with degrees and dirty fat student loans to pay off.

Scary for kids these days.
    Totally agree.
    I left uni (well, polytechnic) in 1977 , debt-free. By 1979 I had a flat in LONDON for £14000. Can't get a shed for that these days.

Teenager in the 70s, hedonism in the early 80s, not swapping for anything thanks.

my age is irrelevant

I am an earth rocker

And will live forever

nice post chris lee a different view from us the older generation

we certainly had a different view on life back then and the way the way you young people are told to go to uni to survive in the modern world which we didn't have to do to survive back then

without getting too political i don't want lardy and cyril on my back again theres been a huge influx of immigration to the UK from that time as a youngster do you think thats hindered your chance to progress in the UK with a career ?

or you of the time where moving around to find work in the world the norm these days ? i have worked with many eastern europeans in the last 5 years and most young europeans travel for work it seems particularly the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    nice post chris lee a different view from us the older generation

we certainly had a different view on life back then and the way the way you young people are told to go to uni to survive in the modern world which we didn't have to do to survive back then

without getting too political i don't want lardy and cyril on my back again theres been a huge influx of immigration to the UK from that time as a youngster do you think thats hindered your chance to progress in the UK with a career ?

or you of the time where moving around to find work in the world the norm these days ? i have worked with many eastern europeans in the last 5 years and most young europeans travel for work it seems particularly the Uk

I think the problem Career wise with a a lot of people my age is as you said, being encouraged to go to university straight from school. I would not necessary say it is hard to get a career these days, if you are one of those lucky people that know exactly what they want to do in life the paths are pretty clear and well trodden.

I just think we were never encouraged to explore options, I remember being 17 in school one day and with no notice the teacher walking in and saying okay we are doing all your UCAS (Uni) applications today. Most of just chose a subject we were all ready doing for our A-levels ( business for myself)

My parents and grandparents thought it would be great to be the first person in my family to go to Uni so I just did.

After Uni I worked abroad in the USA for two years and Italy for 1 year, in hospitality and childcare, by the time I was 24 I would loved to have gone back to Uni and studied a vocational subject that I would have most likely enjoyed and been passionate about (such as physiotherapy, which I became interested while working at a sports camp)
    However by then I had already done the whole uni thing for 3 years and had 23k debt in my name, while people say it is never too late, the fact of the matter it is, it is very difficult to finance another degree once you have been down through the system once.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think the problem Career wise with a a lot of people my age is as you said, being encouraged to go to university straight from school. I would not necessary say it is hard to get a career these days, if you are one of those lucky people that know exactly what they want to do in life the paths are pretty clear and well trodden.

I just think we were never encouraged to explore options, I remember being 17 in school one day and with no notice the teacher walking in and saying okay we are doing all your UCAS (Uni) applications today. Most of just chose a subject we were all ready doing for our A-levels ( business for myself)

My parents and grandparents thought it would be great to be the first person in my family to go to Uni so I just did.

After Uni I worked abroad in the USA for two years and Italy for 1 year, in hospitality and childcare, by the time I was 24 I would loved to have gone back to Uni and studied a vocational subject that I would have most likely enjoyed and been passionate about (such as physiotherapy, which I became interested while working at a sports camp)
    However by then I had already done the whole uni thing for 3 years and had 23k debt in my name, while people say it is never too late, the fact of the matter it is, it is very difficult to finance another degree once you have been down through the system once.
    I remember how much we were encouraged to apply to uni - lessons just dedicated to UCAS process. I know the job market changes a lot in the 3 years of doing a degree but I think it's a bit of a pressure for a 17-year-old to make such a huge choice, especially as you say for one that can be only made once

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I remember how much we were encouraged to apply to uni - lessons just dedicated to UCAS process. I know the job market changes a lot in the 3 years of doing a degree but I think it's a bit of a pressure for a 17-year-old to make such a huge choice, especially as you say for one that can be only made once
    You should have tried applying to University 50 years ago when there were so few places only around 2% of the school population managed to get a place. On the other hand jobs were far easier to come by back then but the current glut of University places is a matter of concern. Kids should choose their courses wisely as there are so many graduates now working in jobs that lead nowhere. Anyone not choosing a vocational degree is likely to find it hard getting a career as opposed to a job. However, you are right things are tough for kids today.

thanks for that chris lee and i think that applies to many famillies when you said being first to go to uni at your age

our age group didn't have too to get on what a difference 30 years does

wish we had a few more younger city fans on here rather than us older generation to keep this board going

we keep going on about the 70's /80's on here which must drive you mad but they were really good times in terms of music and fashion . keep posting

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    thanks for that chris lee and i think that applies to many famillies when you said being first to go to uni at your age

our age group didn't have too to get on what a difference 30 years does

wish we had a few more younger city fans on here rather than us older generation to keep this board going

we keep going on about the 70's /80's on here which must drive you mad but they were really good times in terms of music and fashion . keep posting
    Good reply to Chris' posts, Mozz. When I left school in '76, I don't recall anyone, family or school staff members, sitting down with me and asking me what I wanted to do.
    My school (Glantaf, English back then) didn't even have a 6th form.

There was an abundance of jobs at that time; I was taking home a "man's" wage at 18, working at the GKN steelworks. However, it was just that.. a job. By the time I had mentally matured and decided maybe it was about time I thought about a career, avenues were already closing due to not falling within the strict age criteria for re-training (ageism was more of a thing back then).
    So, I just ambled on - life was simpler back then. You just focused on the upcoming weekend and back to work on the Monday.

I feel for the younger generation, burdened with debt from university and not a hope in hell of getting on the property ladder. Their only chance is through inheritance.

34, only time I’ve felt young in a while is reading this thread. It seems like younger posters stopped joining one social media got bigger.

Was very lucky to be one of the last few to have “cheap” university fees, and still managed to have about £12k worth of debt, a lot more manageable than it is now though.

The advancement in technology alone in my lifetime has been unbelievable.
    When i was a kid, we shared a party line with the woman across the road on our house phone, we had to put a 50 pence piece in the back of the TV, you had to get off your arse to change one of the 3 channels, and most of my music was taped on cassettes, from the radio, where you had to try and avoid the DJ’s voice 😂

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The advancement in technology alone in my lifetime has been unbelievable.
    When i was a kid, we shared a party line with the woman across the road on our house phone, we had to put a 50 pence piece in the back of the TV, you had to get off your arse to change one of the 3 channels, and most of my music was taped on cassettes, from the radio, where you had to try and avoid the DJ’s voice ��
    TV was from Rentaset, you never bought one, party phone lines, but recording songs from the Light Programme on a Sunday to a Tape Recorder, the forerunner to Radio 1 cassettes didn’t come in til the 70’s. Those were the days as the one goes.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    TV was from Rentaset, you never bought one, party phone lines, but recording songs from the Light Programme on a Sunday to a Tape Recorder, the forerunner to Radio 1 cassettes didn’t come in til the 70’s. Those were the days as the one goes.

When I was a nipper We had our tv from Radio rentals in Canton on the weekly

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    When I was a nipper We had our tv from Radio rentals in Canton on the weekly
    That premises is now a take away pizza place

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    That premises is now a take away pizza place
    Is that Caprinos? Delicious pizza there

45 with the body of a 65 year old and the mind of a 15.

Returning to Chris’ interesting posts earlier, one huge difference that your generation missed out on is that we older folk did not have to build up a loan when entering further education. Unless you were from a wealthy family, one received a grant which didn’t have to be paid back ever which covered your tuition and living costs.

Having moderate social tastes (I was very interested in sport and women but less keen on copious amounts of alcohol, travel and expensive music/concerts) my grant paid for modest summer holidays and all my social needs including seeing girlfriends. In my time Chris, men paid for women; we didn’t go ‘Dutch’ - of course males weren’t fashion conscious like they are now not caring overmuch about their clothes, whilst girls had their make up to pay for, keeping up with female fashions and generally earned considerably less than blokes.

It was far easier for youngsters making their way in the world in the 1970s and 1980s than it is today. Though I still recall my parents thinking our first mortgage on a large maisonette of £25,000 being immense! Ask your grandparents what the cost of housing was in their time and that of their parents. You will probably be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    So far, I am the oldest.
    Yet another one older than you Stan. I'm 73.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Yet another one older than you Stan. I'm 73.
    I always thought you were much older than that but good for your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I always thought you were much older than that but good for your age.
    I thought 'that's nice'. Then I reread it 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I thought 'that's nice'. Then I reread it ��