+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

Re: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    an anover fing-

It seems the norm these days for many people to take a "gap year" after uni (or even school) and go travelling.

How the *** do they afford it?
    Maybe the student loans are too generous?

Im my day, I had a student grant that didn't need repaying (a whole £90 per term in my first year) but it was for the vast majority School->uni>work before we had any money we could put aside for a holiday, let slone a year off.
    Uni seems more of a wealthy person's gig now. Next door is a student house and they have at least 3 cars between them. Some students are buying houses in the area as an investment, backed by their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I remember how much we were encouraged to apply to uni - lessons just dedicated to UCAS process. I know the job market changes a lot in the 3 years of doing a degree but I think it's a bit of a pressure for a 17-year-old to make such a huge choice, especially as you say for one that can be only made once
    You should have tried applying to University 50 years ago when there were so few places only around 2% of the school population managed to get a place. On the other hand jobs were far easier to come by back then but the current glut of University places is a matter of concern. Kids should choose their courses wisely as there are so many graduates now working in jobs that lead nowhere. Anyone not choosing a vocational degree is likely to find it hard getting a career as opposed to a job. However, you are right things are tough for kids today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    You should have tried applying to University 50 years ago when there were so few places only around 2% of the school population managed to get a place. On the other hand jobs were far easier to come by back then but the current glut of University places is a matter of concern. Kids should choose their courses wisely as there are so many graduates now working in jobs that lead nowhere. Anyone not choosing a vocational degree is likely to find it hard getting a career as opposed to a job. However, you are right things are tough for kids today.
    Yeah, I get you mean with the choice of courses. My subject choices taught me a wide range of skills, which I could apply to many jobs that led to careers so I had more options (well in theory at least!) And that was despite the fact that is was kinda vocational (some could argue it is, some could argue otherwise). And even then job hunting was tough.

And with degrees that are definitely vocational, many students need to have relevant work experience and extra curricular activities to get a job that leads to a career.

I think with universities, they are run as a business so they encourage people to just apply. That probably led to a glut. But it would be interesting to see how many of the places are taken by international students who pay more tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Here in China, they're more likely to choose Chemical Engineering or some other worthwhile degree - in the UK they'll go for a BA in Celtic Studies or Ceramic Design (pottery!)

I'm 55 this month

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I'm 55 this month
    Whippersnapper!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I'm 55 this month
    Still shitting yellow

49, big 50 in December...God willing

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm 61.
    Ever thought of working part-time?

an anover fing-

It seems the norm these days for many people to take a "gap year" after uni (or even school) and go travelling.

Im my day, I had a student grant that didn't need repaying (a whole £90 per term in my first year) but it was for the vast majority School->uni>work before we had any money we could put aside for a holiday, let slone a year off.
    A gap year isn't necessarily a year long holiday though. I worked for a year after uni and then went travelling for a year but worked in pubs/fruit picking/a drainage company and various other things whilst I was away

an anover fing-

The Bank of Mum and Dad.

It's my 70th on Tuesday and, I think, I'm the oldest poster so far. Hopefully, I can retire by the end of the year.

International

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    It's my 70th on Tuesday and, I think, I'm the oldest poster so far. Hopefully, I can retire by the end of the year.
    No you ain't
    Look at Lee Van Cleef's post lo

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    You're just a juvenile. A few have posted as being over 70 including me!

Can anyone be bothered to trawl through the replies and work out our average age? At the moment, I can’t summon the energy - being older.

Seeing as the vast majority of us are over 50, I hope at least some of you taken the advice given in this old thread
    https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...1-One-in-eight

Bob, I just went through this in January/February this year when I showed up a PSA of 3.25 in a routine health blood test which I requested. Not very high but my doctor said everyone recording over 3.0 should go for an MRI scan. This showed Up abnormalities which gave a score which suggested I had a 54% chance of suffering with cancer.

Was then told to have a biopsy which was no worse than being uncomfortable as you said in your link. Luckily I am free of cancer but even if I had had it; at this early stage it would have been easily treated. In what way, I don’t know. Now I am on their “books”, the hospital plan is to give me another blood test every 6 months.

I didn’t have any symptoms other than needing to urinate more frequently especially after pints of beer. Also I have to pee 2 or 3 times each night. So I don’t drink much beer now as 3-4 pints takes about 12 hours to get through my system and then I need to pee less often!

So it is worth having a routine blood test for your well being which checks the prostate, cholesterol, diabetes etc.

Bob, glad you posted your link and pray that you are still well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Bob, I just went through this in January/February this year when I showed up a PSA of 3.25 in a routine health blood test which I requested. Not very high but my doctor said everyone recording over 3.0 should go for an MRI scan. This showed Up abnormalities which gave a score which suggested I had a 54% chance of suffering with cancer.

Was then told to have a biopsy which was no worse than being uncomfortable as you said in your link. Luckily I am free of cancer but even if I had had it; at this early stage it would have been easily treated. In what way, I don’t know. Now I am on their “books”, the hospital plan is to give me another blood test every 6 months.

I didn’t have any symptoms other than needing to urinate more frequently especially after pints of beer. Also I have to pee 2 or 3 times each night. So I don’t drink much beer now as 3-4 pints takes about 12 hours to get through my system and then I need to pee less often!

So it is worth having a routine blood test for your well being which checks the prostate, cholesterol, diabetes etc.

Bob, glad you posted your link and pray that you are still well.
    I'm still clear, thanks.
    Hope things go well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Can anyone be bothered to trawl through the replies and work out our average age? At the moment, I can’t summon the energy - being older.
    All I can say Stan is that you are just a pipsqueak as are the majority on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Uni seems more of a wealthy person's gig now. Next door is a student house and they have at least 3 cars between them. Some students are buying houses in the area as an investment, backed by their parents.
    Must be different to my boys then they owe around £70k between the 3 that went to Uni. No bank of Mum & Dad here.

With age comes wisdom yet we are all daft enough to follow a club that plays unattractive football.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    All I can say Stan is that you are just a pipsqueak as are the majority on here.
    I wish!!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    TV was from Rentaset, you never bought one, party phone lines, but recording songs from the Light Programme on a Sunday to a Tape Recorder, the forerunner to Radio 1 cassettes didn’t come in til the 70’s. Those were the days as the one goes.

When I was a nipper We had our tv from Radio rentals in Canton on the weekly

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    When I was a nipper We had our tv from Radio rentals in Canton on the weekly
    That premises is now a take away pizza place